Zucchini and Bacon Quiche

The recipe was written by my Grandmother and today still retains its dinner-dish appeal. I can understand why - it is healthy and filled with vegetables (though, even they are hidden from suspecting children), it is delicious and it can be prepared in a matter of minutes.  
Makes 2 quiches; which yields 8 generous servings.

Ingredients
6 shortcut rashers bacon, diced
2 onions, peeled and diced
1 clove garlic, minced
5 large zucchinis, grated
3 large carrots, grated
1/2 cup low fat cheese, grated
7 eggs
1 cup self-raising flour

Method

Preheat oven to 180 degrees (fan-forced) and lightly grease, with spray oil, 2 round 20cm-wide quiche dishes. In a small saucepan, cook the onion and garlic; stirring until onion softens. In a separate saucepan, cook the bacon until cooked but not crispy.  Set both saucepans aside.  In a large bowl, combine the grated zucchini, carrot, cheese, cooked bacon and cooked onion. In a jug, beat together the eggs until light with a whisk.  Pour eggs into zucchini mixture and stir with spoon to combine.  Sift flour over this and stir again until well combined. Pour mixture evenly into prepared dishes.  Bake in oven for 40 minutes, or until golden brown.

Comments

  1. This is one of my favourite recipes but I have never tried putting carrot into them, will try that next time for a change. Thanks for the idea. Diane

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your Grandmother's recipe sounds divine - I'm going to make one and freeze the slices - great for a healthy lunch with salad.
    Thanks Brittany
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Me gusta muuuucho, felicita a tu abuelita...
    muchos besos

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love a quiche and they are good served at any meal in the day... Your nanna's looks delish!

    Bises,
    G

    ReplyDelete
  5. My mum made something similar to this a lot when I was little. My brother and I really liked it until we found out there is zucchini in it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ta quiche a l'air délicieuse, ma chère Brittany. En ce qui me concerne dès qu'il y a du bacon, je suis vendue!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great way to get some greens into a kid's diet! It looks and sounds delicious too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I wish I was eating this for lunch right now! MCB x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your grandmother's quiche looks delicious. This will be great for my kids after school lunch! They love eggs and cheese, I'm sure that they will like this. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Such in interesting list of ingredients for a quiche - totally blows my bog standard quiche right out of the water!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Il n'y a que de bonnes choses dans cette quiche.
    Elle doit être délicieuse.
    A très bientôt.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I Iike family recipes and your quiche! You can also try leek and salmon, it's great.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Quiche is one of my favorite things in the whole world! I love your grandma's recipe with the zucchini and bacon - delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  14. That looks wonderful - sans bacon for me :o). I love zucchini. I bet you could make this with any vegetable you might have sitting in the fridge.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your grandmother must have been an amazing cook. This quiche looks like a delicious breakfast dish.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love quiche and zucchini is a veggie I never thought to add to it before. Thanks for the idea!

    ReplyDelete
  17. J'adore les tartes salées et la combinaison courgettes/bacon donne très envie!C'est parfait accompagné d'une belle salade pour le déjeuner!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wo hame ek lamha na de paye apne pyar ka,aur hum unke liye apni zindagi gawa beithe play bazaar is very good blogspot satta king Dil se roye magar honto se muskura beithe,yunhi hum kisi se wafa nibha beithe.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment