Chocolate Pepppermint Slice

This is yet another dessert I made for my "Girl's Night" sleepover. It has now become one of my most favourite sweets; I've made 2 separate batches in the past 3 days!  The funny thing is I never would have considered peppermint as one of my favourite things in a dessert.  I'd much rather custard or caramel or nuts.  But for some reason this is so tempting, so addictive and so refreshing.  The hard crack of the thick chocolate topping makes it really addictive; you want to continue to chomp away at it just so you can hear that drool-worthy crack of cold set chocolate.  And then there's that refreshing layer of peppermint filling which is soft-set and almost fluffy.  You truly can't fault this recipe and that's why I had to share it with you instead of baking it by myself twice..

Ingredients for Base
3/4 self-raising flour
1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1/2 cup desiccated coconut
1/4 cup sugar
140g unsalted butter, melted
1 egg, light beaten

Ingredients for Peppermint Filling
1 1/2 cups icing sugar, sifted
30g white vegetable shortening (copha), melted 
2 tbsp milk
1/2 tsp peppermint essence

Ingredients for Chocolate Topping
185g dark chocolate, chopped
30g white vegetable shortening (copha)

Method for Peppermint Slice
Preheat the oven to 180 degrees and lightly grease a 28cm x 18cm shallow baking tin.  Line in the tin with baking paper, making sure the paper overhands the two longer sides.  This makes it easy to lift the cooked slice out of the tin. Sift the flour and cocoa into a bowl.  Stir in the coconut and sugar, then add the butter and egg and mix well.  Press the mixture firmly into the tin.  Bake for 15 minutes, then press down with the back of spoon and leave to cool.  For the peppermint filling, sift the icing sugar into a bowl.  Stir in the shortening, milk and peppermint essence.  Spread over the base and refrigerate for 5-10 minutes, or until firm.  For the chocolate topping, put the chocolate and shortening in a heatproof bowl.  Half-fill a saucepan with water, bring to the boil, then remove from the heat.  Sit the bowl over the saucepan, making sure the base of the bowl does not touch the water.  Stir occassionally until the chocolate and shortening have  melted and combined, then leave for 4-5 minutes until slightly thickened.  Spread evenly over the fillling.  Refridgerate the slice for 20 minutes, or until the chocolate topping is firm.  Carefully lift the slice from the tin, using the paper as handles.  Cut into pieces with a warm knife to give clean edges.  Store in refridgertor.  makes 24 pieces.

Comments

  1. Chocolate and mint are a match made in heaven! I used to have a recipe for this kind of bar, but it had chocolate syrup in it, and I decided to hold out for one that involved real chocolate. BINGO! And if you made them twice, they must be delish!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds delicious and very dangerous to have around! I must give it a try!

    ReplyDelete
  3. En plein mon genre de truc. J'adore le chocolat noir et la menthe quelle combinaison rafraîchissante!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love that dessert. Chocolate and mint go so well together.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That looks like a glamorous cake version of a peppermint patty!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love chocolate and mint. Really goes well together especially in ice cream :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. this is totally up my street... I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love chocolate and mint. This looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sounds really good Brittany, just like my favourite ice cream - mint choc chip. Great to have in the house as a midnight treat!

    ReplyDelete
  10. My Mum used to make this for our lunch boxes when we were younger. What a great blast from the past ;0)

    ReplyDelete
  11. The hard crack of chocolate against softly set peppermint sounds very very inviting! this looks like a dessert i wont be able to stop eating!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This looks like a slice of heaven. Your friends were very lucky to have been treated to such desserts at the sleep over!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love chocolate and I love peppermint so this can only be exceptional, my mouth is watering! Diane

    ReplyDelete
  14. nice combination..feel like eating a piece of chocolate peppermint for replacement now!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Brittany, this looks fantastic - so good in fact I want some right now. I love the cool white with the dark chocolate too especially with a chocolatey snap - yeah!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Even though I don't like peppermint, like.... at all, this little treat looks great! I could easily imagine an alternative like orange or coconut. Still, your recipes are great!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love peppermint in baking. Your right, it has a sweet refresshing flavor and is just sooo good!
    Your peppermint slices sound fantastic!

    xx,
    Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  18. Peppermint and chocolate has to be one of my favourite pairings

    ReplyDelete
  19. this looks delicious! i love chocolate and mint :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. YUm Yum Yum, peppermint wouldn't be one of my favourites either but chocolate and peppermint is a whole different story.
    Lovely --- might have to make. x

    ReplyDelete
  21. These look so good! Peppermint and chocolate go so well together.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Peppermint and Chocolate are never given enough accolades. They are fantastic together. Sometimes dessert should be refreshing.

    ReplyDelete
  23. You have reminded me how much choc peppermint is my favorite kind of slice! Ever! I haven't had any for a very long time, I am so making this.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Wow that looks good! I love chocolate and mint together, I think it comes from not being able to have the more common nut and choc combinations - I need to replace it with something ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  25. I think that would be very dangerous for me to have around the house - it looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment