Honey and Coconut Cake

This cake was a huge hit amongst my family.  As it was baking, I could smell the spices of this cake from downstairs!  And like any honey or cinnamon style cake, it was delicious to eat straight out of the oven.  Once it cooled, I topped it with Honey and Cream Cheese Frosting.  There's nothing better than a simple homemade cake on a Saturday morning.

Ingredients

125 butter, softened
2/3 cup raw sugar
2 large eggs, lightly  beaten
1 tsp vanilla essence
1/4 honey
1/2 heaped cup desiccated coconut
1 3/4 cup self raising flour
1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 cup milk

Ingredients for Honey and Cream Cheese Icing
150g cream cheese, softened
2 heaped tbsp icing sugar
1 tbsp honey

Method

Preheat the oven to 180 and line a 28cm x 18cm x 3cm slice slice tin.  Using electric beaters, beat the butter and sugar together until creamy.  Gradually add the eggs and beat again.  Add vanilla and honey; beat well until all combined.  Now using a large spoon, stir through the coconut.  Sift the flour and spices over the batter mixture; mix slightly with a spoon.  Pour milk in and mix with spoon until batter is smooth and combined.  Pour into tin and smooth out.  Bake in oven for 30 minutes or until skewer comes out clean.  Allow to cool in tin for 10 minutes before transferring to a wire rack.

Method for Icing

In a bowl, beat the cream cheese with electric beaters.  Add honey and sugar; beat until smooth and spreadable.  Spread evenly over cooled cake.  Store iced cake for up to 4 days in an airtight container.

I've shared this recipe at Sweet's for a Saturday which you can visit here to see many other fabulous entries.

Comments

  1. That's a lovely Saturday morning treat! It looks scrumptious! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks heavenly - I never would of though of combining coconut and honey for some reason - but I bet they taste wonderful together.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Coconut is a great addition to this cake. Looks delicious....

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am not surprised this was a huge hit, it looks and sounds quite delicious. Diane

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yum!I can hardly wait to try it. Your blog is so much fun as I love to bake, too.

    Thank you for the nice comment on my blog regarding my painting of Genie's coffee mugs in Paris. It is so much fun to connect with bloggers from around the world. One of my favorite people here is originally from Brisbane.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The cake looks very moist and delicious. And the cream cheese spread over the cake looks really yummy. When there's coconut in the oven, you can never hide the cake from anyone, they will just follow the smell! Mmmm....

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my that looks so good. There is nothing like some nice homemade cake.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Brittany, ton gâteau a l'air vraimetn super bon. J'adore les saveurs qui s'y trouvent (miel, noix de coco)! En plus, il a l'air telleement moelleux!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Miam!miam! Ton gâteau à l'air purement et simplement délicieux ma belle amie! Il semble si moelleux! Je piquerais bien une fourchette dedans si je pouvais! Bonne journée! Caro Bisous

    ReplyDelete
  10. Brittany, I'm not at all surprised that this was a hit with your family. It sounds wonderful. I'd love to have a piece of it with my coffee. I hope you have a great day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  11. un gâteau délicieux et bien parfumé comme je les aime, un bonheur pour les papilles
    bonne soirée

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love honey and coconut! I am definately going to try this. Thanks for sharing it!

    ReplyDelete
  13. oooh honey and cream cheese frosting... never thought of that! Must try it, thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Gâteau aux noix de coco est un de mes préférés, le glaçage a l'air succulent. Bravo!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Sounds lovely especially that honey and cream cheese frosting - have got to try that.

    ReplyDelete
  16. How adorable is this cake? I love honey and coconut, but I never thought of combining them!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh yum, no one would ever think to refuse a piece of cake that is dripping with such a sweet glaze. I have a linky party going on at my blog called "Sweets for a Saturday" and I'd like to invite you to stop by and link this up.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Great cake! And I love this icing!!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Great post! I may have to make this for my co-workers...They love cake! Well, it does help us get through some boring meetings.
    Thanks for sharing. I will be back to read your blog. Very nice!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh my gosh, I do love a cake that you can smell baking away, from another floor in the house. Delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  21. You have one lucky family. They get so many wonderful treats:) This looks incredibly good. I love coconut cake and with your honey and cream cheese frosting...wow...I would be in heaven.

    ReplyDelete
  22. How could that NOT be a hit?! Looks amazing - thanks for sharing:)

    ReplyDelete
  23. This looks mouth watering - I feel as though I can smell the honey and coconut already! I LOVE coconut as much as citrus flavours.

    Thanks for your kind words on my blog - Camilla clamed that cup before I could, she likes it too!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Ah, this cake looks awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Absolutely my kind ok cake! Bookmarked to make very soon!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment