Dense Dark Chocolate Cupcakes

These cupcakes are inspired by a tin of Bacio dark chocolates which I found on my kitchen bench yesterday.  I immediately remembered a recipe using dark chocolate and almond meal from my Crabapple Bakery Cookbook.  I modified it slightly to come up with this. And wow...it turned out to be one of the best chocolate cupcakes I've ever tasted.  (And boy, have I sampled a lot of cupcakes). These cupcakes are so moist, and dense - but not dense in a 'weigh-me-down' sort of way - in fact, I could far too easily polish off a handful of these cupcakes in one go. The cake itself has such a hit chocolate intensity, which is balanced perfectly with a good swirl of two-tone buttercream icing.  If there's one recipe you try from this site, this cupcake has got to be it.  Makes rougly 15

Ingredients

175g unsalted butter, softened
200g good quality eating dark chocolate
1 cup caster sugar
1 1/4 cup almond meal
1 cup cocoa
5 eggs
1 tsp vanilla extract

Method

Preheat the oven to 150 degrees (fan-forced).  Line 12-hole muffin trays. Combine butter, chocolate and sugar in a saucepan over low heat.  Mix continuously with a metal spoon until melted and smooth.  Place almond meal and cocoa in a separate bowl.  Pour melted chocolate mixture in this almond-cocoa mixture bowl and beat for 1 min on low speed.  The mixture should be thorougly combined.  Add 2 eggs at a time, beating after each addition until mixture is smooth. Do not over-beat or too much air will be incorporated and cupcakes will crack during baking.  Add vanilla extrat and fold through well.  Divide mixture evenly between cupcake cases.  Bake for 30 min or until cupcakes spring back slightly when touched.  Remove cupcakes from oven and cool in trays before frosting.

Ingredients for Plain Buttercream

125g butter, softened
1 tsp milk
1 1/2 cup icing sugar

Method
Beat butter until smooth.  Add half of icing sugar and beat until smooth.  Add milk and beat again.  Add rest of icing sugar and beat until mixture is spreadable.  Scoop this plain buttercream into a large piping bag fitted with a large star nozzle (eg. 1 inch wide)

Ingredients for Blue Buttercream
125g butter, softened
1 tsp milk
1 1/2 cup icing sugar
+ 2 drops royal blue food gel colouring

Method
Beat butter until smooth.  Add half of icing sugar and beat until smooth.  Add milk and beat again.  Add rest of icing sugar, along with food gel colouring, and beat until mixture is spreadable.  Add more food colouring if you'd like a darker blue.  Scoop this blue buttercream into the same piping bag which should be filled with plain buttercream.  Squeeze this down to reduce air bubbles.  Pipe, in a circular motion, onto cooled cupcakes.  Now top with a Bacio chocolate.  Bite in an savour the taste! Store in an air-tight container for 2-3 days

Comments

  1. Bacio Perugina is one of my favourites chocos and your cupcakes look delicious!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Look amazing and delicious, a perfect cupcake!! I love, Je aime, xxgloria

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ils sont parfaits! Ta présentation est très soignée comme toujours d'ailleurs! Caro xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your 2-tone frostings, they're so playful! These cupcakes are adorable. I'd love nothing more than to snatch one through the computer screen. :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. blue buttercream?! That is awesome. looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This sounds AMAZING! :D It combines my love affairs for dark chocolate and almond! I'm very excited to try it:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. is the name of the cookbook really "Crapabble Bakery Cookbook" or you made it up?

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's so pretty! I love dark chocolate too, it's really good to have those cupcakes cos they're not too sweet, just right. And... interesting name of cookbook :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. This looks so good! I have never used almond meal, but its on my "to try" list now! :)

    -Marissa
    http://noraisinsonmyparade.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a color! Lovely cupcakes!

    ReplyDelete
  11. oh I LOVE Bacio!... these look brilliant!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Mmm, chocolate is always a welcome treat. I hope you'll come by and link them up to today's Sweets for a Saturday.

    ReplyDelete
  13. My husband loves dark chocolate! These sound fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love how the cupcake is topped with a Bacio chocolate - and me, I have a thing for dark chocolate so this is a WIN! :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hahaha I can't believe I spelt the cookbook wrong! Massive typing error!

    ReplyDelete
  16. The cupcake looks lovely! That's a lot of choc and almond meal, sounds really yummy, I love cakes with almond meal! Thanks for sharing, Brittany, have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Tu me tentes vraiment beaucoup Brittany avec cette belle recette de cupcakes. J'essaierai clairement ceux-ci!

    ReplyDelete
  18. When you tell us that something is good I listen, but when you say that this is "the best".... Well, I just printed this off and will use that Valrhona chocolate I brought from Paris. Merci, mon amie!

    Bises,
    Genie

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love dark chocolate and very chocolate cakes are absolutely my cup of tea :D!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Best you've ever tasted? Then they must be amazing! Loving the two-toned swirl you're working with lately :) So pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  21. The presentation is just too good......i am not much into cupcakes ( curries being my thing ) but i am surely going to try this out!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Amazing. Anything that comes with a whole Bacio choco on top is a-ok with me!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I'm now going to nickname you the choco princess. Between all the chocolate cake testings you've done in the past and now sharing this tested cupcake...you're my go-to chocoholic gal ;o)
    They turned out adorable...great 'Bacio' cap too.

    Tanti baci,
    Claudia

    ReplyDelete
  24. They are so cute especially with the Chocolate on top.

    ReplyDelete
  25. These look so good, and Baci happen to be one of my favorite candy ever! Yum.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Wow, looks delicious! :)

    ReplyDelete
  27. I love dark chocolate and very chocolate cakes are absolutely my cup of tea :D!

    ReplyDelete
  28. play bazaar Food and dinner can make you best tip, Varun beverages are helping to Pepsicosatta king Thanked good wealth.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Maine un lamhat se mohabbat ki hai, Tum se milna to ek khwab sa lagta hai, Maine Tumhare intezar se mohaplay bazaarwebsites new creating ideas satta king Tere naam se Mohabbat ki hai, Tere Ehsaas se Mohabbat ki hai, Tum mere pass nahi phir bhi, Tumhari yaad se Mohabbat ki hai, Kabhi Tum ne bhi mujhe yaad kiya hoga.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment