New York Cheesecake

Last night, we had a dinner party at my house.  Naturally, I planned and cooked the menu; but the difficulty was that the guests aren't fans of big sweets which ruled out a lot of puddings, chocolate conncoctions, iced cakes and so on. 
I did know that they loved cheesecakes and lemony desserts; so this New York Cheesecake fit the bill perfectly.  I was so impressed with the way this cheesecake turned out; smooth, dense and silky.  Despite the fact I used low fat ingredients, there were no cracks or issues.  It was a perfect, smoothly chic cheesecake. We served it with strawberries and orange on the side.

Ingredients for Base
250g plain sweet biscuits
125g butter, unsalted, melted

Ingredients for Filling
750g cream cheese, softened
2 tsp finely grated orange rind
1 tsp finely grated lemon rind
1 cup caster sugar
 3 eggs
3/4 cup sour cream
1/4 cup lemon juice

Ingredients for Topping
1 cup sour cream
2 tbsp caster sugar
2 tsp lemon juice

Method
Process biscuits until fine; transfer to a bowl.  Pour melted butter into bowl with biscuits; stir until well combined.  Press mixture over base and side of a 24cm springform round tin.  Place tin in fridge; leave for 30 to 40 minutes.  Preheat the oven to 160 degrees (fan-forced).  Make filling by beating cheese, rinds and sugar in a meidum bowl with electric mixer until smooth.  Beat in eggs, one at a time.  Beat in sour cream and juice.  Pour filling into tin; bake for 1 1/4 hours.  Turn off oven and leave cheesecake in there to cool for 15 minutes; ensuring the door is ajar.  Meanwhile, make sour cream topping by combining ingredients in a small bowl. Spread topping gently on top of cheesecake.  Turn oven back on to previous heat (160).  Bake cheesecake for 20 minutes; cool in oven with door ajar.  Refridgerate cheesecake overnight before serving.  Serve plain, or with fruits on the side.

Comments

  1. I love the addition of orange in there. What a fabulous way to brighten the cheesecake.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cheesecake seems to be loved by just about everyone (even non-dessert people.) Yours looks perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amazing dear Brittany! I love it! gloria

    ReplyDelete
  4. J'adore ce gâteau au fromage. Il a l'air très bon!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mmmmmm Cheesecake!! My favorite : )

    ReplyDelete
  6. Chic is right - I can imagined this being served on the set of a show like 'Sex and the City' for example. :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks lovely and delicious! We love cheesecakes, and have not made one in ages! Would love to have a slice of your cake!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, I love New York Cheesecake! Wonderful!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. looks delicious! I love the zesty touch as well.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, this looks so good....! I am too chicken to make cheesecake at home, I prefer to buy or eat it in a cafe ;).

    ReplyDelete
  11. Its been a while since I ate cheesecake - thanks for the reminder and rejuvenating the craving:)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love cheesecake and this one looks perfect :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. La saveur de ce gâteau doit être parfaite avec les zestes d'orange et de citron! Miam! Caro

    ReplyDelete
  14. Mmmmm that cheesecake looks so delish! I would bet your guests really enjoyed it :)

    Maria
    x

    ReplyDelete
  15. Miam, c'est toujours bon un cheesecake avec un topping crème sûre!!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Yum! One of my favorite desserts!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Good for you- cheesecake is the perfect dessert for non-sweet lovers! Though I'm not sure I know any of those... :) Looks like yours turned out great!

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a beautiful cheesecake! I love the citrus infusion you used! I bet it was a hit.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Mmm I love a good, rich NY cheesecake. This looks right on the money =D

    ReplyDelete
  20. I adore New York cheesecake - yum! I could easily go a slice of this now.

    ReplyDelete
  21. i'll get nervous when it comes to baking a cheesecake! i'm sure everyone enjoyed this so much!

    ReplyDelete
  22. They didn't like SWEETS. Who were these people?!?!?!?

    Well. The cheesecake looks fantastic, so I'm sure it was a hit!

    ReplyDelete
  23. What a gorgeous cheesecake! You had a bunch of very lucky guests!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Oh yum yum yum! This really look so moist and delicious! I adore cheesecakes!

    Cheers,
    yas

    ReplyDelete
  25. Yum... great looking cheesecake! It's been a while since I've made one and now you have me looking forward to making one again soon!

    ReplyDelete
  26. delicious! I love cheesecake and rarely make them because the rest of the family aren't fans. So I can live vicariously through your pics :)

    ReplyDelete
  27. Cheesecake is a favorite dessert. This looks wonderful. Blessings, Catherine xo

    ReplyDelete
  28. Gorgeous - cheesecake is definitely one of my all time favourite desserts :)

    ReplyDelete
  29. This recipe looks fantastic ... ME THE NOTES. BSSSS MARIMI

    ReplyDelete
  30. VERY impressed with your crack free cheesecake - way to go!!!!

    Brownieville Girl

    ReplyDelete
  31. That's a beautiful cheesecake, Brittany. I can never get enough of it.

    http://spoon-and-chopsticks.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  32. The texture and consistency of your cheesecake looks perfect! I bet everyone loved it!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Your cheesecake looks fantastic! Way to go making it.

    ReplyDelete
  34. Hi Brittany, What a wonderful post! Delicious looking cheesecake...my mouth is watering now :)

    Have a great day,

    Aldy.

    ReplyDelete
  35. Cheesecake is my favorite.That looks so soft and melting.

    ReplyDelete
  36. Cheesecake is the ultimate crowd pleaser...and anyone who doesn't like it, well, you simply don't invite them again!

    ReplyDelete
  37. I have yet to find a cheese cake that I did not like, this looks very yummy. Diane

    ReplyDelete
  38. what a great desssert for guests with no sweet tooth. Its really hard to find desserts that are muted in terms of sweetness!

    ReplyDelete
  39. Guests that don't like sweets, how can that be?Oh well, I'll take their place any time. At least they gave you a little satisfaction in preparing them one of my favorite desserts ;o)

    Glad to be back to appreciate your enthusiasm in the kitchen Brittany ;o)

    Ciao for now,
    Claudia

    ReplyDelete
  40. Cheesecake is the ultimate crowd pleaser...and anyone who doesn't like it, well, you simply don't invite them again!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment