Lumberjack Cake

Hello everyone, I'm back from my trip to China! It was such an incredible experience and you can look at the pictures of my Chinese foodie eats in my "Food and Travel" section here!  

When I returned back to my parents and sister in Australia, they demanded that I bake a cake the next day! I was still quite tired so I settled on some museli bars that I had made many times before.  But today, I finally felt up to trying out a new recipe.  This is called a Lumberjack cake and is densely packed with dates and grated green apples. The milky coconut topping takes this classic to a new level. It is definitely a new favourite. 

Ingredients for Cake
200g dried dates, pitted and chopped
1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
125g unsalted butter, softened
1 cup caster sugar, minus 1 good tbsp
1 egg
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 green apples, peeled and grated
1 cup plain flour
1/2 cup self raising flour

Ingredients for Milky Coconut Topping

75g unsalted butter
1/3 cup soft brown sugar, lightly packed
1/3 cup  milk
1 1/3 cup shredded coconut

Method
Preheat the oven to 180 degrees and prepare a round 20cm tin by lining and greasing it.  Put the dates in a saucepan with 250mL water and bring to boil.  Stir in bicarb of soda, then remove from heat.  Then, beat together the butter and sugar until fluffy.  Add egg and vanilla and beat until combined.  Stir in date mixture and grated apple.  Then fold the flours through this mixture until smooth.  Spoon batter into tin and bake for 40 minutes.  Meanwhile, put all the topping ingredients in a saucepan and stir over low heat until butter is melted and ingredients are combined.  Remove cake from oven and carefully spread topping over cake.  Bake for futher 25 - 30 minutes.  Put silver baking foil over cake if coconut starts to burn.  Expect a dense and moist cake but ensure it springs back slightly when touched before you remove it from oven.  Remove from oven and allow cake to cool completely. Cake will keep for 3 days in airtight container.

Comments

  1. This looks really yummy. Love the pictures you took of food in China, it looks like you had a fantastic trip. Diane

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh looks lovely. You are a doll being jet jagged and still cooking. Welcome home!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Welome home!
    I've never heard of Lumberjack cake, but it sounds (and looks) delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Welcome back, Brittany! Glad to hear that you have enjoyed your holiday! The piggy bun in the photo looks so cute!
    Your Lumberjack cake looks really delicious! It must really smell wonderful with the coconuts!

    ReplyDelete
  5. this looks totally divine, I love grated apples in cake... welcome back! can't wait to check out your travels x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ce gâteau a l'air super bon et bien moelleux. Bon retour de Chine, contente que tu aies aimé!"

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks great. I'm on my way to check out your travel photos!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Loved your Guangzhou photos. (Such a coincidence; I just posted about Guangzhou last week.) We stayed with a family who had a Chinese cook, and we loved the food too! Those pork buns are so cute.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This looks so rich and dense-- maybe it gets its name from its ability to stay with you while you climb trees and cut them down? Maybe? Glad you had a great trip! Can't wait to peruse your photos!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Welcome home Brittany - I have missed your posts popping up on my side-bar! I'm sure you have lots of foodie pics for us on your travel blog - I'm clicking over to check it out!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. oh, you didnt miss the egg tarts! sure that must have tasted really delicious! i've heard of lumberjack cake but do not really have an idea what is it really. i'm sure this taste good as well, that topping sounds good!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Welcome back. Looks like you had a good time. The food looks great - I want some too! I've never heard of a lumberjack cake but it looks good.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This cake looks delicious, I like the coconut flakes that you used on the toppings! Glad to see you love China!:d

    ReplyDelete
  14. I missed you so much Brittany! Love this cake look amazing!! I want to heard about your trip to China! x gloria

    ReplyDelete
  15. Welcome back! Can't wait to check your pics out. Lovely cake too, not made one of these beauties in a long time, thanks for the reminder ;0)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your photographs from China look amazing! The Hello Kitty cake is to die for!! Lumberjack cake... what a lovely name!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Welcome back! Your cake sounds so good : )

    ReplyDelete
  18. Great pics! And this cake looks gorgeous, love the apples!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Welcome back! Just looked through your China photos, and I love the pork buns, I bought some in a supermarket when I was there and mine had pink snouts :) And that hello kitty cake looks devine! I have a photo EXACTLY like that one you have, my my they have pretty cakes there don't they? :) Glad to hear you had a good time and got to try some authentic food, that sure makes it a worthwhile trip :) oh, and the lumberjack cake sounds amazing too!

    ReplyDelete
  20. yay, dates in cake! totally underrated. thank you so so much for sharing! love this, love you, love your blog! ha. it's a party. i'll keep you updated if i make this!
    -meg
    @ http://clutzycooking.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  21. That look gorgeous, I could imagine eating a slice of that with a lovely cup of tea!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Oh my God, how incredible is that! Seriously?! I would love to be eating that slice right now!
    Glad to hear you had a fun, safe trip to China! I'm on my way to check out your adventure now!

    Hugs & Happy Blessings,
    Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hi! Saw your travel post to China. Great pictures, and the food certainly looks fantastic. I know what you mean about those portuguese egg tarts. Nothing like it. : )

    ReplyDelete
  24. Looks like you had a great time in China! Cake looks yummy!

    Maria
    x

    ReplyDelete
  25. bon retour de chine
    ce gâteau est parfait de plus il ne peut être qu'excellent
    bonne journée

    ReplyDelete
  26. Your cake with that frosting looks so moist and flavorful! Your Easter cake is BEAUTIFUL! Wow, that's great that you were able to visit China!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Wow, China...how fun! This cake sounds amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Wonderful cake! Much better than chicken and duck heads...lol Welcome back!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Glad you're back with us. This cake looks divine. I laughed at the name of it though!
    V

    ReplyDelete
  30. WoW! wELcome back!. The cake looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Brittany, what a fun adventure! I cannot wait to see your Hello Kitty cake as you will surely bake! So glad that you have returned with all the baking ideas China had to offer!

    Bises,
    Genie

    ReplyDelete
  32. Sounds scrumptious with all those good ingredients.

    ReplyDelete
  33. Im glad you had an awesome time. The hello kitty cake would make me squeal too, and also the duck head but in a different kind of way.

    ReplyDelete
  34. I love lumberjack cake - there's so many flavours and ingredients going on and I love the squidgy texture. YOur cake looks mighty fine!

    ReplyDelete
  35. The shredded coconut on top of the Lumberjack Cake certainly makes it look very rustic - I can imagine the nice toasty flavour already... :)

    ReplyDelete
  36. fun name for a tasty and unique cake!

    ReplyDelete
  37. I've never heard of a lumberjack cake before, but it certainly looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  38. play bazaar mainly helping to wealthy people for making so much good money earn and satta king alos in this bike race make money.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment