Vanilla Custard Kisses

When I first saw this recipe in my Women's Weekly "Cakes" book, I thought that it was a recipe for "Whoopie Pies." Whoopie Pies are unknown in Australia, in fact, I only learnt about them through blogging.  So it follows that when I actually baked them, they were not a whoopie pie at all.  Instead, they are a delicious cross between biscuit and cake; a borderline "Melting Moment" if anything.  I really like these little kisses because you can just pop one in and not feel weighed down or guilty.  They are, however, really yummy so who can really ever stop at one?

Ingredients
125g butter, softened
1/2 cup caster sugar
1 egg
1/3 cup plain flour
1/4 cup self-raising flour
2/3 cup cornflour
1/4 cup custard powder
1 tsp vanilla extract

Ingredients for Vienna Cream Filling
60g butter, softened
3/4 cup icing sugar
2 tsp milk

Method
Preheat the oven to 160 degrees (fan-forced) and grease 2 oven trays.  Beat butter and sugar with electric mixer until smooth and creamy; beat in egg.  Stir in sifted dry ingredients in 2 batches.  Spoon mixture into piping bag fitted with 1cm tube.  Pipe 3cm diameter rounds of mixture, about 3cm apart, onto trays.  Bake for 10 minutes or until golden or golden brown for a crunchier biscuit.  Loosen and then let cool on trays.  Meanwhile make vienna cream by beating the butter until white as possible, then beating in half the icing sugar; beating in the milk, and then the rest of the icing sugar.  Sandwich the cold cakes with vienna cream and dust with extra sifted icing sugar if desired.

Comments

  1. I have never seen these. They look like a pretty little cookie sandwich and sound perfectly delicious:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my. These are such a tease. They look like a macaron, but you say custard, cake.........help me stop! BTW, our Frenchie bakery had a delightful crescent shaped cookie with ground almonds called , "French Love". OMG!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. They look delish! I actually adore melting moments - they would be my favourite treat. ( well one of many!) x

    ReplyDelete
  4. I must stop reading your blog early in the morning - it makes me hungry for the rest of the day!! Diane

    ReplyDelete
  5. with my fading vision i thought they were almonds. on closer look i found it tempting. Made me hungry too. Gorgeous container you have there.

    Let me take the liberty of introducing Laetitia's blog, she posts recipes too some times, not always, lots of other things like knitting. By the way she lives in Ararat Australia. Here's her happy happy blog

    http://freefallingskyward.blogspot.com/

    Please check Ruth's blog, you'd love the content. occasional recipes, poetry art and various issues

    http://ruthie822.blogspot.com/

    Thank you, i am happy today.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm putting these on my "to make soon" list. I love the AWW recipes and bought a couple of their books all the way from Australia.

    ReplyDelete
  7. J'adore ces biscuits, ils ont l'air bien vanillés, bien délicieux.

    ReplyDelete
  8. these look fab and look so much nicer than whoopie pies. mcb x

    ReplyDelete
  9. These look adorable - I have a secret addiction to melting moments...

    ReplyDelete
  10. These looks so good! Way better than whoopie pies IMO. They kinda resemble macarons!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Vienna Cream Filling!!!! You are spoiling us! They look great and I can imagine that they must taste even better ;0)

    ReplyDelete
  12. those cute little cakes must have tasted even better with that cream filling.. i can have a few pieces of that in one go!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love the name of them! They look like tender little yummy treats! I would like to pop them in my mouth all day long!

    ReplyDelete
  14. They look lovely - I bet the biscuit just melted away in your mouth, delicious! I really like the AWW books - there are some really interesting ideas and recipes in them.

    Love the way you've photographed these - really pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  15. They look so adorable. Délicieux!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I totally thought those were whoopie pies when I saw them, but I guess not! Well, whatever you call them, they look delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  17. They look amazing. I'd definitely need more than 1!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I didn't know what whoopie pies where either! So if they taste halfway between a cake and a biscuit...are they like Jaffa cakes then? (Well they certainly look better!) :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. These kisses looks wonderful Brittany. I am giving you the stylish blogger award on my blog!

    xx,
    Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  20. Beautiful blog! :) Thank you for stopping by this week! Happy baking!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Are you tempting me to eat more than one of these Brittany? Shame on you for coaxing me into adding a few more millimeters on my hips. LOL

    These look delicious!

    Ciao for now,
    Claudia

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love your description of these treats. They sound totally delectable.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I'm making whoopie pies tomorrow - should be fun!

    ReplyDelete
  24. O Boy! you have really nice blog! these Whoopies are nice! i think i have to bake this ones.. becose of the name! :) its like "making whoopie"-song :D
    Have a nice weekend! i think i will be as your reader, you have exellent looking recipes here!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment