Petits Pois à la Française (French style peas)

This image really does not do justice to this dish.  In the past 5 days since trying this recipe, I've made it three times for our family dinner! It's absolutely delicious, healthy and easy to make.  I love the combination of vegetables; that type of vibrant green produce immediately transports me to a wholistic, country fresh place. 

Ingredients

50g butter
16 baby onions or French shallots
500g frozen peas
250g finely shredded iceberg lettuce
handful of fresh (Italian) flat-leaf parsley leaves
1 tsp caster sugar
1/2 cup chicken stock
1-2 tbsp plain flour

Method
Melt 30g of the butter in a large saucepan or frypan.  Add the onions and cook, stirring for 2-3 minutes.  Add the peas, lettuce, parsley and sugar.  Pour in the stock and stir well.  Cover the pan and cook over medium-low heat for 15 minutes. Stir occassionally so that the onions are cooked through evenly.  Mix remaining butter into pan.  Add small amounts of the flour to the vegetables; stirring until the juice thicken.  Serve.

Comments

  1. I'm already sold on something if it contains shallots! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Il y a longtemps que je veux faire des petits pois à la française. Qu'elle jolie photo!!! Elle est fort appétissante ma chère amie. Je note et me sauve pour faire la sieste, car je travaille cette nuit! Bon samedi, Caro B. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mmmmm, I forgot that I love peas with petit onions! My husband hates peas, the only thing he won't eat so I can't give him to hard a time. This looks so good tho I must make it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bonjour Brittany - this recipe is so very different... I must try it.
    Don't you just love the French term "petits Pois"
    xx
    Dianne

    ReplyDelete
  5. une très belle assiette qui me donne envie de repasser à table, j'adore
    bonne soirée

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dianne, yes I aboslutely love "petits pois" I mutter it to myself as I make this dish!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment