Nigella Lawson's Sour Cream Chocolate Cake

This is my 7th cake in the chocolate cake search and was recommended by some of you bloggers!  It comes from Nigella Lawson, so that in itself was promising.  She described that the sour cream provides a "wonderful mouth-filling smoothness".  She was right (like always) as the texture of the cake was velvety smooth and the icing was equally luxurious.  I actually declared that it was the best chocolate icing I've ever tasted.  This is a favourite cake and now one of the top contenders! The only thing that lets it down, it that the smooth texture hardens slightly in the fridge which you may see from the image.  I would therefore recommend serving it at room temperature.

Ingredients
200g plain flour
200g caster sugar
3/4 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp bicarbonate of soda
1/2 tsp salt
200g soft unsalted butter
40g best cocoa
150mL sour cream
2 lge eggs
1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract

Ingredients for Icing
80g milk chocolate
80g dark chocolate
75g unsalted butter
125mL sour cream
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 tbsp golden syrup
300g icing sugar, seived
1/2 tsp hot water

Method

Preheat the oven to 180 degrees (fan-forced) and prepare 2 sandwich cake tins.  Combine flour, sugar, baking powder, bicarb and salt in large bowl.  Using electric mixer, add butter.  In a measuring jug, whisk together cocoa, sour cream, eggs, and vanilla, then slowly add this mixture to flour ingredients in bowl; beating until thoroughly mixed.  Pour batter into tins and bake for 30 minutes; when they're ready cakes should be starting to shrink back from edge of tins.  Leave for 10 minutes in tins on racks, then turn out to cool.
To make icing, melt chocolate and butter.  Let cool a little, then stir in sour cream, vanilla and syrup.  Add icing sugar, and a little hot water, blending until smooth.  Place one cake on plate and ice the top; leaving a slight 1cm border.  Place the other cake on top and ice this too.  Then go around the sides of the cakes to ice.  There will be enough icing to generously ice the middle and top of the cakes; so don't be scant on one certain level.

Comments

  1. Chocolate cake at my place rarely ever makes it to the fridge. LOL.
    Thanks for the recommendation and the tip.

    Brittany...you're a real trooper for tanaciously trying all these chocolate cakes for us ;O) Someone has to do the laborious work. LOL

    Ciao for now,
    Claudia

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nigella has recipes that are so good. Your tempting me with your chocolate cake.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brittany, I love this photo! The beautiful pink plate goes perfectly with the gorgeous rich brown cake. Well done!

    Nigella always seem to know what she's talking about when it comes to chocolate.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It looks so darn fudgy? Are you chocolate caked out yet? Really is that even possible.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your chocolate cake and chocolate icing looks amazing. Nigella knows her stuff when it comes to decadent desserts. I love that you are trying them out and letting us know which ones are best. I so wish I had a piece right now:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have just made a chocolate cake, and the ingredients are the same, except for the difference in weights! My recipe is taken from Nick Malgieri's book! The cake turns out moist, light with a very tender crumb, just like yours! He! He! But I still think this is not the perfect chocolate cake, it doesn't have the full chocolate taste, what do you think? But all in all, this is a quite a good cake, not perfect, but quite good too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep agree... Not as decadent as it claims to be

      Delete
  7. I wish I would be able to taste test them all with you. This one looks really great!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That does look like a pretty good chocolate cake - kust the thing for when you need a sweet fix ;0)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Another beautiful chocolate cake! When you find your absolute favorite, I'm definitely making it. Thanks to you, I've got chocolate cake on my mind!

    ReplyDelete
  10. tis cake looks delicious. you have lots of chocolate cakes on one page :) I'm in need of chocolate now!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love Nigella's recipes!!! Your cake looks fabulous and delicious!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. ce gâteau au chocolat à l'air d'être une tuerie !!! Et si en plus il est signé Nigella...

    ReplyDelete
  13. Could I make this as cupcakes?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! I do that all the time... No changes. Just be careful not to fill up each mould too much because they rise too much ....

      Delete
  14. Superb post however , I was wondering if you could
    write a litte more on this subject? I'd be very thankful if you could elaborate a little bit further. Kudos!

    Here is my web page: 2013 at 5:43 am

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment