Nourishing Beef Tagine

After all the sweets of Christmas, it is so nice to have a nourishing meal which is still satisfying.  Seriously, since Christmas my sweet tooth has intensified.  So, to curb it a little, I put a slightly sweet edge to this dish. It balances the spices and compliments the vegetables. No more after-dinner cravings for plum pudding! As if.  Serves 4

Ingredients
olive oil
650g beef chuck steak, diced
2 medium brown onions, diced
2 garlic cloves, minced
2 1/2 tsp ground coriander (used at separate times)
1 tsp ground ginger
1 tsp cumin
2 tsp ground paprika (used at separate times)
2 cups beef stock (used at separate times)
1/2 cup boiling water
3 large tomatoes, chopped coarsely
1 medium sized eggplant, sliced and quartered
2 large zucchinis, sliced
3/4 red split lentils, uncooked
2 tbsp tomato sauce
1 tbsp BBQ sauce
2 tsp sugar

Method
Heat the oil in a large frying pan; cook beef.  Remove from pan; set aside.  Stir onion in same pan until softened.  Add garlic and 2 tsp ground corinander, 1 tsp ground ginger, 1 tsp cumin, 1 tsp ground paprika.  Cook, stirring, until fragrant.  Add 1 cup stock, the sugar and the tomatoes to the pan; bring to boil.  Reduce heat, simmer, covered, for 20 minutes.  Add lentils to mixture along with extra 1 cup of beef stock; let simmer again for further 20 minutes.  Slowly add the 1/2 cup boiling water throughout this 20 minute (eg. topping up spice and tomato mixture if it looks dry as water evaporates).  Uncover the pan and add the beef back to pan.  Stir through.  Add tomato and BBQ sauce.  Simmer for further 15 minutes for flavours to amalgamate.  Meanwhile, heat oil in separate frying pan and cook eggplant and zucchini slices until tender.  Stir vegetables through beef and spices mixture.  Allow to simmer for 5 more minutes before serving.

Comments

  1. Thank you Brittany for sweet comment :) Christmas was a feast this year! &nd very very white. Hope you had a fab holiday as well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The recipe sounds great, I enjoy savoury food as much as sweet ones :)!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your recipes and this is no exception. Diane

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm joining slimming world come 2nd jan, so I totally understand what you mean about the sweet tooth. And I reckon if I ate red meat this recipe would be a reall winner with me too ;0)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice dish! Especially with a cold winter ^^

    ReplyDelete
  6. This definitely looks very nourishing. I'm still in my indulgent mood though :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. That looks absolutly wonderful! I love the ginger and the lentils in your recipe! I'm not a big red meat eater I'll only eat it in savory recipes such as this one. Totally bookmarking this to make soon! thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ah! This looks ah-mazing!
    Looking at this picture at midnight is so not a good idea...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Que receta tan rica, con las especias debe tener un sabor fabuloso....
    un beso muy grande

    ReplyDelete
  10. This looks and sounds delicious Brittany - although like you, I find a slice of plum pud difficult to resist.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Looks delightful, but I have to look away because I am hungry, but it is bed time!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi, I´m stopping by your blog and I thing you have interesting recipies.
    wishing a HAPPY NEW YEAR. Marimi

    ReplyDelete
  13. A wonderful blog u have !
    I am not done with the sweets yet but totally lovee this tangine!
    Oh so good!
    Seasons greetings with lodsa love !

    ReplyDelete
  14. This looks like an awesome new way to use beef! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm a big fan of tagines, and this one looks terrific. Best New Year's wishes to you and your loved ones!

    ReplyDelete
  16. This beef tagine sounds really tasty!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Que rica se ve esa carne muy bien preparada,me encantó tu blog y me quNdo para seguir viendo tus maravillas,Feliz Año nuevo muchas bendiciones para ti y tu familia,abrazos cariñosos de una chilena de corazón.

    ReplyDelete
  18. play bazaar start a new bussiness idea. satta kinig good idea let's what's next earn money.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment