Profiterole Cake

Profiteroles are definitely one of my favourite sweets.  (In fact, anything with custard is).  My friend Natalie, who recently celebrated her 17th birthday whilst she stayed with us at the beach, also shares my love of custard.  So, for her birthday I decided to incorporate her two favourite sweets into her birthday cake: chocolate and custard.  The result? A delicious 'profiterole cake.' It has the intensity of dark chocolate in its icing which is sweetly balanced by the smooth custard.  I felt like I was eating a profiterole, except in cake form.  Just a word of warning, if you are a custard fanatic, serve this cake with extra custard filling!


Ingredients for Cake
225g unsalted butter, soft
225g caster sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
4 large eggs
200g self-raising flour
25g cornflour
4 tbsp milk

Method for Cake

Cream the butter and sugar in a bowl.  Add vanilla, and then the eggs, one at a time adding spoonful of flour between each.  Fold in the rest of the flour and cornflour, and when it's combined, add the milk.  Split batter evenly between two sandwich tins and bake in oven for 25 minutes (or until cake pulls away from edge of cake tin) on 180 degrees (fan-forced).


Ingredients for Chocolate Icing
150mL double [thick] cream
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 tsp unsalted butter
200g dark chocolate

Method
Melt together the chocolate icing ingredients in a saucepan.  Remove from heat and whisk till smooth and thickened.  Let cool before using.

Ingredients for Custard Filling
2 tbsp cornflour
2 tbsp caster sugar
3 egg yolks
1 cup milk
1 tsp vanilla extract, or vanilla bean paste

Method
In a bowl, place 3 egg yolks, cornflour and caster sugar.  Whisk together until smooth.  In a saucepan, on medium heat, stir the milk.  Allow milk to heat, whilst continuously stirring, just up to boiling point.  Do not allow milk to get to boiling point (eg. vigorous bubbling) otherwise it will burn or stick to pot.  Pour milk, gradually, into the egg yolk mixture; beating continuously with handheld electic mixer.  Strain mixture back into saucepan.  Heat over medium heat until custard thickens.  Remove from heat.  Add vanilla extract.  Allow to cool slightly before using.

Method for Assembly of Cake

Place 1 layer of cake on a plate.  Pour all of custard in the middle of this cake; spread out slightly to the sides.  Place next layer of cake on top of custard.  Do not be alarmed if some of custard seeps out.  Pour chocolate ganache/icing on top of this cake layer.  Serve immediately.  Once finished, place in fridge; where everything will firm up.

Comments

  1. Yum. Thats a great idea. Love the pictures too, I can taste that cake already!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks divine! I love custard and chocolate, I'd definitely have mine with an extra generous portion of custard :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum! It looks delicious, I've never heard of it before. It kinda looks like a boston cream pie.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for visiting my blog www.tickle-your-tastebuds.blogspot.com
    I'm glad you liked it! :)

    No, I didn't take that particular photo because all of the muffins were gone before I got a chance!!! They are that good! I'm going to replace it though when I make them again.

    I've become a follower on your blog and have also commented on the lemon coconut cake. It looks delicious, this cake however is something that Camilla would enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow does that look great. Your friend must have been thrilled. I have never had a profiterole. I think must try this soon:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks fabulous! It sounds so light and refreshing. Your white chocolate rocky road looks great too and soooo pretty. You always do such fun food.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Brittany! Stop! This is AMAZING! I wish I was celebrating my b-day at the beach! Holy Moses! Delicious! -
    xoxo Megs
    ps.... hope you are enjoying lovely southern hemisphere weather.... we are buried in snow!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This sounds and looks gorgeous - I love anything with custard in too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looks a bit like a boston cream pie. Love the thick layer of custard - anyone who doesn't adore custard shouldn't be allowed a slice!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Custard with chocolate sounds wonderful! Lucky friend!

    ReplyDelete
  11. avec cette crème qui dépasse c'est très tentant et bien gourmand, j'adore
    bonne journée

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yummy! This looks similar to what I know as Boston cream "pie" which is one of my favorites. Happy bday to your friend!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Extra custard, indeed! :) I like how you think!
    ~ingrid

    ReplyDelete
  14. How lucky is that Birthday girl to have such a thoughtful friend like you?
    The bonus is that you can actually bake real well. Believe it or not...none of my friends are great with the oven...sigh.

    Great idea to pair all those ingredients...YUM~~~

    Ciao for now,
    Claudia

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment