Nougat

Nougat is one of my Dad's favourite treats except I've shied away from making it because it seemed difficult.  You need a sugar thermometer, the perfect timing, the right amount of beating and not to mention nougat is rather sticky!  But, I don't apologize for sharing this recipe; however finicky it may be.  In the end, it's very much worth the effort.

Ingredients
2 cups caster sugar
1 cup liquid glucose
1/2 cup honey
2 egg whites
1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
125g unsalted butter, softened
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 cup water
100g almonds, unblanched, (and toasted, if desired)
120g glacé cherries

Method

Prepare a 18 x 28cm baking dish by lining it with baking paper (or simply use a throw-away foil tin).  Put the sugar, glucose, honey, water and salt in a saucepan.  Stir over low heat until sugar is pretty much dissolved.  Bring to the boil and cook for around 8 minutes or until mixture reaches 122 degrees (or 225F) on a sugar thermometer.  Correct temperature is important for the mixture to set properly. 
Beat the egg whites in a clean, dry bowl with electric beaters until stiff peaks form.  Slowly pour 1/4 of the sugar mixture onto the egg whites in a thin stream and beat for up to 5 minutes, or until the mixture holds it shape.  Put the remaining syrup over the heat and cook for 2 minutes (watch that it doesn't burn) or until mixture reaches 157 degrees (315F) on a thermometer.  Pour slowly onto the meringue mixture with the beaters running and beat until the mixture is very thick. 
Add the vanilla and butter and beat for a further 5 minutes.  Stir in the almonds and cherries with a metal spoon.  Turn the mixture into the tin and smooth the top.  Refridgerate for at least 4 hours, or until firm.  TUrn onto chopping board and cut into pieces (using a hot knife may help).  Keep in fridgerator.  If you want softer nougat, leave your serving of nougat to sit at room temperature before eating.

Comments

  1. I've always been scared of it too - but I must try to make it one day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks beautiful and delicious! I was never a fan of nougat until I had some in Greece this past summer that was scented with orange and studded with almonds. Now I dream of it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have to say that I have also shied away from making it but it is easy to buy in France, though not cheap, so maybe I have a small excuse LOL. Yours looks fantastic so maybe I will have a go at it one day soon. Diane

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is very nice to meet your blog. It has issues and attraction? Es notable.
    www.vivendoteologia.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Il est vraiment beau ton nougat avec les morceaux de cerises... C'est vrai que le nougat ça demande beaucoup d'attention, mais c'est tellement bon:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am sure you made your Dad very happy. I have never made Nougat, but like it a lot. I would love to try a piece of yours.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your dad is one lucky dad! I like Nougats too but I think that I do not have the patience to make one! Yours look really fabulous, wish I could have some!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love nougat, both the soft kind and the hard kind, but I've never made it. I think that's soon going to change--yum!
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nougat is on my list of things to try. Yours looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Can't tell you how many times I've bought the ingredients to make a batch of nougat for Hubby only to chicken out once I'm in the kitchen. Looks lovely though ... maybe I should give the idea another try!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm always a little afraid when I need to whip out my candy thermometer but this looks too delicious to pass up!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Bravo mon amie, un nougat très réussi.
    Il est délicieux.
    Je note ta recette.
    See soon.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great challenge! You really did a great job! ^^

    ReplyDelete
  14. looks well worth the bother though... and I love nougat... one day when I get round to it i'll have to give it a go! thanks for the recipe and the challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I am loving the nougat thing. I even been addicted to it. We were in Paris, Milan & Malta and I found that nougat is really famous.

    I can even eat it as my brekky §;-) a sugar addict, that's moi!

    TY for sharing the recipe. I will link your blog to mine so, I won't lose this recipe.

    Cheers Mate,
    /chie

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love nougat! All different flavors of nougat - vanilla, cherry and so on. Now how nice to have a recipe for making it. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh YUM does that look good! I wish I had some right now - I love nougat:) Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Brittany, I love, love nougat! It is one of my favourite treats. I wish that I could zap this grogeous version out, Jetson style, out of the screen and onto a plate.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Bonjour Brittany - the nougat looks really scrummy - it's one of my favourite taste sensations.
    xx
    Dianne

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love nougat, especially those from Montelimar, I will have to try your recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Lovely. I love Nougat and it's been on my todo list for a long time. It's the Spanish/Italian Torrone that I'm mostly fond of. Would you say liquid glucose is the same as what we call corn syrup here in the States?

    ReplyDelete
  22. wow this looks great! I'll have to try this recipe. I see a baking weekend coming up... :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. The first time I tried something like this was when I was a teenager living at home and I tried divinity which should be light and white, but mine were hard brown rocks. Wish I had a picture of it. Your nougat looks absolutely perfect. Here you have to calibrate your thermometer as we live way about sea level and water will boil 10-15 degrees less. Once you figure that out, a thermometer isn't bad!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Bonjour Brittany,
    I need to try this, I've never used a thermometer before so this is a good time to try. I made your Baked Rice Pudding and it was delicious. It will be a regular dessert from now on!
    Yes, the museum I posted about on the blog is gorgeous - very small and no crowds which is perfect!
    Boon chance on your new courses, how exciting for you.
    Bonne weekend,
    Mimi

    ReplyDelete
  25. Nougat!! Who would of thought. Thanks for posting this. Nougat is one of my very favorite treats. I have never made it but...I just might now. Thanks Brit!

    ReplyDelete
  26. I keep meaning to make nougat but have not done it yet. I think you have done a great job.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Very impressed with your nougat - it looks wonderful. I too keep shying away from giving this a go and anyway, I don't have a sugar thermometer ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  28. quel magnifique nougat, bravo !! il est superbe

    ReplyDelete
  29. I am AMAZED that you made this! I didn't even know there was a recipe for such a thing. I do remember really liking nougat candies when I was a kid. Thanks so much for the recipe. I am definitely going to try this.

    ReplyDelete
  30. The nuts and fruit are so pretty in there! I'm definitely the type who's willing to put in a lot of effort if the end result is this pretty and delish.

    ReplyDelete
  31. I love nougat but have never made it myself. Yours is beautiful! Lucky Dad!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Hats off to you Britanny. I attempted this once, and it will probably be a long time before I make it again ;o)
    Btw...I have a real weakness for excellent nougat.

    Ciao,
    Claudia

    ReplyDelete
  33. i love nougat!!! this looks delicious :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment