Carrot and Apricot Slice

My Mum is in what I call her 'cake-loving' phase at the moment.  She isn't a big cake eater (weird, right?) but she will randomly have cravings for certain cakes.  Of course, I'm only too happy to cater to these cravings; which is exactly what I did today.  You see, for the past few days she has purposely left this magazine out on the kitchen bench on the exact same page for me to see.  Finally I looked at it today and noticed it was a recipe.  Go figure.  She had layed it out purposely for me  in the hope that I would bake it to satisfy her craving.  I think that this cake-cross-slice will definitely do the job.  The texture is divine; so soft and moist.  And the hint of cinnamon admist the carrot and apricot is such a good combination too.

Ingredients
1 1/2 cup plain flour
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/3 cup brown sugar
2 generous cups grated carrots (about 2 medium carrots)
1/3 cup dried apricots, chopped
1/2 cup light olive oil
2 eggs
1/2 tsp vanilla extract

Ingredients for Icing

1 cup icing sugar
2 tsp soft butter
2 tbsp lemon juice
2 tbsp desiccated coconut

Method
Preheat the oven to 180 degrees and grease and line 18cm x 28cm slice tin.  In a bowl, sift together the flour and cinnamon.  Mix in the sugar, carrot and apricot.  Make a well in this mixture.  In a separate bowl, whisk together the egg and oil and vanilla.  Pour this egg-oil mixture into the well of the dry mixture.  Fold together until just combined then spoon into prepared tin.  Smooth mixture in the tin.  Bake for 25 minutes or until golden and firm to a gentle touch.  Once cooled, prepare icing.  Sift icing sugar in a bowl and add butter and lemon juice.  Mix with a spatula or spoon until smooth.  Spread over slice and sprinkle with coconut.  Leave to set then cut into squares to serve.

Comments

  1. Ooh yum, carrots, apricots, and olive oil? That sounds really good. It looks really moist too. Great job! Your mom must be happy to have you as her private baker :o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love carrot cake. With apricots...it will be delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry I cannot spell this morning and hit publish too soon !!!!
    I love carrot cake so the added extras here certainly sound very good. On my 'to do' list :) Diane

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have to admit my husband isn't much into cakes and I don't really get that either! But this looks lovely and like you whenever he expressed an interest in one I'm happy to oblige! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Superbe ce gâteau aux carottes et aux abricots. J'adore!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Now this one looks delightfully moist and delish! I love carrot cake and will try this one with its interesting ingredients... Wait, I'll be over for a taste first!

    Bises,
    G

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your mom may not crave cake often, but when she does, she has GOOD taste. This cake sounds delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your mum is one lucky lady! This sounds delicious, I love the idea of apricots in carrot cake.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This sound yummy! Trust mom to pick out a great recipe! Well, mom always knows best... :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Such a cute story :) My parents don't like cakes either... but we keep on baking! The olive oil addition sounds interesting, must try that sometime!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sounds great--the olive oil addition is wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love your blog! So many tasty stories! I have added you to my bloglist and hope that you might do the same!
    Thanks!
    Kim

    ReplyDelete
  14. You are a good daughter! Looks lovely and I am sure your Mum loved it ... whats not to love right?

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love a good carrot cake! And it's so appreciable to make it for someone you love!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I would never have thought of combining all these ingredients together but they so work! Bravo!

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a simple yet effective cake recipe. And I love the coconut frosting. Divine x

    ReplyDelete
  18. j'adore les cakes salés il a l'air délicieux bravo
    bonne journée

    ReplyDelete
  19. Un cake qui a l'air délicieux et bien joli !
    Bises

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love the combination of carrots and apricots! Would never think to put them together. Scrumptious!

    ReplyDelete
  21. mmm...i just love fruit/vegetable cakes. they always have such a lovely dense but soft consistency!

    ps i'm hosting an earring giveaway today http://cailenascher.blogspot.com/2011/03/spiral-style-giveaway.html

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love carrot cake and the apricots will give it a different flavour and texture. This is certainly one for me to try!
    Thank you

    ReplyDelete
  23. What a lovely thing to do for your mum. Carrot and apricot definitely sounds delicious. I love carrot cake!

    ReplyDelete
  24. je t'écris ce mot en français pour que tu t'entraines. j'ai vu ton message sur Cake in the city et d'un bond je me retrouve en Australie. je vais regarder ton blog plus attentivement maintenant. tu as fait en tout cas un très joli gâteau.

    ReplyDelete
  25. So funny! I love that your mom left you the hint to make this. It sounds wonderful. I love the idea of the carrots and the apricots..very different and the icing with the coconut must really add a nice flavor too:) I would love to try this.

    ReplyDelete
  26. I would crave for this one too ... ;o)))
    Have a nice weekend
    Hélène

    ReplyDelete
  27. How beautiful Brittany! This sounds delightful! I was thinking about carrot cake the other day...I haven't had it in quite some time!

    Yours looks fabulous!

    xx,
    Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  28. This looks devine Brittany! It is nice to visit again! Thanks for your comments! I love apricots, along with everything else!!!! :D

    ReplyDelete
  29. This looks so good! It even sounds healthy and not too sweet to indulge in!

    ReplyDelete
  30. I am addicted to all things apricot... never heard of an apricot and carrot cake before but I can't imagine it tasting anything but delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  31. I like carrot cake!
    This cake sounds delicious!!

    ReplyDelete
  32. I am loving your blog! And this cake looks so moist and yummy. I would have never thought of the combination of carrot and apricot!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Wo hame ek lamha na de paye apne pyar ka,aur hum unke liye apni zindagi gawa beithe play bazaar is very good blogspot satta king Dil se roye magar honto se muskura beithe,yunhi hum kisi se wafa nibha beithe.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment