Lemon-Vanilla Yoghurt Cake

I have not updated in a week because I've been inundated with study for my exams.  I  have been resisting the urge to abandon my work and retreat to the kitchen, but I know I must push through until the holidays. Because of this small absence from baking, I was naturally very happy to finally be able to make a cake yesterday!  What does one bake when they haven't for a while? For me, something simple but delicious!  And this Lemon-Vanilla Yoghurt Cake certainly ticks that critera with its light texture, moist outside, and fantastic lemony flavour.  The recipe is created by me, inspired by generic recipes for a Lemon French Yoghurt Cake.

Ingredients
1 1/2 cups plain flour
2 tsp baking powder
1 pinch of salt
1 cup caster sugar, less 1 and 1/2 tbsp
2 tsp grated lemon zest
1/2 cup plain yoghurt
3 large eggs
1/2 cup vegetable oil
25g vanilla sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
+ extra 1/2 vanilla extract

Ingredients for Glaze
Juice from 2 lemons
1/4 cup powdered sugar

Method
Preheat the oven to 170 degrees (fan-forced) and grease a small loaf pan or round cake pan.  Sift together the flour, baking powder and salt.  Add 1 tsp of the grated lemon zest, and using your fingertips, lightly rub the zest into the flour.  In a seperate bowl, lightly rub the other tsp of zest into the plain caster sugar until the sugar has some parts moist from the zest and other parts untouched.  Add the yoghurt, eggs and vanilla to the sugar.  Whisk together until smooth.  Add this mixture, along with the 25g of vanilla sugar, to the dry ingredients; mix until just combined.  Add the oil, and extra 1/2 tsp vanilla extract and stir until smooth.  Bake for around 45 minutes on 170 degrees (fan-forced).  Remove cake from oven when it is springy to touch and a toothpick comes out clean.  Cool in pan for 5 minutes, before inverting to a rack.  When the cake is cooled, combine the lemon juice and icing sugar together in a bowl and spoon this mixture over the cake.  Do not be alarmed if the glaze is thin, it will soak into the cake.  Refridgerate for 1 hour before serving.

Comments

  1. Hum! Je suis certaine que c'est délicieux. Caroline B.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, that is a traditional french cake baked for kids birthdays. I have made it as well. It is very yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks scrumptious! It would be wonderful with a cup of tea right now. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. c'est parfait pour accompagner une bonne tasse de thé
    bonne journée

    ReplyDelete
  5. Now this would be one for my boy! I loves anything Lemon! I might have to try. Alas the diet started today for me :(

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds lovely and looks luscious!
    Don't worry, kitchens and ovens will always be there whenever you are ready to return to them. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Allo Brittany, tu ira voir je t'ai écris un petit commentaire sous le tien. Bye! Tomates cerises et Basilic. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  8. hi
    it's a pleasure to discover your cooking, i like what you do (and those chocolate leaves, i have to try!). Forgive my english which may be even more bad than your french spelling…

    au plaisir!

    lili

    ReplyDelete
  9. That sounds like a really delicious flavour! I love lemon in cakes, it really goes so well with a sweet cake :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. A delicious cake! Good luck with your exams. If you are finished I hope all went well.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love cakes with yoghurt, sour cream or buttermilk and this certainly sounds lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I always appreciated putting together yogurt based cakes. This one sounds like a winner ;o)

    Flavourful wishes,
    Claudia

    ReplyDelete
  13. Lovely. Hope your exams went well!
    ~ingrid

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment