Smooth Chocolate Cake

The next recipe I've tested in my search for the Best Chocolate Cake comes from Women's Weekly Cooking School book.  The recipe claimed to deliver a moist and dense cake because the mixture is boiled before being baked.  Indeed, this cake certainly had a lovely dense texture which I've been searching for! My friends rated it from a 7/10 to a 9/10.  The main feedback was that it needed an increase of cocoa.  What I particularly liked about this cake is that it was so smooth: the texture, the icing, and even the mixture itself before I baked it.  This may well have what it takes to be the Best Chocolate Cake, but I think it's too early in the search to say for certain.  For now, I give you this recipe and you can decide for yourselves.  By the way, this recipe results in enough batter for 3 cakes, or 2 rather large cakes.

Ingredients
3 cups caster sugar
250g butter, chopped
2 cups water
1/3 cup cocoa powder (or more)
1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
3 cups self-raising flour
4 eggs

Ingredients for Icing
90g butter
1/2 cup caster sugar
1/3 cup water
1 1/2 cup icing sugar
1/3 cup cocoa powder

Method
Preheat oven to 160 degrees (fan-forced) and grease and line 2 to 3 round baking tins (or recipe says a 26.5cm by 33cm baking dish will also work for 1 large cake).  Stir sugar, butter, water, sifted cocoa and soda in a medium saucepan over heat, without boiling, until sugar dissolves.  Bring to the boil.  Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 5 minutes.  Transfer mixture to a large bowl; cool to room temperature.  Add flour and eggs to bowl; beat with electric mixture until mixture is smooth and pale in colour.  Pour mixture into pan.  Bake cake for 50 minutes.  Stand in tin for 10 minutes.  Meanwhile, make icing by stirring all the ingredients in a saucepan until mixture is smooth.  Cover and refrdigerate for 20 minutes or until it thickens.  Beat with a wooden spoon until spreadable.  Smooth over cake.  Decorate as desired.

Comments

  1. Congratulations!!!!
    It's fantastic

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's beautiful! The topping looks so luscious and smooth. I love the flower adorned on top.

    ReplyDelete
  3. looks good!! I think i have that book too! Please continue with your search and let us know! :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. um, i think it is 9/10
    seriously, you know how fast we eat cake, and this is almost gone (mostly by me)
    so well done :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. That looks delicious! And it's a noble pursuit trying to find the best chocolate cake! :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am glad that you are on this quest, Brittany, as I am sure that I would weigh a ton before being satisfied that I had tested enough - hah!

    Beautiful cake and sounds delish!

    Genie

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for taking up this quest! Hope you will find the ultimate chocolate cake, then we could all bake this and post together! I have extended an award to you, I may be new to you and vice versa, but I think that you have a lovely blog! Please do drop by to pick it up when you can. Have a good day.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That cake looks like a chocolate lovers dream! I've never tried that method before but it sounds interesting. Love the little flower on top! :D

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow! This one I am actually going to make!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. J'écris mon commentaire en français pour t'aider à améliorer ta grammaire (and because my english is very poor !). Tes recettes made in Australia sont vraiment dépaysantes vues de France : mettre de l'eau dans un gâteau au chocolat, ça me semble bien étrange. Mais je suis curieuse et je te le promets, je vais bientôt essayer pour découvrir comment est ce gâteau à l'intérieur de son glaçage si brillant.
    Et merci de ton sympathique passage sur mon blog !

    ReplyDelete
  11. That is a beautiful looking cake, Brittany. Keep on testing!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Mamma mia che buona,mangerei lo schermo!!!!!;-)
    Bravissima e tanti baci:-*

    ReplyDelete
  13. Such an elegant cake - beautifully done!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wo hame ek lamha na de paye apne pyar ka,aur hum unke liye apni zindagi gawa beithe play bazaar is very good blogspot satta king Dil se roye magar honto se muskura beithe,yunhi hum kisi se wafa nibha beithe.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment