Chicken Pilaf




















This is one of my favourite dinner recipes.  It's so quick, and so healthy, and oh so delicious because of the variety of spices used.  I was lucky enough to have this cooked for me at a friend's house, and I simply had to have the recipe because it was so good.  I love the hint of cinnamon and cumin, among other spices, in this dish. I like to imagine it as a waffling sent from the far corners of Morocco..


Ingredients
olive oil
600g chicken breast, diced
1 large clove garlic, crushed
1 red capsicum, sliced and diced
1 onion
2 -3 cups sliced mushrooms
2 tsp ground cinnamon
3 tsp ground cumin
2 tsp ground corriander
1/2 tsp tumeric
1/2 tsp paprika
1 1/2 cups basmati rice
800mL chicken stock, hot
300mL lite coconut milk
2 zucchinis, diced
700g pumpkin, cubed
1 small floret cauliflower, chopped relatively finely
+ fresh corriander, chopped

Method
Heat olive oil in a large fry pan on medium-high.  Cook chicken in pan until it has lost its pink rawness; and is just starting to turn slightly golden or brown.  Add onion, garlic, red capiscum and stir until soft.  Add mushrooms and stir for 1-2 minutes.  Now add all the spices along with the rice and stir through well.  Once evenly distributed, pour in the hot stock and the coconut milk.  Bring to the boil, then cover, and reduce heat to allow everything to simmer for 10 - 15 minutes; or until rice is cooked and majority of liquid is absorbed.  Stir occassionally.  Meanwhile, I like to steam all of the other veggies in the microwave.  I do it in batches of course - the pumpkin first which usually requires more cooking time, then the cauliflower, then the zucchini.  Ensure they are completely cooked before adding them to the pilaf which should now be ready (ie. the rice cooked).  Stir the veggies through, along with the fresh chopped corriander.  Serve!

Comments

  1. Wow that chicken pilaf looks so great! Wanna try this recipe out

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm really starting to get into cooking with spices. Try as I might I just can't love coriander leaves as garnishes (if they're in the dish I don't mind them) so I always leave that out!
    Your pilaf looks lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Brittany, long time didn't see you around:) and I love your chicken pilaf! Looks so yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gee,
    This looks a lot like the comforting chicken and rice casserole I make for my family! I think all cultures have a variation of chicken and rice! Yours looks so colourful and flavourful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Brittany look ansd sounds delicious!! gloria

    ReplyDelete
  6. Brittany, all those luscious flavors together. Wow, this is such a fabulous comfort dish. I know my family would love the richness of this warm dish.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a wonderful dish with an assortment of good veggies and spices. I will try to include pumpkin (une citrouille) on my next vegetable experiment.

    Bises,
    Genie

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is one of my favorites. I love the spices in this dish. Blessings, Catherine xo

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sounds and looks amazing! A true cultural dish. I'm so glad you're back :)! Good luck with your classes!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nice! I like the spices that you used too!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love the spices in this dish! It looks so full of flavor and healthful ingredients- just the thing for an after-work meal. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. This looks so delicious! Wonderful combination of spices and vegetables. My kind of meal! Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This looks delicious! No wonder you asked for the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  14. this is such a homey dish and full of flavour! i also think the colours look great!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Cinnamon in this is such a great idea! Good job.
    Moi, j'adore le pilaf.

    BTW, I love your page with the French musicians. I love French music too. Check out Zaz (my fave), Carla Bruni and Camille. I think you'll like them.

    xo!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Whoa - I think I may make this tonite and use my leftover turkey. Sounds absolutely delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  17. i usually dont comment on savory foods but this looks sooo good!

    ReplyDelete
  18. This looks so delicious! Wonderful combination of spices and vegetables. My kind of meal! Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi
    a good variation.
    There is a south Indian variation of this which is more spicy.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment