Hazelnut Shortbread

This is a unique twist on the classic shortbread.  I find that the texture of this shortbread is nicer; just slightly less buttery and austere.  As Christmas is the season of indulgence, and shortbread is such a festive classic, I do think that this would be a perfect Christmas gift to give to your friends or neighbours. (Can you spot my christmas tree in the background??) And please note the variations I've tested; both of which are equally delicious.

Ingredients
150g butter
60g icing sugar
40g ground hazelnuts (hazlenut meal)
155g plain flour
50g your choice of chocolate

Method
Preheat the oven to 150 (fan-forced) and prepare a 20cm (8 inch) round tart tin.  Beat butter and icing sugar together in a bowl until light and creamy.  Add the ground hazelnuts and beat until combined.  Using a metal spoon, fold in sifted flour.  Mix well.  Press mixture evenly into prepared tin. Smooth out surface of mixture (using heel of hand).  Score into mixture 16 wedges.  Bake for 30 minutes, or until pale golden.  Stand in the tin to cool.  Carefully remove the shortbread from the round tin.  Using a sharp knife, cut it into full cut wedges.  Place chocolate in microwave (or bowl over water filled saucepan) and melt chocolate.  Drizzle chocolate over the shortbread.  Leave to set.  (Store wedges in an airtight container in a cool, dry place for up to 3 days). 

Variation
1. For chocolate-hazelnut shortbread, add in chocolate chips into the shortbread mixture before baking.
2. For almond shortbread, use almond meal instead of hazelnut meal

Comments

  1. Looks delicious. I love chocolate and hazelnut together :).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hazelnuts are my favorite and I love shortbread. Great treat!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mmmm I LOVE hazelnuts! I have some hazelnuts waiting to be used for something like this!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yumm! I love the chocolate drizzled on top. It looks really good!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm liking the twist on the traditional shortbread. Looks so tasty its making me crave a piece with a nice warm cuppa!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awww...I wish my Christmas tree was up! That shortbread sounds yummy- perfect for holiday gifts. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love hazelnuts so this really appeals. Also love the generously sized piece and the choc topping!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yum! This is my kinda cookie!
    ~ingrid

    ReplyDelete
  9. A very small slice of Christmas tree joy is certainly part of your photo...so yes I see it ;o)

    I love desserts with hazelnuts and this shortbread must be very tasty ;o)

    Ciao for now,
    Claudia

    ReplyDelete
  10. That looks (and sounds) amazing! And cheers to loving French cuisine! It was living there that got me into cooking in the first place.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment