Healthy Vegetable Frittata

Unlike Europe, it's hard to get to farmer's markets to purchase fresh produce. But today, I finally had enough time to visit a fresh food market! The produce looked amazing, the prices were great and the people were friendly. What more could a foodie ask for? I came home with an abundance of vibrant vegetables and fruit, freshly cooked pumpkin bread and lots of ideas for future dishes. After my tiring shopping expedition, when I came to cooking dinner I decided that I need something quick, that would also allow me to incorporate a lot of my lovely vegetables. Hence, the frittata.
Frittatas are really a "no brainer" type of recipe. Some eggs, some milk or yoghurt and your choice of filling...et voilĂ  you have a simple but delicious meal; plus it's very healthy. This frittata is a vegetarian one, and although it uses some lemon you don't really taste that in the final outcome. So, if you'd like some lemon flavour to it I'd advise to increase the lemon more than what is stated. Also, I did make two frittatas and in the coming days I will post my other frittata creation, Rustic Vegetable Frittata which has a rosemary and garlic flavour.

Ingredients
1 potato, peeled and sliced
300g pumpkin, cubed
1 small floret broccoli, thinly sliced
150g fresh spinach
1 leek, thinly chopped
4 onion bulbs, chopped into 2cm thick chuncks
1 clove of garlic, minced
bit of thyme
7 eggs
1/2 cup of low fat greek yoghurt
1/2 cup of grated cheese
generous squeeze of fresh lemon
sprinkle of pepper
good splash of milk

Method
Cook pumpkin and broccoli seperately in microwave. Cook potato with lemon juice and a sprinkle of thyme in microwave. In saucepan, bring oil to medium heat along with onion bulbs and garlic. Cook for 2 minutes and then add the leek along with a generous squeeze of lemon. When onion and leek are soft, add in spinach and allow to wilt. Put another bit of lemon juice in, along with a sprinkle of thyme and some pepper. Pour potatoes in the saucepan too. In a large bowl, whisk together most of the grated cheese (reserve a sprinkle for end), eggs, yoghurt and milk. Pour the cooked pumpkin and broccoli in, and then the leek onion mix. Fold through evenly. Pour into a dish and smooth out. Put rest of the cheese on the top and give one last squeeze of lemon before putting in the oven for around 30 – 40 minutes on 160 degrees.

Comments

  1. we have farmers markets in this city of Belgrade of almost 3 million inhabitants in every district. Mine is about a 10 minutes walk from my home tucked away in the center of my district and about 2 minutes next to the Danube river. Buy my veggies and stroll along the Danube home. But, there is still a problem with regulating organic food here so I am not sure that it's totaly healthy, but still I love the fruits and vegetables bought in the market. Beautiful frittata!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks amazing! Frittata's are among my favorite things to eat in the weekend or when I want to cut back on the sweets.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'd never made frittata with pumpkins inside but, it's an original idea! Really! I will try it soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks fantastic - such a rainbow of colours!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Our farmers market is open from July until mid October. I go every Saturday. Just got back.
    We love frittata. My kids favorite has Kale in it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This looks delicious. Wonderful flavors going on this frittata...yum! I love going to the farmer's market and getting fresh foods. Sounds like you got some really tasty treats!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This looks amazing! And I am a huge fan of pumpkin, so thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This looks delicious and healthy. The colors of your frittata are wonderful. I hope you are having a great day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lovely vegetarian recipe! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Brittany,
    I just found your blog this morning, and as a fellow baker and lover of all things French, I'm so very happy that I did! This looks like a wonderful vegetarian meal (and the addition of pumpkin is brilliant!)

    ReplyDelete
  11. The pumpkin is what it takes it to new heights. That is such a good idea.

    Lucky you to get all that fresh food. It makes a difference.

    We got to eat the first tomato from our garden and it was so rich in taste, it was unbelievable. Nothing like it....

    We are frittata fans and I have to see how close I can get with the veggies.

    ReplyDelete
  12. pumpkins are so cheap to buy and full of flavour
    so I can't wait to try your recipe - I'm a frittata lover - so easy and full of flavour. I alternate between going to the Willunga Farmers Market and the Barossa- Valley Farmers Market, both are fantastik!!
    ~Dianne~

    ReplyDelete
  13. yah!! I've just cooked this delicious frittata and served it for lunch with a side salad
    . very tasty and easy to make! I used cream in place of yoghurt - and it was really yummy!!
    ~Dianne~

    ReplyDelete
  14. More than thousands of the website can help you for reaching out for the live games result and play bazaar satta king games results are free on the every website but there is big trouble for the live game and superfast result of satta king Play Bazaar is trusted websbite.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment