Apple and Sour Cream Slice

 I had a few spare ingredients floating around the fridge, like sour cream and a tin of apples, and I immediately thought of what a good combination they would be together.  After a little search on the internet, I came across various recipes using similar ingredients.  So, I made up my own version based on those recipes for a Apple and Sour Cream Slice.  I absolutely loved it.  It was like biting into layer after layer of yumminess.  First, was the buttery short-bread like base.  Then, a layer of those classic pie apples.  And then the silky smooth sour cream topping.  I'll definitely be making this one again.

Ingredients for Base

1 x vanilla cake packet mix
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1 cup desicated coconut
125g unsalted butter, melted

Ingredients for Filling
1 x 440g tin pie apples
300mL lite sour cream
2 eggs
1/2 tsp vanilla extract

Method
Preheat oven to 180 degrees and grease and line a 30cm x 20cm loaf tin.  In a bowl, combine the vanilla cake packet mix, cinnamon and coconut; stir until well combined.  Then pour melted butter into bowl and stir until base forms.  Press base evenly into loaf tin and bake for 10-15 minutes or until lightly golden brown.  Remove from oven and place apples evenly over the warm base.  In a separate bowl, whisk together the sour cream, vanilla and eggs until smooth.  Pour this sour cream mixture over the apple-covered base.  Return to oven for 15 - 20 minutes or until sour cream looks set.  A slight wobble in the centre is fine.  Leave in tin for 15 minutes to allow slice to set. Serve warm or refridgerate before serving. Store slice in fridge for 2-3 days.

Comments

  1. Wonderful creation. It sounds delicious. I love your new blog look, very pretty:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Believe or not, i've never made slices before! I've always wanted to try making it but just never got around doing so. Yours looks wonderfully moist and delicious! I'm going to try soon and hopefully not get side-track again! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh...I like your new look.

    This slice is so heavenly. I love the combination of apple and sour cream.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just what I love to see...
    A pastry cutaway - the insided story!
    Merci carolg

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mmm I have some apples that I need to use also and this cake sounds ideal!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This really does look wonderful. Apples are always available here and there is no excuse for me not to try this. Your apple slice sounds easy to make and it certainly looks delicious. I hope you have a great day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  7. That des look yummy. You're so smart to just take ingredients and figure out a way to make something divine!
    V

    ReplyDelete
  8. Remind me to send you my French tart recipe. SOOOOo easy, of course I use premade piecrust! :)
    V

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yummo! Say apples and sour cream and I am there. It looks fabulous Brittany.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Mmm...yummy! How come my leftovers never look this good?!? And your new look is fabulous, too!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sorry to post this here, but your LinkWithin isn't letting me click on prior posting that you have made. Any ideas as to why?

    ReplyDelete
  12. il ne peut être qu'ultra fondant ce gâteau
    j'en salive
    bonne journée

    ReplyDelete
  13. oh my goodness! this looks phenomenal!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow!! This sounds heavenly!! Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  15. This looks just scrumptious, Brittany! And I love the new blog look!! :) Very beautiful!

    xx,
    Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  16. oh, very nice! what's best of all is that it starts with a cake mix--easy peasy!

    ReplyDelete
  17. This sounds really unusual - but because it's easy I'll give it a try.
    Have a lovely week!

    ReplyDelete
  18. OMG!!! Brittan y, look absolutely delicious!! I love apples dessert, sound delicious, gloria

    ReplyDelete
  19. @ The Heald Family: Sorry about that! I hadn't renewed my LinkWithin since I changed my URL! Should be fine now.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Simple yet fabulous. This does indeed look super yummy

    ReplyDelete
  21. Looks absolutely delicious! Great flavor combinations going on there :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Love anything with apple - this looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Usually apples in desserts do get very much appreciated by me and your dessert is getting added to my repertore...especially when apples come a plenty ;o)

    Flavourful wishes,
    Claudia

    ReplyDelete
  24. Mmm delicious! I've made something similar but also had almost slices on top and it was cream cheese. The sweetness of apple goes so well with the tangy dairy.

    ReplyDelete
  25. That looks awesome. I am saving this recipe for Fall when our apples come in. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  26. I have a similar recipe given to me from my grandma! I love it also! I love what you have done to your blog!!! It was nice to talk to you again, I have posted that coconut loaf and passionafruit sauce recipe for you on my blog! Enjoy it, it is so simple and yummy, I made four in three days!!!

    Cheers,
    Yas
    www.tickle-your-tastebuds.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  27. Looks absolutely delicious! Great flavor combinations going on there :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment