Yoghurt with Sweet Fruit Compte

This is one of my favourite things to eat.  It certainly makes an impressive start to the day, and so I would recommend it if you were cooking up a feast for guests at breakfast.  Don't discount it thinking that a compte is hard to make, it is so quick and easy, and really compte is just English for "stewed fruit." For me, it also echoes the taste of Christmas so it would be perfect for a Christmas breakky (even though it's a little early in the year to be thinking of one's plans foodie plans for Christmas...)Alternatively, you could trick yourself to believe that it's a healthier option for dessert!  Either way, it is delicious even though the recipe may sound odd.  I'll tell you the secret - it was inspired by my fruit cake recipe, which whenever I boil the fruit together I can't resist a spoonful of the sweet and sticky fruits.  The contrast of the cold yoghurt, with the warm and sweet sauce with crunch of almonds is just too great to describe.  When you drain away some of the excess butter (unless of course you want to have a sincerely indulgent start to the day) and pop it on some cold, thick, Greek Yoghurt then voilà you have a perfectly delicious bowl of "Yoghurt with Sweet Fruit Compte."

Ingredients
50g margarine, or cubes of butter
1/4 cup lightly packed brown sugar
1/2 cup low fat milk
250g mixed dried fruit
3/4 tsp cinnamon
1/4 to1/2 tsp nutmeg
generous pinch of ground ginger
2 tbsp almonds
+ 4 bowls of chilled Greek Yoghurt

Method
In a saucepan, combine the ingredients (minus the yoghurt of course).  Bring the mixture to a boil; then reduce the heat and allow for the mixture to simmer for approximately 3-4 minutes.  This plumps up the fruit.  Take off the heat, and top each bowl of yoghurt with spoonfuls of the fruity sauce.  You mainly want the dried fruit and almonds, not so much the liquid.  If your being fanatically healthy, pour the mixture into a drainer/sift to remove any excess butter/sugar before topping the yoghurt.  Enjoy!
Serves 4

I'm sharing these at Cocina's Sunday at One Food Club, you should share your Sunday recipe too!

Comments

  1. Truly delicious, this would be so great for my regular morning porridge. I normally add yoghurt and stewed rhubarb with a sprinkling of dried fruits, but this is a great way to combine that together!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Brittany thanks for stopping by at Dolliedaydream - Alfie sends his love! I'm so pleased you visited as I got to discover your blog too and will look forward to visiting you again :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That looks so good! (P.S. I know what you mean about France. We had two weeks holidays there last month and it was wonderful!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love greek yogurt, I can eat it with anything. That fruit compote looks like a yummy option :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. This really sounds delicious. I love the consistency of Greek yogurt and the compote takes it to another level. It would be a perfect holiday breakfast. I hope you are having a great day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  6. Brilliant. And you're right. It will be perfect for house/breakfast guests. I'm always compelled to do something a lot more complicated and messy. But no need!

    Keri

    ReplyDelete
  7. Now this is the way to eat yogurt. Looks so delicious and decadent in a good way! Thanks for linking up to Sundays @ One!. Angie

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is the kind of breakfast that I love to eat the morning of weeks! Sounds really yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yeah, Girl. With the likes of what you're putting her on your blog. You could probably KILL on a sandwich contest. Love your stuff...

    Keri

    ReplyDelete
  10. You had me at hello! x

    ReplyDelete
  11. hEY Frenchy... I'm pretty sure you can compete if CSNStores is sponsoring a giveaway. They just don['t pay for part of the shipping... NoPROBLEM.... I'LL MAke sure you have fun.

    Love, Keri

    ReplyDelete
  12. One of our favorites! I love this recipe, thanks for sharing. Thanks for all of the nice comments on my blog, so glad to have met you.

    ReplyDelete
  13. J'adore. Jolie combinaison de saveur. Bye! Caro B. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  14. I've been eating yogurt with fresh fruit and granola every day but this looks like an upgrade! Or even a beautiful dessert!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I almost missed this and I am glad I did not. I would love to eat this, a few times a week. Plain yogurt does not do it for me but with the compote, I could eat tons.

    ReplyDelete
  16. More than thousands of the website can help you for reaching out for the live games result and play bazaar satta king games results are free on the every website but there is big trouble for the live game and superfast result of satta king Play Bazaar is trusted websbite.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment