Best Buttercream for Cupcakes

I'm finally back and posting! I'm an official graduate of 2010 now.  Freedom is sweet (pun intended).  And for you, that means a lot more recipes!

Whilst this is a very simple recipe, it is by far the best recipe for icing that I've tried.  Usually, buttercream icing is not my strong point.  For some sad reason the butter separates or the texture is grainy.  But in the last week, admist making christmas cupcakes (as pictured) and 'thank you' cupcakes for my teachers and peers, this has not failed once! It's a fabulous consistency for piping and smooth decorating strokes.  Plus, it's super super delicious. 

Ingredients
125g butter, cubed, at room temperature
1 1/2 cup icing sugar, sifted
2 tbsp milk, at room temperature

Method
It is important to have the butter and milk at room temperature.  Place cubes of butter in a large mixing bowl.  Cream until the butter is as white as possible, say 2 minutes.  Very gradually add half of the sifted icing sugar; beating continuously.  Gradually add the milk; beating continuously.  Very gradually add the rest of the icing sugar; beating continuously.  Icing should be a smooth and spreadable consistency.  Note, in the fridge it will harden.

Comments

  1. Congratulations on graduating, I guess you'll be looking forward to the school holidays now ... lucky bugger ;0)
    This is the same recipe I use for buttercream and its never failed me yet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have graduated! Congratulations! Thanks for the buttercream recipe. Welcome back! ^..^

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations, Brittany!! Freedom is indeed, sweet. :) And so are your buttercream cupcakes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats, Brittany! I have missed your posts and glad that you will have more time now.

    I wonder if this buttercream would work for my macarons as it seems much quicker than my Swiss buttercream recipe... going to try it this weekend!

    Bises,
    Genie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congrats on Graduating!(: The frosting looks amazing. I've made buttercream frosting before too, not really a fan of it because it's too sweet for me. But I love how you decorated it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations! A goal accomplished. Does another lie ahead? Your frosting looks and sounds amazing. I hope you are having a great day. Blessings...Mary.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well Done Brittany - looking forward to some lovely recipes

    ReplyDelete
  8. Bonsoir,je viens de tomber sur votre blog;dommage qu'il n'ai de newsletter pour suivre vos gourmandises de près.Bonjour à l'Australie!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congratulations on your graduation. Look forward to all your recipes :) The buttercream icing looks divine! thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congratulations on your graduation! Gorgeous cupcake. Thanks for sharing your buttercream icing. I am always looking for frosting recipes:)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Congratulations! That buttercream looks yummy on those beautiful cuppies!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Congrats on graduating! Only three more terms and that will be me :) I adore buttercream frosting, sounds delish!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh...Brittany...I'm thrilled that I backtracked on your posts. I would have felt terrible to have missed your wonderful news. Congrats my dear on your accomplishments ;o)

    Ciao for now,
    Claudia

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'll should give this a try. my buttercream frostings also always starts to seperate...that's why I prefer adding cream cheese. but I'll have to give your method a try once.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wo hame ek lamha na de paye apne pyar ka,aur hum unke liye apni zindagi gawa beithe play bazaar is very good blogspot satta king Dil se roye magar honto se muskura beithe,yunhi hum kisi se wafa nibha beithe.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment