Oops!...and some Whoopies!

Okay, time for a big apology! Oops! In fact, major oops! I have totally abadonned my blog for the past 8 weeks! But, I have a decent excuse.  I have started back at University.  And I have changed my uni course.  I am now studying a Bachelor of Arts majoring in French and majoring in Religious Studies, as well as a Bachelor of Secondary Education.  All that will allow me, in 4 years time, to become a high school teacher! But, don't think that for the next 4 years I will be off-and-on this blog.  I am totally renewing my committment here. 

I am really loving university.  I love my subjects and also my campus is just gorgeous.  They have a bookstore there! I joined their discount club straight away because I just knew that I would be going there during my study breaks to browse the cookbook section.  In fact, it was just this week that I bought my first book from there.  Wanna know what I got? A Whoopie book.  That's right, I've finally sucumb to the whoopie cooking craze.  It's just getting popular here in Australia. I've sighted a few cafés (around uni) that are selling whoopies.  Although, there are still many of my friends that don't know what a whoopie is.  For anyone who doesn't know, it's a cross between a cake and a cookie.  Really delicious! If you haven't tried this American craze, then go do it now! Start with this basic recipe below. For those of you whoopie experts, please recommend me your favourite whoopie flavour or recipe! Much appreciated!

Ingredients
90g unsalted butter, softened
1/3 cup caster sugar
1 egg, room temperature
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 cup self raising flour
1/4 cup milk

Ingredients for Buttercream
125g unsalted butter, softened
1 1/2 cups icing sugar
+ sprinkles

Method

Preheat oven to 180 degrees (fan-forced) and line 2 baking trays.  Beat together butter and sugar until pale and creamy.  Add egg and vanilla and beat well. With mixer on low speed, add flour and milk alternatively in 2 batches each.  Beat on low speed for roughly 2 minutes or until well combined.  Use 2cm plain nozzle to pipe 3cm by 2.5cm rounds on the trays.  Leave 5cm space between each mound (allow for spreading in oven).  Bake for 8 minutes, swapping trays around after 6 minutes; or until light golden and just firm to touch.  Cool on trays.  Meanwhile beat together the soft butter for buttercream with the icing sugar.  Use a plain nozzle to pipe onto a cooled- whoopie.  Sandwich with another whoopie. Shake sprinkles, over a bowl, around the edge of the whoopie; aiming for the buttercream-filled slit.  Serve.

Comments

  1. Aha, so that is where you have been, I was beginning to worry. I really thought that when you left school you would become a chef, a teacher is a big surprise to me. Whatever, you will have to come to France to polish up your French :-) I have a nephew in Sydney who is doing French at UNI, he spent a gap year here first and I could not believe how he improved working around on odd student jobs. Keep well this recipe looks delish Diane

    ReplyDelete
  2. cela me semble délicieux bravo
    bonne journée

    ReplyDelete
  3. I thought these were macarons at first! :) Laduree is now in NYC you know. Yes we have these pies down here in Alabama too.
    V

    ReplyDelete
  4. Whoopie! welcome back! seems as if I'm in good company now that you're setting your eyes on being a secondary school teacher! Hope September goes smoothly!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good dear!!!!!! look amazing! Im happy you come back with all!! I missed you a lot!! gloria

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy to see you back:) Your whoopies look so delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Those Whoopie Pies looks super-yummy! Hope all your classes go well this year!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Brittany! Welcome back! Thought that you would be busy with your studies! Your whoopies are looking great! Have not tried making any yet, though they are on the list for sometime now!
    All the best in your studies and enjoy your Uni!

    ReplyDelete
  9. your whoopie pies look perfect! so fun to read you want to become a high school teacher. I'm in the process of becoming an English teacher myself. I hope to get my degree in six months from now.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your whoopie pies look wonderful! And congrats on going back to school. Being a high school teacher is a fantastic job! =o) Good luck and can't wait to see what else you're going to whip up =o)

    ReplyDelete
  11. So glad you're back! What book did you buy on whoopie pies?
    They look awesome with the sprinkles!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Contente que tu sois revenue. Vas-tu devenir un professeur de français?
    Je n'ai encore pas fait de whoopies. Il va falloir que je m'y mette.
    A très bientôt

    ReplyDelete
  13. hi brittany, just see how much you love baking ! instead of some other boks that you shld hv got from the library, you got yourself a whoppie book!! no, havent done a whoopie before. all the best!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Welcome back! Congrats on going back to University. That is an exciting time in life. Love your whoppie pies.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Welcome back! Good luck with uni.
    Whoopie pies are nice and yours looks so pretty with the decoration around the middle!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your vanilla whoopie pies look delicious! I always prefer vanilla over chocolate! I'd like to invite you to share your recipe on Sweet Indulgences Sunday.

    http://www.wellseasonedlife.com/2011/09/sweet-indulgences-sunday-20.html

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hello

    I came here to wish a good week.
    Delicious recipe to savor slowly.

    A kiss.

    Nita

    ReplyDelete
  18. I was given a Whoopie "kit" for Christmas last year and have made them once (chocolate). My heart (and taste buds) belong to macarons, but yours look fabulous!

    Bises,
    Genie

    ReplyDelete
  19. Welcome back- Teaching is a fulfilling profession- I wish you well in your studies! My favorite whoopies are chocolate with a vanilla filling, but your vanilla ones look yummy too. I love the sprinkles around the edges. :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Welcome back Brittany - you are going to be very busy studying and blogging - but I hope your enjoy the journey!
    Must make those delightful whoopie cakes!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I'm glad that you are up and running again after your break. I know how you feel with the overloaded activities and work balance, it really hits you hard doesn't it? these whoopies look good, i love the sprinkles!!!

    Cheers,
    yas
    www.tickle-your-tastebuds.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  22. I really want to try to make whoopie pies, these look so delicious.

    Also they are perfect for this week's Sharing Sundays theme YELLOW! We would love it if you would come by and link up this recipe and any other Yellow ingredient recipes (banana, pineapple, Lemon, Eggs, Squash etc.)

    We hope to see you there!
    http://everydaysisters.blogspot.com/2011/09/everyday-sisters-sharing-sundays-11.html

    Ellen

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hi Brittany! I am glad you visited my blog. When you changed to a new site, I could not find you for some reason. Good luck in school! I love, love whoopie pies. Yours sound wonderful. I have a great recipe for red velvet whoopie pies on my blog:)

    ReplyDelete
  24. missed your blog posts!
    welcome back! hope you're having a great time at university!

    these look so delicious.. the texture seems wonderful..

    i splurged and got a little whoopie tray a while back but haven't made anything it in as yet! I definitely have to..

    I tried a black forest whoopie pie some time ago and absolutely loved it.. it's one I plan on recreating..
    dark chocolate whoopie with Kirsch cherry and cream filling.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Welcome back! I wondered where you'd gone. These look fab! I've yet to try making them.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Those four years will fly!

    These whoopie pies look amazing. If I had the patience and time at the moment, which I don't, I would make Chocolate whoopie pies with cherry flavored filling.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Glad you're enjoying being back at Uni! your whoopies look so great, they puffed up really nice! and I love the sprinkles to jazz them up!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Sometimes life and living does get in the way. It's so nice to see you back and congrats on your new career choices. How exciting. Oh to be studying French. It is on my to do list. Which is still getting longer by the minute. x
    Suzi

    ReplyDelete
  29. Your whoopie pies turned out beautifully, especially for your first(I have yet to make any)! Love the sprinkles! Good luck with your studies, you are going to be one busy girl! Hang in there with everything:)

    ReplyDelete
  30. Good luck with your studies! I had whoopie pies for the first time last week when my fourteen-year-old made them. (I think she'd given up waiting for me to try a recipe!) They were really good!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Welcome back! These look really pretty! I have a coffee morning this week and am searching out a few new treats to make! I might just try these.

    ReplyDelete
  32. These whoopie pies look amazing. If I had the patience and time at the moment, which I don't, I would make Chocolate whoopie pies with cherry flavored filling.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment