Orange and Lemon Madeleines

Madeleines are among my favourite French sweets.  They are traditionally made with lemon zest; however, today I felt like combining the sweetness of orange zest and balancing it with the tang of lemon zest.  It created a beautiful smell in the oven; and an even lovelier light taste in the mouth.  I love the lightness of a madeleine sponge, and hope you will too.  Serve them with orange icing if you have a real sweet tooth; the recipe for which is written below.

Ingredients
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla
generous pinch of salt
1/3 cup of caster sugar
1/2 cup plain flour, sifted
1/4 tbsp lemon zest
1/4 tbsp orange zest
65g butter, unsalted

Method
Preheat your oven to 190 degrees (fan-forced). Melt butter and cool to room temperature. In a bowl beat eggs, vanilla and salt at high speed until light. Beating constantly, gradually add sugar; continue beating at high speed until mixture is thick and pale and ribbons form in the bowl when beaters are lifted (eg. 5 minutes). Sift flour into egg mixture 1/3 at a time, gently folding after each addition. Add lemon rind and orange rind and pour melted butter around edge of batter. Quickly but gently fold butter into batter. Spoon batter into prepared tray; batter will mound slightly above the tops. Bake for 14 to 17 minutes or until golden. These cook quickly so keep a close eye on them. Use a knife to loosen from the tray, but let cool for around 10 minutes beforehand. 

Ingredients for Icing
30g butter, softened
1 tbsp orange juice
1 cup icing mixture

Method
Beat butter and juice together until smooth.  Gradually add icing sugar; continue to beat until smooth and spreadable.

Comments

  1. Ça doit être terriblement délicieux, j'en rêve! Elles sont magnifiques! Caro xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Madeleines! Love them, I do. One of my friends named her baby girl Madeleine and someone actually baked a batch of fresh madeleines during the first-month baby party... They were delish! :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brittany! Love madeleines, look absolutely irresistible, LOL gloria

    ReplyDelete
  4. These look fabulous, I must give them a try, thanks for the recipe. Diane

    ReplyDelete
  5. I must purchase myself some lovely madeleine moulds as I really love them and want to make these... your recipe looks fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  6. i love citrus in desserts! those madeleines look just perfect - right out of a parisian bakery : )

    ReplyDelete
  7. They are beautiful! And I like the flavors of orange and lemon you added!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've never made madeleines but I think I should. I love the orange and lemon combination.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Now I need a madeleine pan. :) These sound yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I do sometimes wonder what you do with all these sweets;)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I often make my own lemon infused madeleines and know from experience how important it is to whisk them well. Also I put the mix in the fridge to cool for ten minutes before adding to the buttered moulds.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yum! I love Madeleines especially for a tea party - they are so... French!

    ReplyDelete
  13. J'adore les madeleines et j'aime bien aussi quand elles contiennent un peu de zeste d'orange!

    ReplyDelete
  14. i like the lightness in madeleines and eating them with icing sounds like a good idea too!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Lovely summery madeleines - so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  16. They look gorgeous, I will have to try making them :-)

    Bon week-end a toi,

    Leeann x

    ReplyDelete
  17. Tried and I have to make a complaint - they were so so tasty that I ate them all at the same day (even though I was kind of on diet).
    Must admit that your blog is my new addiction...

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh, those look yummy. May need to make those this coming week.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Now I need a madeleine pan. :) These sound yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  20. How tasty those little things could be... Thank you for telling your recipe (I will put orange inside next time I do). I always put the preparation in the fridge in order it becomes very cold before putting it in the oven : that is my secret for having a round toping (quite like a "boat")
    (sorry, my english is not very good...)
    have a good Christmas^^

    ReplyDelete
  21. play bazaar start a new bussiness idea. satta kinig good idea let's what's next earn money.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment