Churros

Churros are delightful little doughnut sticks, orginiating from Mexico.  They are covered in cinnamon and sugar and can be eaten plain, dipped in chocolate, or a syrup.  Either way, they are so delicious and a real treat.   I made them for breakfast at a recent girls' night sleepover.  I bet you can imagine our giggles and gasps over how yummy they were...

I'm also now entering this as part of the "Forever Nigella" blogging challenge.  Go to page 138 of Nigella's Kitchen for the full recipe for Churros with Dipping Sauce.  Yes, she even has a fantastic recipe for chocolate ganache style sauce.  We didn't make the Dipping sauce as we were short for time, and knew they would be just as fabulous with plain melted chocolate.

Ingredients

50g caster sugar
2 tsp ground cinnamon
125g plain flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 tbsp olive oil
250mL freshly boiled water
+ around 500mL of vegetable oil, for deep-frying
+ melted chocolate or maple syrup, for dipping sauces

Method

Mix the sugar and cinnamon in a shallow dish; set aside.  To make the churros, put the flour and baking powder in a bowl; stir to combine.  Then beat in the olive oil and water with a whisk.  Keep whisking until you have a warm, sticky dough, and leave to rest for around 10 minutes or as long as it takes for the oil to heat.  Heat oil in a smallish saucepan (as it's less trobulesome and easier to manage).  Oil needs to heat to 170 degrees.  Take care with the hot oil.  When oil is ready, scoop mixture into a piping bag with a large star shaped nozzle (8mm-10mm).  Squeeze out the mixture, into the hot oil, and snip off the end of the dough with scissors to disconnect from the piping bag. Squeeze the churros out to your own desired length (but roughly 5-7cm long).  Cook about 3-4 at a time, and once they a deep golden-brown, remove them from the saucepan using tongs.  Place them on a plate lined with baking paper and let sit for 5 minutes before rolling them in the cinnamon and sugar.  Continue to make churros, in lots, until no mixture remains.  Serve, dip, and enjoy!  Make roughly 16- 18 depending on size.  Recipe by Nigella Lawson. 
Dip away..
                                      

Comments

  1. Wow! This is fantastic! Dipped in melted choc? My daughter would go crazy over this! She loves anything that's dipped in chocolate! Thanks for sharing, will surprise her with this! Gosh, should I get NL's book???... ^..^

    ReplyDelete
  2. My kids LOVE them (well, me, too). They are best fresh. Lucky you, to serve them for breakfast!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks tempting especially if coated with chocolate! Yummy, I wanna grab one now!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have only ever eaten them once, I remember them being amazing. Yours look delicious, I cant wait to try this recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh how you spoil me! I LOVE churros, but I've only ever had them in Spain with Hot Chocolate ... never had the guys to deep fry in my own kitchen but these looks so good I think its about time I got over my fear!

    ReplyDelete
  6. churros are new to me and they look really delicious. simple ingredients too..i like that!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, these are beautiful!
    Too bad the only churros I've ever had were the stale ones I bought from the vendor-lady at the train station... : /

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh man - the perfect girlie breakfast. Love that you dunked them in chocolate!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am such a fan of churros that this post is almost unfair in its ability to tempt a committed dieter :-). Your recipe is perfect. I hope you are having a great day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  10. These look delicious. I've long been a fan of churros, but have never made them. I need to add this to my "new things to do in 2011" list. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Such a comforting food! Pretty yummy with Nutelle ^^

    ReplyDelete
  12. Une belle gourmandise. J'aime beaucoup.
    A très bientôt.

    ReplyDelete
  13. These are my boys favourite. I just might have to try them for him ;)
    x

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm a huuuugggeee fan of churros because these are fried and good! In Montreal, I had one with dulce de leche inside, what a treat it was!

    ReplyDelete
  15. These look dee-lish! Good job with the deep-frying - do you do it often? How do you ventilate the place and keep it from getting your floors and everything all oily? Bravo!

    ReplyDelete
  16. @ Tia - I don't often deep fry, but I avoid splatter by using a little saucepan, as suggested and also use our exhaust fan over the hot plates. Definitely try it though, it's fun!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh yeah - now this is what I am talking about. I last had some churros when I was in Melbourne and they were delish! I am drooling over here!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. i have never made churros! can you believe that? i must fix that stat! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  19. I've never made churros either, I would love to find these at a party, they look so appetising, I can almost feel the sugar on my lips by looking at the picture!

    Thank you for taking part in the first Forever Nigella... I hope to see you again in future months!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Been wanting to try these for a long time. These look awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  21. i love churros! thank you for this recipe, i can't wait to make them.

    <3

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment