Mini Fruit Mince Pies

These little pies were my first experience of fruit mince.  And I absolutely loved them! Plus, they are mini pies which means they are even cuter to give as gifts (not to mention good portion size for the indulgent season).  I can't help but quote Nigella Lawson, who often says whenever she sees something minituare, "they belong to fairytown."

Ingredients for Pastry

150 unsalted butter
100g icing sugar
1 egg
250g flour

Method
Place butter and icing sugar in a mixer and blitz.  Add eggs.  Add flour until just comes together on the blade.  Add water if needed.  Allow to rest for 1/2 hour in fridge.  After that, use a little cutter (or a glass) to line mini cupcake tin. 

Ingredients for Fruit Mince
2 green apples, peeled, cored and chopped
250g suet mix
1 1/2 cups brown sugar
375g raisins
250g sultanas
250g currants
150g mixed peel
100g silvered almonds, chopped
1tbsp mixed spice
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1/2 tsp cinnamon
2 tsp grated orange rind
1 tsp grated lemon rind
1 cup orange juice
150mL brandy

Method
Place all ingredients together in a bowl and combine well.  Transfer to sterilize jars to keep, or fill the cooked pastry shells with fruit mince.  Top fruit mince with extra pastry shape.  Brush with egg yolk before baking in oven for around 25-30 minutes, or until golden. 

Comments

  1. Those look tasty.

    My grandmother made mince pies when I was a kid. Of course the mince she used was home made and included bits of meat from the head of a hog. She'd make a big bunch of it and can it in Mason jars. Then when making a pie it was a matter of emptying the jar into the pie crust. I've eaten store bought mince meat and there's no meat in it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are super cute! Definitely belong in fairytown :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the pastry cut-outs that you added on top, very delicate and beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nothing gets me feeling festive more than baking a batch of mince pies. Love the cut outs ;0)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very cute - I did a batch earlier this week, whilst secretly listening to a Christmas cd and slugging (a small) glass of Baileys :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those look so cute! I love the little heart in the middle.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This sounds really lovely. We love mincemeat pie and this would be a real hit with my family. I hope you are having a great day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  8. I take these are the English/British mince pies .. Which never contain meat ... They are normally always this size .. well since I have ever known they have been .

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love mini versions of almost any dessert and these are no exception. Never tried a mince pie before, but I bet I'd love it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. These do look beautiful and they must taste delicious with all of those wonderful flavors. I think anyone would be thrilled to receive these as a gift:)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Absolutely gorgeous little tidbits. I love the dusting of powdered sugar. You did a beautiful job.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What delicious little pies. They look like an ideal handheld treat. I love your little cutout touches on the top. By the way, I'm holding a giveaway on my blog for Orglamix Organic makeup and you're welcome to come by and enter. http://sweet-as-sugar-cookies.blogspot.com/2010/12/orglamix-organic-mineral-makeup-review.html

    ReplyDelete
  13. Adorable! I bet that filling would go nicely inside a baked apple...Yum

    ReplyDelete
  14. I want one! Like always your food is a work of art!

    I love your blog! I awarded you the Stylish Blogger award http://sugarcookieart.blogspot.com/2010/12/stylish-blog-award.html
    Congrats!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow those look delicious and completely adorable! They would make perfect little holiday gifts:)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Yes mint and choc are always my fave combo! love the idea of putting little hearts on top of the pies! they look so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Well, Brittany...if these belong in FairyTown...I guess the Foodessa Food Fairy better have a crack at making these cutie pies soon ;o))

    Your photo is adorably festive! Thanks

    Flavourful wishes,
    Claudia

    ReplyDelete
  18. Yummy! I love all things mini :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. These little pies are soooo cute! Would be a perfect present for the season!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment