Layered Lemon and Coconut Slice

Moi, I don't like lemon slice. Pour moi, it's too sweet. Or it's trop lemony. But this lemon slice, I seriously enjoyed! The coconut topping adds a new dimension and the lemon curd in between ensures that its not too overdone. I may have added some ingredients or changed the quantities, but thanks to Taste.com.au for the main recipe.

Ingredients for Base
125g unsalted melted, softened
2/3 cup caster sugar
1 1/2 cup self-raising flour
1 egg, lightly beaten
1/3 cup lemon curd (recipe follows)
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1 tsp lemon juice
Ingredients for Lemon Curd
50g unsalted butter, chopped
3/4 cup caster sugar
1/2 tbsp finely grated lemon rind
1/6 cup of lemon juice (eg. 1/2 of 1/3 of cup)
1 egg, lightly beaten
+ 1tbs corn flour
Ingredients for Coconut Topping
1 egg white, lightly beaten
3/4 cup if you want sweeter
1 1/2 cup desiccated coconut

Method for Lemon Curd
Place butter, sugar, lemon rind and lemon juice in a heatproof bowl. Place over saucepan of simmering water, don't let bowl touch the water. Cook by stirring constantly with a wooden spoon, until sugar dissolves. Remove from heat, whisk in egg slowly and return to heat. Cook, stirring with a wooden spoon, for 5 minutes or until mixture thickens and coats. If lemon curd is not thicken enough, whisk in 1 tbsp of cornflour and continue to stir over heat. Leave to cool whilst continuing to prepare rest of slice.

Method for Slice
Preheat oven to 160 degrees (fan-forced) and prepare a 18cm by 28cm slice pan. Place butter, sugar, flour, egg, vanilla and lemon juice in a bowl and stir to combine. Press into pan and bake for 15 - 17 minutes or until light golden. Meanwhile, make coconut topping by placing egg white, sugar and coconut in a bowl. Stir to combine. Once the base is cooked, spread the already made lemon curd over the base. Sprinkle with coconut topping and bake for 10 to 12 minutes or until coconut is golden brown. Cool in pan before cutting into squares and serving.

Comments

  1. Oh my God! A dessert with Lemon Curd! I LOVE Lemon Curd! And, in addition with coconut, it sure is good!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love lemon and coconut! The lemon curd in this sounds delicious- tart and sweet! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow - that's fabulous too! I looooove all things lemon AND coconut - will have to try this recipe in the very near future:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love lemon curd but I've never made it before. This is a great simple recipe. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. lemon and coconut......is there anyone on this planet that doesn't love this!

    ReplyDelete
  6. looks superb and I'm sure it tastes as good. Have you ever made lemon curd in the microwave?
    ~Dianne~

    ReplyDelete
  7. This looks so light and delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Everytime a dessert has lemon...I also find myself making adjustments with the tartness. I'll have to take into consideration that with your experience I can feel safe to try this recipe ;O)

    Flavourful wishes,
    Claudia

    ReplyDelete
  9. As you know, I am obsessed with citrus flavours and the lemonier something is, the better it is (until it gets a sour taste - then it's too much!!!). This looks absolutely wonderful. I have never made lemon curd, but I will have to try this recipe soon!
    Yasmin xxoo
    P.S. I'm thrilled that you liked my blog, I started mine the night when my mum visited!! I was inspired by you!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment