Lemon Curd Filled Friands

Can there be too much of a good thing?
When it comes to these Lemon Curd Filled Friands, I revel in their indulgent excess.  I was in awe of the moist and soft friand which, of course, was delicious plain and untouched.  But then, when it sandwiched a thick layer of silky lemon curd and crunchy flaked almonds - deliciousness took on a whole new meaning.  Friands are a popular little cakes, "des financiers," in France.  I'm not sure whether Parisian pastry chefs would be delighted or disgusted with my indulgent creation; but rest assured I was firmly the former as I lathered my friand in lemon curd.

Ingredients for Friand
6 eggwhites
185g unsalted butter, melted
120g ground almonds
240g icing sugar, sifted
75g plain flour, sifted
1 tbsp lemon zest
1 tbsp lemon juice

Method for Friand
Preheat the oven to 180 degrees (fan-forced) and grease a friand tray.  Place egg whites in a bowl and whisk them with a fork until they are combined and bubbly.  Add butter, almonds, icing sugar, flour, zest and juice; mix to combine.  Divide mixture among tins and bake for 20 - 25 minutes.  Makes roughly 10.

Ingredients for Lemon Curd Filling
Zest of 1 large lemon
Juice of 1 large lemon
1/2 cup caster sugar
75g unsalted butter, chopped
2 eggs
+ 1/2 cup flaked almonds

Method for Lemon Curd Filling
Combine the zest, juice, sugar and chopped butter in a 1L microwaveable bowl (lid required).  Add 2 eggs to this mixture and whisk together.  Cover and microwave and high (800 watts) for 3 minutes, whisking every minute.  Chill to thicken; roughly 2 - 3 hours.  Once lemon curd has thickened completely, you can begin to assemble the filled friands.  Take a friand, cut it in half (horizontially) and spread a thick layer of lemon curd on one of the insides of the friand.  Sprinkle flaked almonds on top of this lemon curd layer.  Replace the top of the friand over this filling.  Continue until all friands are filled.

Just try not to get carried away...

Comments

  1. Well I would be a major fan of these friands - anything with lemon curd is a winner in my book!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love lemon curd. Looks perfect with the friand to me! I don't mind a piece (or two!) right now!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm sure that there can't be too much of a good thing ... ;o)
    Your friands, also called "financiers" in France, are just gorgeous !
    have a nice day
    Hélène

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just looking at this lemon curd is making my mouth water! Seriously:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. they are kinda cute! i would love to try making lemon curd one day? i've posted the nutty banana bread today, you can have a look and a mention on yr blog. have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  6. How gorgeous! J'adore les friands! I can imagine these tasted heavenly with lemon curd.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You produce the most amazing things, I am beginning to wish I had a daughter with your skills :) Diane

    ReplyDelete
  8. Miam! CEs friands farcis au lemon curd ont l'air divin... J'adore le lemon curd alors je suis vendue!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love lemon curd and almonds! I am dreaming of these now. Can you send me some?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Such a cute and tempting dessert! I love the filling....

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your little friands look delicious and this baker in Normandy might well give them a try this weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh My lemon seems to all over blog world today and it is spoiling my diet.
    mmmmm x

    ReplyDelete
  13. Lemon makes everything wonderful. And your friands look truly wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Brittany, these friands are just lovely, and that lemon curd looks beautiful and delicious. What a heavenly, decadent treat! Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh this looks just too good...and so does the quiche which is one of my all time favorites.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love the look of these, they look so so delicious and ever so cute too. x

    ReplyDelete
  17. I adore financiers, but I never thought of adding lemon curd. What a perfect combination! I love how yours look, I just wish I could reach out ad take a bite!

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a nifty idea splitting them in half and then filling them with lemon curd! :o

    ReplyDelete
  19. These are so cute and that lemon curd is just lovely. I'm sure every bite of these was savored.

    ReplyDelete
  20. When you love financiers and lemon curd (like me haha) they just look perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  21. All I can say is WOW! Those look heavenly.

    Maria
    x

    ReplyDelete
  22. They look delicious - really light and moist. You've made me crave lemon curd now!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I might be a little dense but what do you mean by 75 butter in the lemon curd ingredients? I am finally going to be brave enough to make it after my jar from trader joes is empty!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I think the Parisian chefs would most definitely be delighted with these beautiful little cakes. They look so pretty and must taste wonderful:)

    ReplyDelete
  25. Oh, I could get carried away with these little gems! The lemon curd looks so easy to make in the microwave- I'm going to try it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  26. I will take lemon curd an anything, especially these pretty little cakes.

    ReplyDelete
  27. I love lemon curd and with almonds these sound like a lovely combination!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Wow these look amazing! I love lemon curd but have yet to make my own or bake with them. Bookmarking this to try in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Thanks so much Brittany for showing me the link to this, I am soooo going to try them! I think you know me very well!!! Sorry I haven't been able to look at your cooking recently because I have had no internet, thus why my photos of Sticky Toffee Pudding are not up yet!! I will hopefully upload them tonight!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Oh my gosh, you could slather lemon curd on a shoe sole and I'll eat it, but that buttery friand looks absolutely divine. Beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Ils semblent vraiment fantastiques ! bravo ! j'adore le lemon curd, j'ai d'ailleurs une recette à essayer bientôt...
    j'ai découvert ton blog grâce à un autre blog : Un déjeuner de Soleil (c'est comme cela et aussi à cause du nom de ton blog que je sais que tu parles français :))
    bonne journée
    cath

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment