Bûche de Noël (French Christmas Log)

My first Bûche de Noël! Miam miam, mes amis!
Bûche de Noël is a traditional Christmas-time cake in France.  It involves a rolled sponge cake filled with a desired filling and is usually encased in a buttercream.  The best bit is that the cake is decorated as a christmas log; so feel free to decorate it with icing sugar for a snowy effect, or even those plastic little christmas trees and deers! Thank you to chef Bruno Richeux for the recipe and for the baking lesson about Bûche de Noël.

Ingredients for Sponge Sheet
4 eggs
100g caster sugar
100g plain flour

Method
In a bowl, beat the eggs lightly to disperse the yolk (by hand or with mixer if needed).  Add the sugar and continue to whisk/electric mix the egg and sugar until the sugar dissolves and pale ribbons form.  At this stage, fold in 1/3 of flour; continue to fold until no flour remains.  Spread the sponge mixture on a tray lined with baking paper.  Bake at 180 degrees (fan-forced) until golden and just firm; perhaps 15 minutes.  The sponge should spring back when cooked properly.  Remove sponge from oven and immediately begin to roll it by rolling it from the shortest edge.  Allow to cool.

Ingredients for Sponge Filling
Chesnut purée, amount as desired (I used 5 tbsp for a thin covering)
Italian Meringue Buttercream (Vanilla Flavoured - Recipe below)

Ingredients for Italian Meringue Buttercream
1/2 cup of cold water 
2 1/4 cups of caster sugar
10 egg whites 
680g soft unsalted butter
1 tsp of pure vanilla paste/extract

Method for Vanilla Itailan Meringue Buttercream

Place the sugar and water in a saucepan.  Bring to the boil.  When the sugar syrup has been boiling for 5 minutes, you need to whisk the eggwhites for the last 2 minutes of this. At the 5 minute mark, remove the sugar syrup from the saucepan; it's finished. Now, with the electric mixer on high speed, slowly pour the hot syrup down the side of the mixing bowl.  When all sugar syrup has been added it should be thick and fluffy. Stop the mixer and change for the paddle attachment.  At this point we need the mixture to cool down.  So, beat on high speed for 10 minutes; or until cool to touch at the base of bowl.  Meringue mixture should still be thick.  Now, return the mixer to high speed and with a knife cut cubes of soft butter into the meringue mixture.  When butter is incorporated, the mixture should be thick and smooth.  At this stage, slow down the mixer to the vanilla.  Now split the italian meringue buttercream mixture in half; placing half in a bowl which will be turn into Chocolate Italian Meringue Buttercream.

Method for Chocolate Italian Meringue Buttercream
In a bowl, fold through sifted cocoa powder until you think it is chocolatey enough.  I would advise close to 1/2 cup of strong, good quality cocoa. 

Method for Assembly
As cake is now cool, unroll the cake from the baking paper.  Chop off any crusty edges. Spread your desired amount of chesnut purée (or other filling eg. curd, coulis, cream, icing) over the sponge evenly.  Now spread all the Vanilla Italian Meringue Buttercream over the chesnut purée.  Roll the sponge now by taking one of the shortest edges of the cake and rolling it forward to meet the other shortest edge.  You should now have a rolled sponge.  Cover the rolled sponge in the Chocolate Italian Meringue Buttercream.  Taking a fork,  lightly draw "bark marks" in the sponge by dragging fork spears from one end of the cake to the opposite end.   On a diagonal slant, cut a 5cm thick slice of cake and place it on top of the cake to create a log effect.  From the opposite end now, on a diagonal slant, do a thinner and smaller wedge and place this on your cake too.  Your Bûche de Noel is now complete! Allow to chill in fridge for 1 hour before serving.

Comments

  1. How thrilling Brittany. It turned out splendidly!!!

    I also remember when I made my first Bûche de Noël...a little more Italian style of course ;o)
    I was like a child with a brand new toy.

    So...how tough was it to eat this delightful dessert before Christmas? LOL

    Thanks for this recipe...I'll have to bookmark for the future.

    Flavourful wishes,
    Claudia

    ReplyDelete
  2. I made my first buche when I was taking French in high school. It didn't look anything like it was supposed to, but hey, logs come in all shapes, right? It tasted great though and my mom still requests it for her bday. I like the added touches on yours. The present and holly look lovely :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ohh my gosh that looks so delicious(: I've never made one of those before. It looks so pretty too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a grand achievement for a first attempt. It looks like it was done by a professional. Kudos. I hope you are having a great day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are incredible - your cake looks marvelous!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looking good!! I've wanted to make one of these since I was a teenager but I chicken out every year lol

    ReplyDelete
  7. What an achievement. I totally admire your marvellous attempt, I have yet to have a go at making one.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This looks beautiful. Very impressive. So festive. I have always wanted to try to make one of these but have been a little intimidated by it. Thanks for sharing your recipe and instruction:)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great job, Brittany! The texture looks great, really like a log. I've been admiring these types of cakes for a long time. Maybe it's time to try it soon.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you all! I'm going to have fun experimenting with this log style cake.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This cake has such simple ingredients yet looks so amazing! Very nice job!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Very Gorge!
    You've done yourself proud!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. j'aime ta bûche, elle est très belle
    bonnes fêtes
    val

    ReplyDelete
  14. How cute is that! I love the way you have decorated it.

    I think I might have to try making one next year - add that to my to do list.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love your buche noel. I learned about this cake last year around christmas through a BBC program called "The hairy bikers" (cooking series). yours looks truly great :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh my goodness! Awesome article dude! Thank you, However I am experiencing problems with your RSS.

    I don't know why I can't join it. Is there anybody
    else having identical RSS issues? Anyone that knows the answer can you kindly respond?
    Thanx!!

    My web site http://safedietplans.com

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment