Quick Fried Rice

Yesterday my sister and I couldn't decided what to have for lunch, and there weren't really many ingredients in our fridge.  On impulse (and using what I could find) I threw together this yummy fried rice.  You can substitute the ingredients for what you have, but just ensure there is a balance of colours as this is important in Asian cooking. 

Ingredients
2 cups cooked jasmine rice
1 small onion, chopped rougly
1/2 clove garlic
sesame oil
3  thick slices of ham, cubed
1/4 cup broccoli, chopped very finely
1/2 small zucchini, chopped finely
1/2 cup corn kernels, drained
1 egg
1 tbsp soy sauce

Method
In a saucepan, heat sesame oil on medium heat.  Cook onion until soft; then add garlic.  Add broccoli and zucchini; cook until almost soft.  Add ham; stir through.  Add rice and soy sauce; stir through.  Add corn kornels; stir through.  Make a well in the rice, quickly crack egg into this whole.  You must act quickly now, and stir the egg evenly through the rice so that everything has a good coating.  Turn heat off once you are sure all of the egg yolk is cooked through.  Rice will still have a slightly slicked/sauce like texture.  Don't expect it to be dry.  Serve

Comments

  1. Fried rice always reminds me of growing up! It's such a nostalgic dish for me :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks really yummy and so simple. Diane

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love fried rice, it's the first dish I learnt to make as a little girl :).

    ReplyDelete
  4. My family loves fried rice. To me, it is comfort food anytime of the day! Yours look yummy and delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  5. How appealing and it looks quick to get together. I have eaten so much sweet stuff over the Holidays that cooking a nice meal like this will be just the thing to set me right.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Un riz frit des plus délicieux.
    Je note ta recette.
    Bon week-end et à bientôt.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This looks delicious. Might try it out tomorrow! Have a great weekend :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love fried rice! It's so versatile and easy to make for a quick dinner. Your add-ins sound yummy. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've been sitting here trying to decide what I feel like for dinner and I saw your post. You've reminded me of the fried rice I used to make with my Mum all the time - thank you ;0)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Try the risotto, it's even better! Have a nice week end!

    ReplyDelete
  11. hi, the best thing abt cooking fried rice is you can just dump in whatever meat or veggies that's left in the fridge. Yours look very good and colourful too!

    just another tip..if you want your fried rice to look more golden, what you can do is beat the egg first, then coat with the cooked rice and stir fry the rice over high heat till fragrant and add in all the rest of the ingredients as usual.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Elle a l'air délicieuse, elle est originale et elle présente très bien cette salde de riz

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a creative use for leftovers! Looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I am a big fried rice fan. I would want to make it vegetarian. I think, that is doable.

    Yours is making me hungry as is that beautiful marble cake.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment