Chocolate and Custard Tartlettes

Some of my favourite foods when it comes to baking are custard, and chocolate.  And I'm sure you all know that I love French tarts.  So what if we combined them all? This is something I have considered baking for a long time.  A custard tart with a hidden layer of cold chocolate at the bottom.  I have this thing though, that the chocolate has to make a crack when you bite into it.  I just love that texture contrast between hard chocolate and soft, creamy custard.  So, these tartlets for me are a real dream because they truly fulfil all of my critera.  Makes 4 tartlets

Ingredients for Shortcrust Pastry
1 cup plain flour
2 tbsp icing sugar
90g unsalted butter, cubed
1 -2 tbsp iced water

Method
Sift the flour into a bowl and stir in the sugar. Using your fingertips, rub the butter until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs. Make a well in the centre and water. Mix to a dough with a flat-bladed knife, using a cutting action. Turn out onto a lightly floured work surface and gather into a ball. Press together until smooth, then roll out and cut to fit 1 tart dish. Regridgerate for 20 minutes; preheat the oven to 180 degrees (fan-forced). Line the dishes with baking paper and spread some baking weights at the bottom. Bake for 20 minutes, remove the paper and then continue to bake for a further 10-15 minutes. Set aside to cool before filling.



Ingredients for Chocolate Layer
100g chocolate
30g copha

Method
Combine ingredients in a bowl set over a pot of simmering water on the stove.  Allow to melt and stir with a spoon until smooth and combined.  Distribute into 4 tarts.  Put in fridge for 1-2 hours, or until set.

Ingredients for Custard Filling
3 egg yolks
2 tablespoons caster sugar
2 tablespoons cornflour
1 cups milk (I used skim milk)
1 tsp vanilla essence
+ 20g chocolate, for decoration

Method
Once chocolate layer it set, make the custard filling.  To make the filling, put the yolks, sugar and cornflour in a bowl and whisk until pale. Heat the milk in a saucepan until almost boiling, then remove from the heat and add gradually to the egg mixture; beating constantly. Strain back into the pan. Stir constantly over low heat for 4 minutes, or until the mixture boils and thickens. Do not over cook. Remove from the heat, and add the vanilla and stir through well. Immediately pour the custard filling into the cool pastry shell over the chocolate layer.  Allow custard to cool before using the 20g of chocolate.  With a hand held grater, curl chocolate shavings over the top of the custard tarts for decoration.  Chill in fridge for 1hr, or so, before serving.

Hidden layer of chocolate under the custard!

Comments

  1. This looks delicious but I will have to find a substitute for copha. Diane

    ReplyDelete
  2. Diane, butter should be fine as a substitute!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your name and the picutre remind me of my time when I was in france and ate this delicious piece of cake... good god that was the best cake I ever ate. EACH EVENING :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks really good, Brittany! Chocolate and custard, a perfect combination! Yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. OMG Dear Brittany these are amazing and tempting! I love custard tarlettes! yummy gloria

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks awesome, you have nice recipes on your site. Chocolate caramel slice brings back wonderful memories

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love a little tarts, they're so sweet, this looks particularly delicious. x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ta tarte est délicieuse.
    J'aime beaucoup tout ce que tu as mis dedans.
    A très bientôt.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a gorgeous tart! If I saw this in a Paris patisserie window, I would run in to buy it. :D

    ReplyDelete
  10. Brittany, these little tartlettes look so delicious! What a wonderful flavor you used, too. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Brittany,
    These little tarts are my idea of a perfect dessert. yum.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love custard and of course chocolate. There's everything to love here =D

    ReplyDelete
  13. Custard in a tart that's fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  14. They look delicious, and I love the idea of a hidden layer!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oooh these look delicious! Chocolate and custard definitely go well together.

    ReplyDelete
  16. un beau dessert comme je les aime ces tartelettes ont l'air délicieuses bravo ma belle
    bonne soirée

    ReplyDelete
  17. This looks so nice Brittany - pastry always scares me a little. I need to be brave because this tlicks all my boxes.
    3 days till Paris!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Ces tartelettes sont parfaites. Je suis d'accord avec toi la crème pâtissière et le chocolat, quel heureux mélange!

    ReplyDelete
  19. These do indeed look fabulous but what is copha? I am not familiar with that ingredient.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Okay, they fill all of my criteria too! I just printed it out.... miam-miam!!

    Bises,
    Genie

    ReplyDelete
  21. The chocolate layers are like the hidden treasure of these lovely tarts. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Excellent idea and it looks like they worked a treat too ;0)

    ReplyDelete
  23. These look absolutely fabulous - I love custard and love chocolate.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I would so love these tarts!

    Maria
    x

    ReplyDelete
  25. Oh, I've never tried custard with chocolate before, to be honest. I'm sure it's a lovely combination. :)

    ReplyDelete
  26. What a sensational recipe! Congratulations on developing something exactly the way you pictured it!

    ReplyDelete
  27. that. looks. amazing.

    (one question - you make sooo many delicious, decadent treats. do you eat them all? or do you give them away? haha)

    ReplyDelete
  28. Oh .. this is such a fun recipe.. Bookmarked !

    New to ur space and following u :)

    Do visit me as time permits
    http://comeletseat.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  29. @ Cailen - I definitely eat a bit of everything I make because I need to describe it on my blog and decide whether it's a good recipe or not! But, I don't necessarily sit down and have a big portion of what I've made because I try to eat quite healthily during the week. But hey, when weekends roll around and there's a cake in the fridge..it will end up in my belly ;)
    Thanks for the question.

    ReplyDelete
  30. These look beautiful and so pretty. They will go perfect with a cup of tea. Blessings, Catherine

    ReplyDelete
  31. These tartlets look fabulous & inviting! They'll be perfect for my family ... I really want to give this a try.
    I've shared few awards with you. Please accept these :)

    http://simplysweetnsavory.blogspot.com/2011/05/candied-fruit-cupcakes-awards.html

    ReplyDelete
  32. Wow! That looks exceptional, Brittany! Fabulous for sure!

    Hugs & Happy Blessings,
    Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  33. These tarts look awesome. Good job.

    Custard is the best. I don't even need it do be in a tart - I just eat it by the spoonful!

    ReplyDelete
  34. Wow! These really look delicious. I know I would love these. I hope you have a great day. Blessings...MAry

    ReplyDelete
  35. That looks gorgeous! I'm glad I came across your blog...your photos are lovely. Just started my own :)

    ReplyDelete
  36. Oh boy, what a double delight dessert.

    ReplyDelete
  37. I LOVE the idea of slicing into this and then finding the chocolate on the bottom! It's really pretty too :)

    Also just wanted to let you know, I've given you an award (or three..), at
    http://puddingpielane.blogspot.com/2011/05/i-award-thee.html

    ReplyDelete
  38. I love this! looks so delicious and the chocolate layer prevent the crust from getting soggy huh?

    ReplyDelete
  39. These tarts sound perfect - the chocolate layer at the bottom is a winner. One of my all time favourite desserts is a cheesecake which has a hidden layer of chocolate at the bottom and it gets people every time.

    ReplyDelete
  40. creamy custard sounds delicious and i like the sound of cracking choc too! ha!

    ReplyDelete
  41. Totally agree - custard and chocolate are two foods that never disappoint. Your tarts look elegant and scrummy

    ReplyDelete
  42. What pretty little tarts! They look scrumptious.

    ReplyDelete
  43. These look so soft and fluffy! great job!

    cheers,
    yas
    www.tickle-your-tastebuds.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  44. Wow, what a wonderful tarts. I definitely want a dozen of it.

    ReplyDelete
  45. hy,
    chanced upon your space while blog hopping ...fascinating space you have ...love your presentation...gorgeous recipe collection..
    Am your happy follower now..:)
    do stop by mine sometime..

    Tasty Appetite
    Event: Letz Relishh Ice Creams

    ReplyDelete
  46. Elles sont magnifiques tes tartelettes; gourmandes comme je les aime! Caro xxx

    ReplyDelete
  47. I love the idea of a hidden chocolate surprise!

    ReplyDelete
  48. These little tarts look delicious- I especially love the hidden chocolate layer! :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment