Chocolate Pound Cake

I was chatting to the lovely Kitchen Flavours with regards to cakes made on butter or oil.  We both decided that oil tends to result in a light texture which keeps better, but the classic taste and density of buttery cakes is really rather unbeatable.  So, for my next cake experiment I turned to the all time classic cake - the simple pound cake - with a chocolate variation.  This recipe comes from "500 cakes" which writes, "originally the cake was made with a pound each of butter, sugar, eggs and flour, hence its name." Whilst this cake was enjoyed, and its buttery crumb like texture was nice, I must say that it will not be taking the "best chocolate cake" title.

Ingredients
200g butter, at room temperature
320g caster sugar
6 large eggs
280g self-raising flour
4 generous tbsp of milk
1 tsp vanilla extact
5 tbsp best quality cocoa

Ingredients for Thin Layer of Icing
1 1/3 cup icing sugar
3 tbsp butter
2 tbsp warm water
1/3 cup cocoa powder
+ icing sugar for sprinkling

Method

Preheat the oven to 180 degrees (fan-forced) and grease and line a round cake tin.  Beat together the butter and sugar until pale and creamy, then  beat in the eggs one at a time.  Sift the flour over the mixture, then fold in.  Stir in the milk and vanilla.  Spoon the cake batter into the prepared tin and smooth the top with back of spoon.  Bake for 1 hour or until risen and skewer inserted comes out clean (slight chocolate stain on skewer is fine).  Leave to cool in tin for few minutes, then transfer to wire rack.  To make icing, beat together all ingredients and thinly smooth over.  Dust lightly with icing sugar and serve.

Comments

  1. Not only are you a great baker, you are an objective critic of what you taste. I love the old fashioned pound cakes but have never had a chocolate one. Please continue your search for the "best chocolate cake." Merci!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Este tiene un aspecto delicioso...y me lo anoto porque un día u otro lo hago.
    beeesos

    ReplyDelete
  3. I totally agree. Olive oil keeps the cake very moist. I like to use it in cakes but not in a lot of recipes. Keep on going! Anxious to see the outcome of the chocolate cake test.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You've made so many delectable chocolate cakes that I now have a reliable source for when I need a fix!

    For as much as like the lightness offered by oil, I'm a butter girl at heart. This cake is stunning.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So what's the winning cake so far? Such a shame its not this one, that looks like one heck of a chocolate fix!

    ReplyDelete
  6. je vais finir par m'inviter chez toi si tu continues à préparer des gâteaux aussi gourmands et chocolatés, j'en salive à chaque fois
    bonne soirée

    ReplyDelete
  7. Chocolate Pound Cake sounds so good right now, I could eat a huge slice. It looks so good.

    Maria
    x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Cant go wrong with a chocolate pound cake :) I love the icing on top.

    ReplyDelete
  9. @ Chele the winning cakes so far are the "Smooth Chocolate Cake" by Women's Weekly or the "Dense chocolate Cake" by none other than Nigella Lawson :)

    I'm only going to be testing a few more cakes, perhaps 2 more? Because I think Nigella will ultimately take the title :D

    ReplyDelete
  10. All Chocolate cakes are scrumptious!! I think cakes made using butter have a creamier texture than those using oil~ but at the end of the day,
    I would eat either and love them both!!
    ~Dianne~

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love this chocolate pound cake! Simple but scrumptious!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love that you're trying out all of these chocolate cakes, and I'm eager to find out which one you like best of all!

    ReplyDelete
  13. It certainly looks good. I wonder about half and half so you get the best of both worlds. I would still be willing to eat it to get it off your hands!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I found your blog by pure chance. I will give the address to my wife....we are French and she likes to cook.....

    ReplyDelete
  15. Yum, yum, yum! The ganache on top won me over! Can't wait to see your next chocolate cake experience.

    ReplyDelete
  16. looks so delicious! i can smell the chocolate from here!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow, I'm so venerated because of your comment on my Blog. :)
    Thanks so much. And I really love your Post, it's incredible gorgeous.
    Lovely regards,

    xx, Jana from petit fournil de paris. :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love anything with Chocolate. That's a great looking cake :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi Brittany, Looks like the search is still on! I have just made a choc cake today. Will be posting it soon!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I do love that you were candid enough not to make us waste our time trying. This is why we Foodies exist...to help each other do well in our kitchens ;o)

    Flavourful wishes,
    Claudia

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment