Healthy Corn Fritters

These are perfect for a light meal and can be served with chilli sauce or sour cream.
But for tonight, I will be serving them as a part of our Christmas picnic.  Yes, my family and I are heading of to the local park for Christmas carols; along with our picnic basket! Merry Christmas to you all.

Ingredients
1/2 cup plain self raising flour
1/2 cup wholemeal self raising flour
1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
1 tsp ground cumin
3/4 cup light milk
2 eggs, separated
425g can corn kernels, rinsed and drained
5 french onion bulbs, sliced thinly and chopped
2 tbsp finely chopped fresh coriander

Method
Sift the flours, soda and cumin into a bowl.  Gradually whisk in milk and egg yolks until batter is smooth.  In a different bowl, beat egg whites until soft peaks form; set aside.  Stir corn, onion and coriander into flour/milk batter.  Now fold in the egg whites.  Pour 2 tbsp of batter for each fritter into heated oiled large fry pan.  Spread batter into a round shape.  Cook fritter for 2 minutes each side. Continue until no batter remains.  Serve with chutney, chilli sauce, lite sour cream or fresh coriander leaves! Roughly 60-65 calories per fritter.

Comments

  1. Perfect picnic fayre. I miss Christmas picnics so much ... I hear that my local Carols by Candlelight has been cancelled for this weekend though due to the weather so I hope you and your family are enjoying much nicer and drier days ;0)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow..un ottima idea per una stuzzicante merenda fuori pasto,complimenti mi piacciono un sacco!!! ;-)
    Un bacione a presto:-**

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a terrific fritter and perfect for a picnic. Have a wonderful time with your family!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is kinda like a Latka. Looks very Yummy and nice for the season. I won't be picnicing here because it is pouring down rain. Wish I was in sunny OZ. B:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mmm I love these flavorful type of healthy snacks. Looks fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yum. Those look great. I have never tried them but I would love to:)

    Merry Christmas to you too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. j'inscris ton blog dans mes blogs favoris
    bon dimanche
    val

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hope you had a lovely picnic! This is definitely perfect for picnics! Thanks for sharing this lovely recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Brittany, how wonderful, my father makes these !

    Joyeaux Noel!


    I have a New Giveaway from My Sparrow, do come and enter!

    xoxo
    Karena
    Art by Karena

    ReplyDelete
  10. I just know you will have a wonderful Christmas with the very best of Christmas fair. Enjoy it all & I look forward to more of your Yummy treats in 2011.
    Joyeux Noel et Bonne Annee !!
    xx
    Dianne

    ReplyDelete
  11. Looks delicious. Hope the picnic went well. Happy Christmas :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. These look great - as soon as something has the word "fritter" in its title my hears prick up!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love these kind of fritters. I make them all summer long!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment