Chocolate Buttermilk Cake

It's a well known fact that buttermilk instantly makes baked goods fluffy and light.  So I thought my next chocolate cake recipe should contain buttermilk to see if it would create a winner cake.  It definitely resulted in a fantastic cake which was fluffy...yet still dense. My friend's at school annouced it a "fluffy chocolate enjoyment." This may also be because the cake batter was made on oil (rather than butter) which means the cake will dry out slower and therefore keep better.   I think it even beat the original cake I posted from my Grandmother. Despite the praise, it was decided amongst us 15 or so school girls that Nigella Lawson's cake or the Women's Weekly cake are still the top contestants in this competition.  

Ingredients
2 cups flour
2 cups caster sugar
3/4 cup quality cocoa
2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
2 large eggs
1 tsp salt
1 cup buttermilk
1 cup vegetable oil
2 tsp vanilla extract
1 cup boiling water

Ingredients for Icing
1 1/2 cup icing sugar
2/3 cup quality cocoa
2 tbsp milk
2 tbsp butter, soft

Method

Preheat the oven to 150 degrees (fan-forced) and line a large round baking tin (This batter made a huge cake, plus an additional 4 cupcakes for my family, so prepare yourself for a large batter mix!)  Place all the ingredients in a mixing bowl, but ensure to sift the flour and cocoa beforehand.  Mix at medium speed until the ingredients are blended and smooth.  Pour into tin and bake for 1 hour - 1 hour and 20 minutes.  Test with a skewer.  Allow to cool in pan completely before turning out to wire rack.  To make the icing, beat all the ingredients in a bowl until smooth.  Ice cake using flicking motions to achieve this 'cloud like' icing texture.  Top with chocolate freckles, or homemade chocolate moulds (as pictured).

Comments

  1. Espero que tengas suerte, el bizcocho se ve delicioso.....seguro que no quedaron ni las migas
    Besos

    "I hope you have luck, the cake is delicious... insurance that were not or the breadcrumbs
    Kisses"

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hola Bretaña, que Descubierto tu blog y Latina Yo te lo veo me encanta ... SABES Que Australia es de los Sitios Que me gustaria ir ... una versión si Podemos Año de las Naciones Unidas.
    te seguire.
    MUCHOS besos

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brittany, what a beautiful confection to start off a weekend! I have not baked with buttermilk in some time but agree with your "scientific approach" to find a winner. Love the homemade chocolate molds on top!

    Bon weekend!
    Genie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Buttermilk performs miracles with cakes. Great job on the frosting! Though I would probably eat the chocolate stars first.

    XO

    ReplyDelete
  5. What an unusual shape, I love it! It's like a giant bon-bon. And so true about the buttermilk.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the star decoration on the top. The cake looks very delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Il est très tentant ton gâteau! Moi qui ai justement faim. miam! Bye ma belle! Caro B. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Brittany, Your panel of juries must be the happiest group of juries. They get to sample all your yummy chocolate cakes! Cakes with oil do keep better but I think cakes made with butter have the delicious buttery taste and flavour that the oil is lacking. But who knows, you might find the best chocolate cake is the one using oil after all!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lucky friends! The cake sounds delicious...and you can't beat that thick chocolate frosting! Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  10. The frosting looks so yummy and I love the star decoration!

    Maria
    x

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful cake! I love chocolate cake and yours looks incredibly delicious:)

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a great idea to bake and compare all these chocolate cakes. This one looks gorgeous, with its swirls of icing and those cool stars!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great looking cake - I love the stars ;0)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Brittany, I fully agree with the results since I also have a similar recipe. The only thing I add extra is a little instant strong coffee in order to bring out the intensity of the chocolate.

    I love how you've decorated the cake...great idea and may just use it for my next family gathering ;o)

    Ciao for now,
    Claudia

    ReplyDelete
  15. j'aime beaucoup les gâteaux à base de babeurre et celui que tu nous présente aujourd'hui est gourmand et trop alléchant, j'adore
    ps: j'ai des prix pour toi sur mon blog
    bonne journée

    ReplyDelete
  16. I didn't know that buttermilk can make baked good fluffy and soft (baking is really not one of my strong points...;)!!). Thanks for the info, the chocolate cake looks very yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hello dear! Okay... buttermilk cakes are my favorite! Delicious... your friends are so lucky... Is this your last year in school? I was just wondering if your plans have developed any more about heading off to Paris? xoxo Meg

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment