Hummingbird cakes with Coconut Crust

Let me take a minute to catch my breath! Since Christmas I began a full time job at a sandwich and coffee bar which was kept me busy from 9am-5pm everyday.  Sadly, I haven't had time to sit around and just be, let alone consider baking or blogging.  Sure enough, my Dad started to complain for sweets or cakes and I knew it was time that I focused on my own kitchen for a little bit instead of the one at work! I made these hummingbird cakes with a coconut crust, and I think they will satisfy my family for the time being! They report that their favourite part was definitely the sweet and chewy coconut crust.  I added extra mashed banana for a gooey-pudding like texture; but the recipe below should get you a normal cupcake texture.  Enjoy!  I hope to be back soon!

Ingredients
440g can crushed pinneapple in natural juices or syrup (depending on sweet tooth)
1 cup plain flour
1/2 cup self-raising flour
1/2 tsp bicarb soda
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp ground ginger
1 tsp vanilla
3/4 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup desiccated coconut
1 cup mashed banana
2 eggs, beaten lightly
3/4 cup vegetable oil

Ingredients for Coconut crust
3 cups shredded coconut
1/2 cup brown sugar
3 eggs, beaten lightly

Method
Preheat oven to 160 degrees fanforced.  Prepare muffin pan. Drain pineapple over a bowl and extract as much syrup as possible. Reserve 1/4 cup of the syrup or juice; this is all you will use.  Sift flours, soda, spices and sugar into large bowl.  Stir in drained pinnepaple, 1/4 cup of syrup/juice, coconut, banana, egg and oil.  Spoon mixture into paper cases; bake 10 minutes.  Meanwhile make coconut crust by combining all the ingredients in a bowl and mixing thoroughly. Spoon on top of cakes evenly and return to oven, baking for about 15 minutes.  Serve lightly dusted with icing sugar, if you like.  I added more mashed banana to my recipe to get a more moist-pudding like texture.

Comments

  1. J'adore ces gâteaux, ils ont l'air délicieux!

    ReplyDelete
  2. They look quite delicious and I love coconut. Diane. Don't overdo it!! Diane

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hope you get some time to yourself :) These cakes look delicious! I'm not a fan of coconut but I know a lot of people who are so I'll keep this in mind for them :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. They look really good and the different textures must be quite delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  5. extra mashed banana? i will sure love that! all the best in your job!

    ReplyDelete
  6. These look great - I love anything with coconut

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good luck for your job ! But be sure to keep some extra time for your family ! ;o)
    Hélène

    ReplyDelete
  8. you know what? these would make perfect "nests" for an easter treat! hmm... yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  9. No wonder i haven't seen any recent blogpost from you! Glad you found time to blog about these yummy tarts!

    ReplyDelete
  10. These look amazing! I love the addition of the coconut crust - delish!

    ReplyDelete
  11. this post is really helpful for me. i tried many time to make this cake. then i saw your blog. the way you used to teach this recipe is amazing. and i also post your recipe to mine blog. ganga cassets

    ReplyDelete
  12. Have you now been looking desperately searching for employment for weeks or even years? It can be hard not finding a job, playbazaarespecially if you were let go from the previous job. The following article will give you to do just that.
    satta king

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment