Mini Chocolate Eclairs filled with Pistachio Buttercream

I have come to the conclusion that French sweets are the ultimate pleasure.  I guess that's why I started this blog and why it has a French influence.  Think about it, the French have les croissants, la croquembouche, la crème brûlée and the list goes on and on.  My favourite, since I was a child, have been eclairs (or maybe profiteroles).  And since I saw an image of some eclairs filled with a thick nutty buttercream, I knew I had to recreate that myself.  These eclairs are incredible, irresitable and deserving of every other positive adjective. 

Ingredients for Choux Pastry
200ml water
2g caster sugar
1g sea salt
100g unsalted butter
175g 00 [bakers] flour, or alternatively plain flour
4-5 eggs [approx 60-70g)

Method for Pastry
Place cold water, salt and sugar in a pot; bring to a gentle boil. Meanwhile cut the butter into 1cm dice cubes and add to pot so butter just melts as water approaches gentle boil (should be around 98 degrees). At that point add all of the sifted flour. Mix immediately over low heat with wooden spoon. Dough will come away from sides of pot and develop a gloss; cook in order to bind for about 2-3 minutes. You will know roughly when it is glossy, bound and steam is coming off mixture. Remove from heat, keep stirring for 2 minutes off the heat to let it cool slightly. A trick to test if it's cool enough is to touch with your fingers and if they don't hurt/burn then it's fine. This is important otherwise the eggs, which are now to be added, will simply scramble. Add 1 of the eggs, and incoroporate thoroughly. Then add another, and incorporate. Keep going until all eggs are in and the mixture is not to dry or stiff. A trick to testing if the choux pastry is going okay is to see if it slowly falls off the spoon when held up in the air over the bowl. The paste should ultimately be a piping consistency ie. hold up on the tray. Line a tray, pop the paste in a piping bag and start piping into medium strips (eg. 8cm-10m long). Use a 8-10mm straight nozzle in the piping bag and water to smooth any mishapen strips. Bake at 190 degrees in moist oven until fully risen, 8 or so minutes. When I say moist - spray your oven with some water from a bottle before poping the tray in. Alternatively pop a small stainless steel bowl full of water at the bottom tray of your oven. Now you need a dry oven to colour the pastry for another 6 minutes or until golden in colour then drop temperature to 140-150 degrees to dry out inside of pastry, another 10-15 minutes necessary baking time. Remove and place on cooling rack. 

Ingredients for Pistachio Buttercream
125g unsalted butter
1 1/2 cup icing sugar
85g pistachios
2 tsp milk

Method
Firstly you need to prepare the eclairs.  Cut all the eclairs in half horizontally (as pictured) and set aside.  Place pistachios in a food processor and process until half finely crumbed, half chunky; set aside.  In a bowl, beat together the butter and 1/2 the sugar.  Add the milk gradually and beat.  Add remaining icing sugar and beat until smooth. Fold processed nuts through buttercream.  Place into piping bag and pipe onto the eclair and sandwich it with the other side. 

Ingredients for Chocolate Topping
150g lindt eating chocolate, chopped
1 tbsp unsalted butter

Method
Melt ingredients together in microwave or in a bowl which is placed over a saucepan which is filled with water.  When ingredients are melted and combined, smooth the topping over the eclairs (as pictured).  Serve

Ps. I'm sharing this at Sweet as Sugar Cookie's Sweets for Sunday #6! Do you have anything to share?

Miam miam!

Comments

  1. Hi Brittany
    Love your blog and I wish you all the success in the world.
    THank you for stopping by my blog. I'm a new follower and can't wait to see more of your posts :)
    hugs
    Manni

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think Camilla would kill for a bite of this! It looks fantastic and very finikity to make! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great bake! Looks irresistible and so yum...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hola Bretaña ...que deliciosos postres haces ..sigo mirando y cada vez descubro uno mejor ...besos desde España MARIMI

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'll never forget the first time I perfected profiteroles in my kitchen. Beginners luck is what it turned out to be...because the second time I made them...they turned out into one big disappointment...sigh!

    I'll need to give them another chance and probably use your yummy pistachio cream to fill them up ;o)

    Have a great weekend Brittany and flavourful wishes,
    Claudia

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ooops here I go again; hungry with all this mouthwatering food. They look simply delicious. Diane

    ReplyDelete
  7. C'est vrai ce que tu affirmes, les Français ont clairement des desserts géniaux. Ces éclais ont l'air délicieux!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I haven't dabbled much in making french pastries but your blog is a constant reminder that I need to try! That pistachio buttercream sounds divine!

    ReplyDelete
  9. C'est l'une de mes pâtisseries préférées.
    Ces éclairs sont réussis et semblent délicieux. Bravo!!!
    Bon week-end et à bientôt.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Eclairs are probably one my favorite desserts ever! I love the twist with the pistachio buttercream - yum:) Your photos are just fabulous too - good enough to eat:)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ca l'air tellement délicieuse. Les pistaches devraient gouter divines!

    ReplyDelete
  12. i love eclairs! i cannot wait to try this filling :)
    -meg
    @ http://www.clutzycooking.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. A typical dessert indeed! Try a chocolate ganache for the topping, that's how you can find them in France. Anyway, the buttercream is splendid!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love Eclairs and the idea of adding any kind of nuts to them sounds wonderful! You bake so many goodies, I'm wondering who eats all the lovely treats you make?

    ReplyDelete
  15. just came across your blog! it's fabulous! you have some great insight on your posts! omg i love eclairs! that looks great! xo

    ReplyDelete
  16. That's what I call real dreaming ~ pistachio buttercream. Miam!!
    xx
    "All Things French"

    ReplyDelete
  17. This looks heavenly. I'm with you on the French sweets :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. This mini chocolate eclair with oistachio buttercream looks divine! I have to agree with you, French desserts are incredibly delicious! :) Thanks for sharing your recipe. I love the way you added pistachio into the buttercream for the extra flavor and texture.

    Amy
    http://utry.it

    ReplyDelete
  19. I have always loved pistachios and chocolate together! It's just sososo delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Mint chocolate eclair?? Um, AMAZING! I usually find that many fancy-looking desserts often look better than they taste, but not the case here! So happy to have this recipe in my life!

    ReplyDelete
  21. This looks delicious! My mouth is watering. Thanks for stopping by my blog. You are right...it is important to learn from our mistakes. I hope to see you again sometime.

    ReplyDelete
  22. This looks very good, Brittany! You make such wonderful desserts - I am always rather scared to come here, because your photos regularly make me crave for something sweet ;))!!

    ReplyDelete
  23. pistachio buttercream sounds like the stuff dreams are made of!!!

    ReplyDelete
  24. You have me convinced! They look delicious, I love pistachios.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Mmmmmmmmmm - I do have a rather soft spot for eclairs myself and these do look ever so tempting!

    ReplyDelete
  26. i like the pistaschio addition to the buttercream. This pastry sounds divine!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Eclairs have always been my favourite cream cakes and these just look amazing!!

    Maria
    x

    ReplyDelete
  28. I adore any pastry filled with custard or cream. Your eclaris are seriously tempting me to foresake my diet. They look and sound delicious. Have a great day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  29. These eclairs look amazing Brittany! I love French desserts too. There used to be a French bakery where I live and every weekend my family and I would stop in and buy some cookies and mini cakes. It was wonderful!
    I will save this recipe and try it soon!

    ReplyDelete
  30. You are such an inspiring baker. These look wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  31. These sound like a dream--I love eclairs and pistachios! I had something like once at a Payard bakery in Las Vegas of all places. It was delicious, and now I can make my own--thanks for the reminder!
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  32. Oh my gosh! I used to request these every year for my birthday! My mom would make them for me and I thought about them all year. I havn't had them in so long. ;( I loooove the pistachio addition! So happy now!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Oh these look so good! I bought one at the Peregian Beach Bakery on the weekend and thought 'I can make much better than that. Must look for a recipe...' Voila!

    Merci beaucoup and here I am thinking about losing a few kilos so I can tramp about the Dordogne!

    Denise<3

    ReplyDelete
  34. When I read this I thought ---- perfect and I bet they taste just so x

    ReplyDelete
  35. These look super yummy!Have you ever tried doing half milk / half water for the choux dough? I find it gives a nice taste when you're using it for sweet things.

    ReplyDelete
  36. I think french sweets are the best too! They have a richness to them and elegance. The eclairs look so delectable - love the filling!

    ReplyDelete
  37. Wow! we must be channelling each other! You made choux! When you make your Gateau St. Honore, I'll be here, salivating!

    ReplyDelete
  38. I love eclairs for the custard inside. These look divine. opps, I"ve gained another kilo here.
    V

    ReplyDelete
  39. I agree; the French definitely make some of the best pastries. I love eclairs. They are one of my favorite desserts. Yours look really great. I love that you put pistachios in them. That must really add to the deliciousness:)

    ReplyDelete
  40. Pistachio buttercream! What a brilliant idea!

    ReplyDelete
  41. Hi again....I'm hosting the Culinary Smackdown Battle for March--the theme is Cookies. Would you like to join in for the fun? It's open to anyone, anywhere in the world. It doesn' have to be a new post on your blog. You can pick your favorite cookie from your previous post too. All you have to do is link up your cookie creation. I have some great prizes waiting. Hope to see your entry soon!

    Amy
    http://utry.it/2011/03/culinary-smackdown-battlecookies.html

    ReplyDelete
  42. pistachios are extremely underused, wouldn't you say? i, for one, LOVE their flavor, and i think the idea of a pistachio buttercream is magnificent, particularly squirted into yummy eclairs. :)

    ReplyDelete
  43. Pistachio buttercream sounds just fantastic! I wish I had a few of these in front of me now.

    ReplyDelete
  44. Oh wow, these look so decadent. I've definitely got to try making choux pastry one day. Thanks for linking this up to Sweets for a Saturday.

    ReplyDelete
  45. The sound lovely, I keep meaning to do my own choux pastry.

    ReplyDelete
  46. Can you DHL me one of your eclairs? Looks delicious ... mouth watering.

    ReplyDelete
  47. Wo hame ek lamha na de paye apne pyar ka,aur hum unke liye apni zindagi gawa beithe play bazaar is very good blogspot satta king Dil se roye magar honto se muskura beithe,yunhi hum kisi se wafa nibha beithe.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment