Bitter Cocoa Chocolate Cake

This is the final cake in the "Best Chococlate Cake" search! It comes from my best friend's mother, Rita, who is a talented cook. The cake itself was rather bitter; but balanced with the sweet icing. Whilst it doesn't win the "best" title, it was still enjoyable.  You will find the recipe below in the post.

I guess you're wondering what cake won the title of "Best Chocolate Cake?" Well, there are two winners! Firstly, if you love rich, dense and chocolately cakes then the Best Chocolate Cake for you is Nigella Lawson's Dense Chocolate Cake.  This one didn't even need icing it was that good!  I'm serious, about 15 people tasted all these cakes; and this one was the most popular.  Now, if you like things a little lighter, yet still very chocolately and satisfying...the best one is Women's Weekly Smooth Chocolate Cake.  This was still dense, but in a more "cakey" way instead of Nigella's more "brownie dense" texture.  I also think it's necessary to give a special title of "Best Chocolate Icing" and this goes to Nigella's Sour Cream Chocolate Icing.  It is "mouthfillingly smooth" and so easy to enjoy.

Thank you for following the Best Chocolate Cake search! If you try any of the cakes, I'd love to know.  Below is the recipe for the last chocolate cake in the search:

Ingredients
125g unsalted butter
1/2 caster sugar
2 eggs, lightly beaten
1 tsp vanilla
1 1/2 cup self raising flour
1/4 cup cocoa powder
2 tbsp drinking chocolate
1/2 cup milk

Ingredients for Icing
85g unsalted butter
1/3 cup icing sugar
2 tbsp cocoa powder
1 tbsp milk

Method
Preheat oven 180C. Grease cake tin. Beat butter and sugar until light and creamy. Add eggs graudally, beating after every addition. Add essence and beat until combined. Using a metal spoon, fold in sifted dry ingredients alterntaely with milk. Stir until just combined. Put in tin and smooth surface. Bake for 30 minutes or until skewer comes out clean. Leave in tin 10 mins then transfer to wire rack. To make the icing, beat butter, sugar and cocoa until light and creamy. Gradually beat in milk. Beat until smooth and spread over cooled cake.

Comments

  1. I'm surprised about self-rising flour. If I can figure out the grams, etc., for ounces or cups, I might just make this. The drinking chocolate is like Quick for making chocolate milk?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved reading about all of your chocolate cakes! They all looked delicious- I'll have to try your favorites!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am willing to taste test all of them. I love love love chocolate cake. I do love a great frosting though so no matter how good the cake, I still want lots of frosting!

    Your bra cakes were adorable too. I am going to have to try those some time. I have a friend who used to make a bikini cake that was pretty funny using a 9x13 inch pan and cutting out the waist and then using 2 Hostess cupcakes for the cups (the marshmallow covered ones, the name escapes me at the moment.)

    Keep having fun baking. It is so rewarding.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm kind of sad that the search is over. It was always exciting to read your reviews on each chocolate cake recipe.

    Based on your description, I think my favourite would be Nigella's...hands down!

    Thanks for sharing all these delightful cakes! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes Nigella's Dense chocolate cake is absolutely divine ~ Nigella & chocolate were made for each other.
    ~Dianne~

    ReplyDelete
  6. Bonjour Brittany,
    Yes, the Nigella cake looks divine. I am filing these recipes now. I have gotten behind in my bog visits, hope to get back on schedule soon. I need more of your scrumptious recipes.
    GOod Sunday to you,
    Mimi

    ReplyDelete
  7. How did I know Nigella was going to come out on top lol. And I'm not surprised that AWW was there either, both of these of these are my go to sources! Well done on a great round up and trial.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nigella Lawson prevails with chocolate cakes! I think I might try the dense chocolate cake some time soon. Can I ask you what book the recipes is from?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Que rico este pastel..lo que daría por poder comer un trozo...
    besos

    ReplyDelete
  10. Well done, Brittany! I like bitter chocolate cakes, I will give this a try! Bookmarking this! Looks like Nigella Lawson takes the bow! Thank you for this interesting 'Chocolate Cake' quest!

    ReplyDelete
  11. That looks amazing! Thanks for sharing(: I love chocolate cakes. They taste great either way!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I usually stuggle with bitter chocolate (I think I have the palate of a 10 yr old where chocolate is concerned!)
    Mr CC loves 80% cocoa content chocolate so I think he'd love this

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is the best!! Ok..i have to jot down the recipe and try it when i'm back from Australia. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I've never tried a cream cheese chocolate frosting, and now I have to wonder why? Going to have to do something about that soon!

    ReplyDelete
  15. You're just wonderful Brittany...all that hard work has helped many make a great chocolate cake selection. I'll be returning for notes ;o)

    Hope your studies are going as planned.

    Thanks for everything,
    Claudia

    ReplyDelete
  16. So when are we doing the best "vanilla" cake search? :)
    ~ingrid

    ReplyDelete
  17. How is my favorite Aussie Baker! I am sorry I have not been over in a while... finally feeling a break in the school year! Yum! I love that you had this contest! How fun, wish I was one of your testers! xoxo Megan

    ReplyDelete
  18. Megan! You make me happy :) I would have loved to have you as a tester, and a baking bud.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment