Chocolate and Hazelnut French Friands

I don't usually bake so many baked goods with chocolate, but in my defence most of the recipes I've been sharing lately are a combination of chocolate and another delicious ingredient. For instance, my last post of chocolate and coconut slice, or chocolate and sprinkle biscuits. This recipe follows the same pattern...Who can resist the heavenly combination of chocolate and hazelnut? The texture is denser compared to a regular French friand, but still delicious in its own right! As for indulgent icing, it would pair beautifully with regular chocolate cupcakes.

Ingredients for Friand
180g butter
1/4 cup plain flour
2 tbsp cocoa powder (I always use pure cocoa powder)
1 cup icing sugar
1 cup hazelnut meal
5 egg whites, lightly beaten

Ingredients for Nutella Icing
1/4 cup pouring cream
180g nutella spread
1/4 tsp vanilla essence

Method
Preheat oven to 200 degrees (fan-forced) and generously grease your friand tray. Completely melt butter in a saucepan on medium heat; but do not brown at all! Set aside. Sift plain flour, cocoa powder, and icing sugar into a bowl. Mix together with a spoon. Fold hazelnut meal into this mixture. Add egg whites and butter with a fork, stiring quickly until mixture is just combined. Spoon mixture into friand pans and bake for 5 minutes. Reduce oven temperature to 180 degrees (fan-forced) and bake for a further 15 minutes. Cool for 5 minutes before turning onto a wire rack to cool completely. To make the icing, use the whisk attachment to smooth together the vanilla and nutella. Set aside. In a seperate bowl, pour the cream in. With the whisk attachment, whisk the cream for around 1-2 minutes until the cream is thickened and is stiffer. Gradually add the thickened cream to the nutella mixture, whisking slowly. Continue this until all the cream is mixed smoothly into the nutella. Ice friands generously with nutella.

Comments

  1. This is chocolate heaven!! Look so rich and delicious :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love friands and that icing looks divine!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The chocolate desserts are always a good choice. Especially when the icing is so rich!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love chocolate and hazelnut together- so delicious! Thanks for visiting my blog- I just signed up to follow your posts and was #44- the same as you were on my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's delicious and great combo, looks so tempting. Thanks for dropping by my site and leaving your sweet comment, hope to see you often..

    ReplyDelete
  6. What are you doing to me girl!!! I'm gaining pounds just reading your posts, let alone looking at the photos lol. YUMMO!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Must have NUTELLA! It has been hard for me to get beyond just eating it out of the jar with a spoon, but this looks wonderful! Is hazelnut meal purchased or ground like almond flour for macarons?

    ReplyDelete
  8. In my ideal word, I would eat chocolate and hazelnut every day. What a tempting treat you've made here :).

    ReplyDelete
  9. It looks amazing! Like a French Nutella cupcake!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love the choc and hazelnut combo. These look divine!

    Maria
    x

    ReplyDelete
  11. Brittany...my resistance is starting to short circuit...way to many goodies at your place. I'm gaining weight just coming by to see you ;o)

    You must make your family and friends very happy.

    Flavourful wishes,
    Claudia

    ReplyDelete
  12. Here is another flavor I can't resist- chocolate and hazelnut! Delicious. I would have to lick that frosting right off the top. It looks so creamy.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Brittany, thanks for visiting my blog. You post a comment asking about apple farm in Brisbane. Unfortunately there is none. The apple farm that I have visited (the entry that you read) is about 1 hour and 40 minutes from Brisbane. The farm is in Stanthorpe. Maybe you can google to find out more about the place. Sorry I can't help you with more detail.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh yeah! Chocolate & hazelnut - a winning combination:)Fabulous photos too - thanks for sharing!!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment