Orange Bundt Cake

This is an easy cake that has a deliciously crisp outside and a soft interior. Perfect for afternoon tea, or when someone unexpected comes over.





Ingredients for Cake

1 large orange (roughly 250g)
175g butter, at room temperature
3 eggs, lightly beaten
slightly less than 1 cup of caster sugar
2 cups self-raising flour
1/2 tbsp golden syrup
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 tsp orange zest, finely grated

Ingredients for Icing
60g butter, room temperature
2 tbsp orange juice
2 cup icing mixture

Method
Preheat oven to 180 degrees (fan-forced) and grease a bundt or kugelhopf tin. Cut the unpeeled orange into segments, remove pith and place in a food processor. Blend until smooth mixture. In a seperate bowl, beat together the butter, vanilla, zest and sugar until smooth and fluffy. Add in the orange purée, and on low speed, mix until combined. Gradually add the lightly beaten eggs, mix until combined. Sift the flour over the mixture, and with a wooden spoon mix together until almost combined. Pour the golden syrup over in a circle over the batter, and mix again with a spoon until well combined. Spread mixture into the pan, and bake for around 45 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean. Leave in pan for at least 5 minutes, before turning onto a rack. To make the icing, beat together the butter, and juice until smooth. Gradually add the icing mixture, and continue beating until smooth and spreadable consistency. Add extra juice if not to your desired consistency. Drizzle over the cooled cake, and serve.

Comments

  1. A cake as I love them! Crispy outside and soft on the interior ... And your orange-flavored icing... yumm! Yes you are right, with a good cup of tea, it would be a perfect accompaniment!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So pretty! I have one of those tins, and always looking for an excuse to use it! Puts me in the mood for tea-time

    ReplyDelete
  3. I rank oranges right up there with lemons and limes! What's not to love about a bundt cake infused with orange zest and doused with an orange icing? Thanks for sharing the recipe. :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. ¡Hola!
    Acabo de descubrir tu blog y me gustan mucho tus recetas.
    Este bizcocho te ha quedado fantástico.
    Saludos

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't think that anything beats an orange bundt cake, a little sweet but not too much!

    I'll bring the tea and be right there, Brittany!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful cake- I love the orange flavor!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This looks delightfully delicious :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yum! I love bundt cakes, this looks divine!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've never made a bundt cake before but it seems to have a great wow factor. I may need to give one a whirl some time soon.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That looks wonderful. Love the thick glaze layer on top. I made something similar but added poppy seeds. Very tasty!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This looks delicious! I would definitely like to try this, perhaps in half portions as my work group is only about 6-8 people.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yummy, crispy in the outside, soft in the inside... so tempting to try :-)

    Sawadee from bangkok,
    Kris

    ReplyDelete
  13. Brittany...I've always had a weakness for any baked treat with orange ;o)

    Thanks for your bundt beauty ;o)

    Ciao for now,
    Claudia

    ReplyDelete
  14. Jessica Lopez-CasasAugust 26, 2010 at 3:24 AM

    This looks lovely! You should bake this for Charlotte..you would win her over and become her bestie ;)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Looks delish!! orange is lovely in cake so moist
    I must buy a brundt tin!
    ~Dianne~

    ReplyDelete
  16. Every recipe you have posted is simply put divine!!! I truly believe a bundt cake mold can change my life!! However I am more of an eat the cake person rather than a make the cake type of person but your recipes do inspire me to be on the "other side" of the cake. Off to buy a mold wish me luck!!

    ~K.Jones~

    ReplyDelete
  17. YOWSA! I love the large dollop of icing over the bundt! Nothing better than a huge chunk with tea in the afternoon! yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Bundt cakes rock. I love the look of the glaze dripping down the sides. I bet some almond extract would be good, too.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment