Ratatouille

Ratatouille is a French style vegetable dish.  Chez moi, it is a dish we make a lot; usually served alongside rosemary lamb.  I love the almost sweet taste that the vegetables end up having.  A truly French provincial taste!

Ingredients
5 tomatoes
olive oil
2 red onions, diced
2 small red capsciums, diced
1 small green capsicum, diced
4 small courgettes, diced
2 generous pinches of salt
1 tbsp tomato sauce (or 1 tsp tomato paste with 1/2 tsp sugar)
1 bay leaf
2 generous pinches of dried thyme
2 generous pinches of dried basil
1 crushed garlic clove

Method
Bring water to the boil in a pot.  Score a cross in the base of the tomatoes.  Dunk the tomatoes into the boiling water for around 20 seconds, and then remove them from water.  Peel away skin, and roughly chop.  Set aside.  In a pan, heat the oil and add the onion; cooking over medium heat for 5 minutes.  Add capscium and cook, stiring, for 4 minutes.  Stir through the salt. Remove them both from pan and set aside.  Fry zucchini in pan until browned and return onion and capiscum to the pan.  Add the tomato sauce, stir well, and cook for 1 1/2 minutes.  Add tomatoes, bay leaf, thyme, and basil.  Stir well.  Add garlic; stir again.  Cover and cook for 15 minutes on very low heat.  Remove bay leaf.  Serve!

Comments

  1. Oh my goodness, Brittany, my daughter just asked me about this dish called ratatouille and she was curious how will it taste like, a couple of days ago! I told her that I would search for this recipe from the net when I have the time! Talking about right timing! Thanks for sharing this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A true classic. This looks delicious, Brittany!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a favorite of ours and we have it often during the colder months when our usual summer veggies are not as plentiful. Your recipe sounds quite tasty!

    Bises,
    Genie

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love to eat this, too. Yours looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This dish reminds me of the cartoon! :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am so glad you linked this to My Meatless Mondays. This is a dish that fits in anywhere, almost. Certainly,it is good for lunch and dinner. It is a wonderful blend of flavors.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love emptying out the fridge drawer and see what variety of ratatouille I come up with. It's always difficult for me to follow a recipe to the letter.
    Brittany...your recipe sounds very tasty ;o)

    Ciao,
    Claudia

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment