Panforte

Panforte is a traditional Italian dessert containing assorted fruits and nuts; and as such it would be an appropriate and unique sweet to serve at your Christmas table.  I tend to think that Panforte has a very individual taste. For instance, whilst it's not a favourite of mine, my mother and father absolutely loved it.  (Update: I've changed my mind, I like this a lot). I recieved this recipe and made my first panforte last night at a cooking school, so thank you to Kristie Rickman for the recipe.  It was a huge hit.

Ingredients
125g almonds
115g pistachios
125g coarsely chopped dessert figs
100g glacé cherries
100g glacé ginger
100g plain flour
1 tsp ground ginger
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp ground cloves
80mL honey
70g caster sugar
70g brown sugar

Method
Line a 20cm Spring form cake tin with baking paper.  Toast the almonds and pistachios in the oven to approx 8 minutes, or until toasted.  Combine the nuts, figs, cherries, glace ginger, flour and spices in a large mixing bowl and combine well.  Place the honey and sugars in a small saucepan over a low heat.  Cook whilst stirring until sugar dissolves.  Increase the heat and cook until mixture reaches 116 degrees on a sugar thermometer (soft ball stage).  Pour the hot honey mixture onto the nut mixture and working quickluy mix until combine.  Do not hesitate here because otherwise the sugar will only combine half of your mixture.  Spoon into the prepared cake tin and smooth.  Bake in oven at 160 degrees (fan-forced) for 35 to 40 minutes or until just firm.  Set aside to cool before cutting into wedges and sprinkling with icing sugar.

Comments

  1. Lots of nuts and fruit and very little flour... I do not think that I have tasted it but it sounds delightful. I have heard the name but never knew its ingredients. Sounds like it could be enjoyed in front of a roaring fire with deep snow outside...

    Bises,
    G

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have never heard of it until now. It looks splendid! It reminds me of a rocky road bar!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have heard of Panforte but have never tried it before. It sounds very chewy and fun to eat. Would love to try one of this.

    ReplyDelete
  4. this looks good - very nice and colourful, perfect for christmas :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm not a huge fan of the flavour either ... although the rest of my family are so I'll be adding this to the christmas recipe list ;0)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow this is an interesting cake, and love the idea of all the yummie stuff in it. The cake sure looks very colorful and tasty ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is truly gorgeous pan forte - a wonderful Christmas baking idea.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Although of Italian origins...my family was never big on Panforte. After, having looked at those ingredients, I can't imagine why not.
    I may just have to make them a new surprise this year...and who knows, maybe the homemade kind will win them over ;o)

    Thanks for bringing up this recipe.
    Claudia

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've been seeing panforte a lot in Aussie and British food magazines. Looks and sounds delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  10. tks for popping over :) Australia was a blast! We had too much fun, the children didnt want to go home....

    This panforte is something new to me, but I'd like to a bite of it soon :)

    I am so looking forward to your upcoming recipe...on homemade pasta. Unless we are at an Italian restaurants, everyone eats dry pasta, fresh ones cost a bomb to buy here...much like those aussie cherries :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh I like this a lot and yours is absolutely beautiful! I stare at the block of panforte every time I go to the Italian stand at our market but I never thought to make it. Kudos! It's just perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This sounds and looks gorgeous. Glad you liked it. I'm quite tempted to make this for Christmas, but don't have a sugar thermometer and am always worried I'll burn the sugar ;)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I loved your comment, "I have changed my mind". Thats just how it is, isnt it? So many things I love now. Like borsht. I hated it when I was growing up.

    I have never tired panforte. Interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  14. That looks good! I just tried panforte for the first time recently.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment