Chocolate Fudge Cake

This recipe is based on a "Chocolate Fudge Cake" recipe which comes from the Baking Bible.  When we ate a test slice at room temperature the cake was delicious - light and soft with intensely silky icing.  The icing was a real winning point.  However, overnight in the fridge the icing really hardened and the cake seemed to firm up.  Of course if it came down to room temperature it would be fluffy again, but all this 'changing of texture due to temperature' is annoying and detracts from this cake's ability of winning the "best chocolate cake" title.

Ingredients

175g butter, softened
175g white sugar
3 eggs
3 tbsp golden syrup
45g ground almonds
175g self raising flour
80g best cocoa powder

Ingredients for Icing
225g plain chocolate, in pieces
55g dark brown sugar or muscovado sugar
225g butter, diced
5 tbsp evaporated milk
1/2 tsp vanilla extract

Method

Preheat the oven to 180 degrees (fan-forced) and grease and line two sandwich cake tins.  In a bowl, beat together the butter and sugar for the cake until light and fluffy.  Gradually beat in the eggs one at a time.  Stir in the golden syrup and ground almonds.  Sift in the flour and cocoa powder.  Add around 2 tbsp of water, or more if needed until droppping consistency.  Spoon mixture into tins and bake for 30 - 35 minutes.  Leave cakes in tin for 5 minutes, then turn onto wire racks to cool completely.  When they are cold, sandwich cakes together with icing.  To make icing, place chocolate, sugar, butter, evaporated milk, and vanilla in a saucepan.  Heat gently, stirring constantly, until melted.  Leave to cool and then transfer to fridge for an hour, until spreadable.  To make love heart, melt some chocolate and layer a chocolate heart pattern on some baking paper.  Make sure its thick enough that it won't break later.  Leave in freezer for 30 minutes to set.  Once cakes are iced, top the cake with love heart and outline with white fudge icing or icing pens.  (I iced my cake with still warm-ish icing, so it melted my chocolate heart into the cake).  Serve.

Comments

  1. Je ne sais pas pourquoi, mais à chaque fois que je viens sur ton blog je mangerais du gâteau au chocolat! J'adore, il est superbe ma chère amie. PS: Je vais devoir faire un gâteau au chocolat; tu me donnes le goût! Bye! Caro B. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I never like cakes out of the fridge, you are right, they change their taste and consistency. The ingredients sound great. I like the use of almond flour.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I prefer to eat my cakes at room temperature except of course, cheese cakes. Another delicious but not THE perfect chocolate cake! I'm sure your lucky testers are not complaining! They have a very tasty job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this photo! Anything that big, shiny, and chocolatey has to be delicious. :~)

    Room temperature cake always seems to taste better, but letting them firm up in the refrigerator makes for easier slicing...So I guess if it comes down to flavour vs. presentation, the former always wins. :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a gorgeous cake. My mouth is watering...

    I actually adore when this kind of cake firms in the fridge. I like when it's chewy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ooh, that is EXACTLY what I need for breakfast right now. Looks delicious, cold or at room temp!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great photo! It looks really delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh I would want to lick the spoon when you finished with "silky icing" -- That phrase just had my mouth watering!

    Bises,
    Genie

    ReplyDelete
  9. Golosissima questa torta Cara,complimenti!!!!;-)
    Un bacio a presto..:-**

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have had that happen with certain icings. It is frustrating. That cake sure looks delicious, though:)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow - you are spoiling us with all these chocolate cakes. I have to admit to never putting my cakes in the fridge for the very reasons you have mentioned in your post.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Okay, so once you find the "best" chocolate cake are you gonna search for the best NON-chocolate (vanilla) cake? Please?! lol
    ~ingrid

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ingrid! I may well do! But I think I already have it? Donna Hay cake! http://bakingwithfrench.blogspot.com/2010/08/best-vanilla-cake-with-chocolate-leaves.html

    But best vanilla icing does need to be found..

    ReplyDelete
  14. Je dégusterai bien un morceau de ce gâteau.
    Il semble délicieux.
    Bon week-end et à bientôt.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Even though it wasn't your favorite, it still looks delicious. I wouldn't turn down a slice. :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Sorry the texture changes made it not quite perfect but I love how rich it looks. It's hard to turn any chocolate cake down for me.

    ReplyDelete
  17. un gateau bien gourmand.. j'aime beaucoup
    bises
    alimonia

    ReplyDelete
  18. Brittany...you do realize that you've managed to build quite the anticipation. I can't wait until you finish up all this choco cake baking.
    Give us your conclusion will ya?

    Ciao for now,
    Claudia

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment