Rhubarb Lattice Pie

Well, where to start?  I have had the best cooking experience, not to mention a generally good time, that I've had in a while.  My friend, Loren, invited me over to her house for a big cooking night.  Her family is Italian, so needless to say they have an inspirational passion for cooking, and welcomed me into their home and kitchen.  Oh their kitchen! It was an experience in itself.  They had a huge oven, a great gas cook top, and all the kitchen gadgets you could imagine.  They even had a draw for all their spices and their cupboards were perfectly organized! Besides from learning some Italian swear words, I learnt a lot about cooking from Loren and her family.  Did you know that cabonara is traditionally not made on cream? It's from egg.  Who would have guessed!  And sometimes it's better to abandon your utensils and use your hands to really bring mixtures together thoroughly.  Most importantly, I realized that food truly has the power to bring people together and enables you to learn exciting new things about people's history and culture.   

Loren's Cook top
Among other delicious dishes, we baked this rustic looking 'Rhubarb Lattice Pie' from the Donna Hay 'Seasons' book.  I can recommend both the pie, and the book. I can't wait to share the other recipes we tried out with you all.  And I can't wait to try them again in my humble kitchen.  So, here is a big thank you to Lorena...or as the Italians say...Grazie Lorena!  I will always remember cooking in your wonderful kitchen, with Italian words floating around, and the scent of baked goods wafting through the air.

 Ingredients for Vanilla Pastry
1 2/3 cup plain flour
1 tbsp caster sugar
1/4 tsp baking powder
180g cold butter, chopped
1/3 cup iced water
1 tsp vanilla extract 

Ingredients for Rhubarb Pie
385g rhubarb, trimmed and thinly sliced
1 cup brown sugar
1 tbsp cornflour
1 vanilla bean, split and seeds scraped
1 egg white, lightly beaten, for brushing
sugar, for sprinkling


Method for Pastry
Place the flour, sugar and baking powder in a food processor and process to combine.  Add the butter and process until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs.  With the motor running gradually add the water and vanilla and process until the mixture comes together to form a  smotoh dough.  Wrap in plastic wrap and place in the fridge 30 minutes before using.


Method for Rhubarb Pie
Preheat the oven to 160 degrees (fan-forced).  Place rhubarb, sugar, cornflour and vanilla bean in a bowl and mix well to combine.  Set aside.  Halve pastry and roll out each piece to 3mm thick.  Line the base of a lightly greased 22cm metal pie tin with a piece of the pastry.  Spoon the rhubarb mixture into the pastry shell.  Using a ravioli cutter, or knife, cut the remaining pastry into 12 by 2cm wide strips.  Arrange the strips on top of the pie to make a lattice.  Press edges to seal and trim excess.  Brush withe eggwhite and sprinkle with sugar.  Bake for 45 - 50 minutes or until the pastry is golden and crisp.  

Comments

  1. What a lovely blog you have! I love rhubarb pie. Your friend's cooking space is so gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bon jour Brittany!
    Cooking in someone else's kitchen is so inspiring. I love to see how others cook and I always feel inspired by the things they have - it usually means a visit to the store for spices or that special -"tool" they had that I just can't do without.
    Food is meant to be shared both in the making and the eating. I love it!
    I do love rhubarb too - I have fond childhood memories of eating uncooked pastry -mmm. x lovely - Suzi

    ReplyDelete
  3. That looks beautiful! I love lattice pies :) And a nice kitchen is a joy to cook in! :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Brittany, I think that you and your friend may share many great times ahead. You both have a passion for cooking and you each bring a perspective to the "table."

    What fun to share in a creative evening while learning some special Italian too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. j'aime beaucoup les tartes sucrées et je trouve cette version assez alléchante et tentante
    elle doit être succulente
    bonne journée

    ReplyDelete
  6. As you're lucky! I wish I had a friend who has all these knowledge in the culinary field ... And what a beautiful pie! I love rhubarb pie ...

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am intrigued by the vanilla pastry. The pie sounds wonderful and with such a unique crust it must be delicious. I hope you are having a great day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Brittany! I like this kind of dessert. Ciao!
    http://tomatescerisesetbasilic.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a delicious pie! It's fun to cook with friends, isn't it? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi, the vanilla pastry sounds interesting, I love rhubarb, I think I like the way it goes that beautiful pinky colour!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. this is gorgeous! I really want to try it now but I don't think I can get rhubarb here anymore... will have to save it for the spring!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I agree food really brings us together. Sounds like a wonderful time cooking with your friend's family.

    Your pie looks fantastic...looking forward to trying:)

    ReplyDelete
  13. oh wow! My Hubby would just adore this. Must try to find some decent rhubarb so I can make it for him.

    ReplyDelete
  14. This looks fantastic! :DDDD Delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Not only is this a stunning looking pie...I'm thrilled that my fellow Italian also made a pie shell without shortening.
    I'm thrilled that you had such a great time in a kitchen filled with joyful dedication ;o)

    Wishing you more of these fun moments.
    Claudia

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks for visiting my blog. So nice of you. There is so many sweets recipes that I can find on your blog that I would love to taste. Everything looks yummy. Bonne journée!

    ReplyDelete
  17. This looks fabulous--rhubarb is one of my favourite ingredients. I just discovered that it grows here in the fall too, so I may be able to make one of these before it gets too cold. I'm so glad you found me, as I've really enjoyed looking around your blog.
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. rhoooolala j'adore la rhubarbe !!!

    virginie

    ReplyDelete
  19. More than thousands of the website can help you for reaching out for the live games result and play bazaar satta king games results are free on the every website but there is big trouble for the live game and superfast result of satta king Play Bazaar is trusted websbite.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment