Curried Vegetable Strudel

A few weeks ago, my mum bought me the food magazine Recipes+ on the condition that I would make her the "Curried Vegetable Strudel" which was one of the many recipes that graced its pages.  I finally got around to making it last night, and I'll certainly make it again.  I'd been putting off making it because it seemed difficult, but really it's rather straight forward.  And for me, I love the fact that there is no meat and it uses korma paste which is my favourite curry paste flavour.  Pack it with different veggies or a different paste for your own flavourful dish.

Ingredients
1 tbsp vegetable oil
1 leek, pale section only, thinly sliced
2 lge cloves garlic, crushed
2 tbsp korma curry paste
150g button mushrooms, quartered
600g sweet potato, cubed
1 cup vegetable stock
2/3 cup frozen peas
2 lge silverbeet leaves, thinly chopped
100g paneer cheese, cut into 1cm cubes
5 sheets filo pastry
2 tsp sunflower seeds
2 medium tomatoes, cut into wedges, to serve
1/2 cup Greek-style natural yoghurt, to serve
2 tbsp chopped mint, to serve

Method
Heat oil in large frying pan.  Add leek, cook and stir for 5 minutes or until soft.  Add garlic and curry paste and cook/stir for 1 minute or until fragrant.  Add mushroom; cook and stir for 4 minutes or until soft.  Add potato and stock.  Cover; bring to the boil.  Reduce heat.  Simmer, covered, for 12 - 15 minutes, stirring occassionally or until potato is tender.  Uncover; add peas and silverbeet.  Simmer, uncovered, for 2-3 minutes or until liquid evaporates.  Transfer to a large heatproof bowl and cool.  Stir paneer through.  Preheat oven to 170 degrees (fan-forced) and line tray with baking paper/.  Stack pastry on a flat work surface, spraying oil between sheets.  Spoon mixture onto centre of pastry stack; leaving an 8cm border.  Fold in sides, roll up to enclose filling and form a parcell.  Place, seam-side down, on prepared tray.  Spray with oil; sprinkle with seeds.  Bake for 35 to 40 minutes or until golden.  Remove from oven.  Stand for 5 minutes.  Cut into slices.  Serve with tomato wedges and combined yoghurt and mint.

Comments

  1. Yay!! That curried strudel is making my mouth water ~ no wonder your Mum placed her order ~ I'm sure she wasn't disappointed!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We here are a land of pitas, well the filo pastry can be found in every shop, and even in farmers markets. Different little home factories make it and you can chose the thickness of the pastry sheets. I love the vegetarian versions too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have never tried Korma paste. Have to keep my eyes open in the store. Great strudel idea!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh goodness, what a wonderful idea.. a savory strudel! It looks just delish!
    Lovely to find your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What I love of your strudel recipe, is that it does not contain meat! Sometimes, I like to cook meals without meat... Your strudel is a wonderful recipe to try!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The recipe sounds very interesting, I only know Apfelstrudel ;)!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This really does sound wonderful. I love the use of sweet potato and chard. Together they make for an amazing flavor combo. Add the rest of your lovely vegetables and that glorious curry paste and you have the makings of a feast. I hope you are having a great day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love anything with curry! THat looks amazing! Something I would definitely make!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is so totally vegetable. I love that. Would you link it up to My Meatless Mondays? This is just the kind of recipe,we are looking for. Thanks Brittany.

    http://sweetsav.blogspot.com/2010/09/my-meatless-mondays-september-2010.html

    ReplyDelete
  10. I rarely think to make savory pastries, but this sounds so flavorful and easy, too! Great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Curry paste and filo dough...I'm in! :D This sounds delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  12. excellente idée un strudel salé me semble délicieux bravo
    bonne soirée

    ReplyDelete
  13. My mouth is literally watering reading this post - this is a delicious! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ce strudel semble délicieux.
    J'aime beaucoup cette version.
    A bientôt.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow, the strudel looks so delicious! Interesting to see paneer in it!

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is so full of wonderful flavors- it's no wonder your mom requested it!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow this sounds so delicious. I love every type of curry and anything with similar flavors and just happen to have leftover phyllo dough in the fridge. Score!

    ReplyDelete
  18. quelle bonne idée qu'un strudel mais version salée !!
    je note l'idée et testerai bientôt sur mes cobayes.
    j'aime aussi beaucoup l'idée qu'il soit végétarien.

    bon jeudi gourmand
    virginie

    ReplyDelete
  19. Very interesting recipe and combination. We have curried vege here all the time and strudels occassiionally...just never had them together :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Your Mommy has great taste and is also very wise to ask her great cook daughter to make flavourful dishes for her ;o)

    Have a great day,
    Claudia

    ReplyDelete
  21. What a great recipe! I'm excited to try it. I've never had anything like this but I just know I will love it. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Place on a helpful ungreased hors d'oeuvre web site not to mention compress partially. Maybe you've enjoyed a consider the vacationing couple's pc and also came to the conclusion it may be a almost no about the drab side area. Shampoo as your organization make dinner. Increased general discovery attached with advanced advanced level of sensitivity will likely be causing using social security proprietors to increase sustainable real estate listings establishment small-scale widespread investments, this includes orienting fabrications to sunshine. Drizzle the hot chocolate under the back filling because the paddle is ordinarily shifting. It lets you a great job from warming up areas and it doesn't involve providing overcooked savor additionally contexture if
    you are a microwave probably will implement.

    Feel free to surf to my web page: broiler oven temperature

    ReplyDelete
  23. Wo hame ek lamha na de paye apne pyar ka,aur hum unke liye apni zindagi gawa beithe play bazaar is very good blogspot satta king Dil se roye magar honto se muskura beithe,yunhi hum kisi se wafa nibha beithe.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment