Coffee, Choc-chip and Walnut Muffins

Baking ultimately is a demonstration of our love for those around us.  These muffins are no exception.  You see, I rarely make treats with coffee in them.  Personally, I don't really like coffee cakes.  But today I decided to treat my loved ones with these coffee and choc-chip filled muffins.  And even I enjoyed them; particularly when they were warmed up.

 Ingredients
100g walnuts
2/3 cup firmly packed soft brown sugar
125g unsalted butter, soft
2 eggs, lightly beaten
1/3 cup natural yoghurt, or sour cream
2 tbsp offee granules
2 tbsp boiling water
125g baby choc-chips
1/2 tsp vanilla extract

Method

Preheat the oven to 160 degrees (fan-forced) and prepare a 12 hole muffin tray.  In a food processor, process the walnuts and only 1/4 cup of the brown sugar.  Do so until walnuts are almost dusty; some little chopped bits may remain. Transfer to separate mixing bowl.  Cream the butter and remaining sugar together in the food processor.  With motor running, gradually add the egg and process until smooth.  Add yoghurt/sour cream, vanilla and process until combined; pour into bowl where processed nuts are.  In yet another separate bowl, combine the coffee granules and the boiling water.  Pour coffee into main batter bowl.  Stir through.  Now add the choc-chips and stir these through.  Distribute batter into 12 muffin cases.  Bake for 20 minutes or until springy when touched.

I even processed the nuts and sugar with extra love!

Comments

  1. Your muffins look lovely. I would love to try it some days.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am not a huge fan of coffee flavored baking either, but so glad you liked these - they look perfect to have with my afternoon cup of tea!

    ReplyDelete
  3. These sound just delicious to me. I will keep this recipe for later use. Must get rid of the extra Christmas kilos first. LOL Diane

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a gorgeous touch with the sugar heart! I bet your loved ones appreciated these lovely muffins :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lol - you are such a kind hearted person. When I make things with coffee in them its becasue I'm on a diet and I can't eat nice food lol

    ReplyDelete
  6. C'est certain, je vais préparer ces muffins ce week-end parce que j'adore les trucs au café. Vraiment une belle recette!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yummy! they look delicious, you have some lucky friends and family. I love the brown sugar heart. Ooh I have a dress in the same fabric as your background.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Look delicious and I'm sure they smell nice too! Your sugar heart is cute!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Mmm what a yummy combination and perfect wake-up treat with the coffee in there. Thanks for sharing this!

    ReplyDelete
  10. i quite like the taste of coffee in my bakes provided the end result is not too sweet, am sure this will be a swet delight for your famiy.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yum! That brown sugar heart is very cute :) I love all things coffee related, so this looks like a recipe for me!

    ReplyDelete
  12. heart-shaped sugar! So cute. And the muffins look great too, the coffee must make them very nice for breakfast :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. j'adore sentir l'odeur du café ton gâteau doit être succulent bravo
    bonne soirée

    ReplyDelete
  14. These muffins sound delicious. I agree; baking really is a way to show your love and appreciation for your family, and it makes you feel so good when you see that you have made them happy. These muffins would definitely make my family and me happy:) Your family must love all of the goodies you make.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh, the brown sugar in a heart shape is just too fantastic. These look so good and I am sure are delicious. We were having great muffins every morning when my niece lived with me! It was fun having someone to cook for who was a breakfast eater.

    ReplyDelete
  16. So yummy. I went through the stage of baking muffins and cupcakes for a while.Love that heart shape.

    ReplyDelete
  17. These really sound wonderful and I love your brown sugar heart. I hope you have a wonderful day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love coffee any way I can get it and these sound delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  19. They are wonderful! You're right, baking is sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Definitely a fool proof flavor combination... And since I have to have my coffee in the morning, why not in muffin form? Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Awww! That is so sweet! I love the pic with the heart-shaped brown sugar! Muffins lookin' yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  22. mmm.... delicious!! love the brown sugar heart.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Ooohh...I just love your brown sugar heart. :) Those muffins look super yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I love coffee in baked goods - that way I can get a double blast of caffine (the muffin and the mug of coffee!!)

    I heart your sugar heart!!

    ReplyDelete
  25. These sound so delicious and like they'd have a really nutty depth of flavour to them.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Those look delicious! I don't often put coffee in my baking either; if it makes sense, I'll sometimes substitute tea.

    ReplyDelete
  27. There is nothing lovelier than eating a warm muffin in the morning. Yum! How sweet, the sugar heart! Showing some love to you too; I left you an award on my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  28. My family all love coffee - I'm the only one who doesn't. I have to be in a particularly altruistic mood to bake with coffee!

    ReplyDelete
  29. What a loving muffin you shared with us Brittany.
    I actually appreciate coffee in a dessert, I find it brings the recipe to another level.

    Ciao for now,
    Claudia

    ReplyDelete
  30. So quick and simple and a defo crowd pleaser!

    ReplyDelete
  31. How cute is that lil heart of sugar. I love it. Sounds delish. You girls are turning me into a baker. B:)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment