Chocolate and Hazelnut Bûche de Noel

Here is another Bûche de Noel recipe! Of course the method is the same, however, the components are different.  That is the great thing about Bûche de Noel; you can fill it with whatever ingredients or creams you desire.  For this, I thought that Hazelnut Buttercream Filling with Chocolate Buttercream on the outside would be divine.  Let me tell you, I was spot on!

Ingredients for Sponge Sheet
4 eggs
100g caster sugar
100g plain flour

Method
In a bowl, beat the eggs lightly to disperse the yolk (by hand or with mixer if needed).  Add the sugar and continue to whisk/electric mix the egg and sugar until the sugar dissolves and pale ribbons form.  At this stage, fold in 1/3 of flour; continue to fold until no flour remains.  Spread the sponge mixture on a tray lined with baking paper.  Bake at 180 degrees (fan-forced) until golden and just firm; perhaps 15 minutes.  The sponge should spring back when cooked properly.  Remove sponge from oven and immediately begin to roll it by rolling it from the shortest edge.  Allow to cool.

Ingredients for Hazelnut Buttercream Filling
125g butter, cubed, at room temperature
1 1/2 cup icing sugar, sifted
2 tbsp milk, at room temperature
1/2 cup hazelnuts 

Method
Process the [unshelled] hazelnuts in a food processor.  You don't want them as fine as almond meal/powdered almond but you don't want them chunky.  Set aside hazelnuts.  Now make the buttercream.  It is important to have the butter and milk at room temperature.  Place cubes of butter in a large mixing bowl.  Cream until the butter is as white as possible, say 2 minutes.  Very gradually add half of the sifted icing sugar; beating continuously.  Gradually add the milk; beating continuously.  Very gradually add the rest of the icing sugar; beating continuously.  Icing should be a smooth and spreadable consistency.  Stir through the chopped hazelnuts. 

Ingredients for Chocolate Buttercream
125g butter, cubed, at room temperature
1 1/2 cup icing sugar, sifted
2 tbsp milk, at room temperature
1/2 cup cocoa powder

Method
It is important to have the butter and milk at room temperature.  Place cubes of butter in a large mixing bowl.  Cream until the butter is as white as possible, say 2 minutes.  Very gradually add half of the sifted icing sugar; beating continuously.  Gradually add the milk; beating continuously.  Very gradually add the rest of the icing sugar; beating continuously.  Add cocoa powder; beat in.  Icing should be a smooth and spreadable consistency.  

Method for Assembly
Unroll sponge cake.  Chop off any crusty edges. Ensure the side you frost is the bumpy side (as it was exposed to oven).  Spread all of hazelnut buttercream on this side.  Roll up by taking the short end of the sponge and rolling it to meet the other short end.  Place sponge on a plate.  Cover in chocolate buttercream. Cut diagonal slice of each end of the sponge so each end looks more like a log. You can place these bits of extra cake on top of the cake, or you can eat them, or discard them. Now, run a fork from one end of cake to other.  Place decorations on top.  Allow to chill in fridge for 1 hour before serving.

Comments

  1. Wow - that is my kind of a Chrsitmas Pud!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks beautiful! I will start baking some Xmas goodies too tonight, probably including a gingerbread house :D)!

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow...yummy :) and seems kinda easy to make. Love the corn fritters too, we have them with onions. Merry Christmas and enjoy the holidays.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sweet girl, grab that yummy chocolate, buttercream, spongecake, hazelnut, buttery dessert and get over here right now! That is divine!!

    Bises,
    G

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks really yummy, it'd be perfect for breakfast!(:

    ReplyDelete
  6. This does look divine- you can't go wrong with hazelnuts and chocolate!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is gorgeous! I can't believe it's the 21st here and I haven't done any Christmas baking yet. Now I'm trying to decide whether I prefer the hazelnut or the chestnut buche de noel. Hmmm...
    I completely forgot to link to my original post with the cupcake recipe. Here it is:
    http://marymaryculinary.blogspot.com/2010/08/peach-and-mascarpone-cupcakes-bake-n.html

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow looks amazing. Can I please have some? :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I must check out both recipes and flavor combinations. I love bûche and this one is beautiful. Chocolate and hazelnuts are perfect together!

    ReplyDelete
  10. You had me at hazelnut filling. Chocolate and hazelnut combo is my absolute favorite. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is something I've always wanted to try. Your buche de noel is just beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi! Your bûche looks really good.
    Thanks a lot for your nice comment on my site, I like what you do too and I have to say your French is pretty good! Hope to see you soon!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ah, it wouldn't be Christmas without a yule log- yours is just lovely! Hopefully I can muster enough enthusiasm to make one very soon, too.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow, this looks so delicious! Although my family have already got about 3 christmas desserts planned I´m seriously considering making this too. Told you I´m keeping up to date with your culinary happenings Miss Date!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I've been admiring this beautiful and festive type of cake for years, but it always seemed intimidating. But when you bring hazelnut into the picture, I can't resist anymore. Great job and happy holidays, Brittany!

    ReplyDelete
  16. One of these days I am going to make one of these cakes. Yours is beautiful. I bet it was so delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  17. une superbe buche!
    une tres bonne année bisous

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'm gone to convey my little brother, that he should also visit this website on regular basis to obtain updated from newest gossip.

    Feel free to visit my homepage ... fresh coffee beans

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment