Pumpkin Scone Bread

It is a truth universally acknowledged, that scones are a delicious baked good enjoyed by all. And pumpkin scones are certainly no exception....




In keeping with my buttermilk rampage, these pumpkin scones incorporate buttermilk which is why they are so light and easy to eat. Whip them up for an afternoon tea or a nice breakfast and I can guarantee you won't regret it. (Ps. I'm aware that my scones don't look like store bought high scones, this is because I don't own scone cutters. But they still taste delicious!)

Ingredients

2 cups self-raising flour (plain or wholemeal)
1 tbs caster sugar
pinch of salt
60g butter, chilled and cubed
1/2 cup low fat buttermilk
1/2 tsp nutmeg
2/3 cup mashed pumpkin
2-3 tbs pumpkin seeds
+ optional buttermilk to brush with before placing in oven

Method

Preheat oven to 170 degrees (fan-forced) and line a baking tray with baking paper. Sift flour, sugar and salt together in a bowl. Add the butter, using fingertips rub butter into flour mixture until mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs. Make a well in the centre and add buttermilk, pumpkin and seeds. Use a flat-bladed knife to stir until a dough forms. Knead gently and turn out onto a floured surface. Gently roll out until 2cm thick and using a 6cm round cutter, cut the scones out. Repeat until you have 12 scones. Place them on tray. If you don't have a cutter, simply grap fistfuls of the dough and shape into a ball on the tray. You may wish to brush them with buttermilk before baking for 20 minutes - 30 minutes or until golden and hollow when tapped on top.

Comments

  1. What a lovely recipe. I'll try this when pumpkin becomes available in my area. I've used up my canned supply and have to restock. I hope you are having a great day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  2. Scones are one of my favorite "small bread" (or small cake) !

    With my coffee or my tea in snack or with strawberry jam at breakfast, it's wondefull for me... Pumpkin scone it's new for me and it's original idea!

    Thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. here we don't use pumpkin much... pop it in the oven and bake,,or just cook and sprinkle with sugar....such great food!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Brittany...I think this recipe is greatly versatile with all kinds of winter squashes. I will have to try out these scones by using my favourite...Butternut ;o)

    Thanks for this lovely baked treat.

    Have a great weekend,
    Claudia

    ReplyDelete
  5. Did you know that Pumpkin Scones are a bit of an iconic Aussie bake? And did you know that I have actually been thinking about Pumpkin Scones quite a bit recently? So uncanny that you should have made some. They look fab!

    ReplyDelete
  6. They look delicious easy to make. last week-end I went up to the Barossa Valley farmers Market and bought 2 big pumpkins (got a bit carried away because they looked so gorgeous) so today I will try your beautiful pumpkin scones.
    Dianne xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Everything you post sends me directly to the kitchen! I have a soft spot for scones!
    Thanks for sharing!
    Hope all is going well for you, Happy Friday!
    Mimi

    ReplyDelete
  8. pumpkins are so sweet, I love them
    thanks for your comments

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love scones and anything pumpkin-flavored. These are a win-win for me, and the texture looks awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  10. j'aime bien cuisiner avec du babeurre je trouve qu'il apporte une certaine légèreté à la texture.
    tes scones ont l'air succulents
    bravo et bonne journée

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think your scones look perfect and really delicious! I have never tried a pumpkin scone but it sure sounds good:)

    ReplyDelete
  12. You are reminding us that pumpkin season is coming soon and we will be baking lots of pumpkin muffins, breads, cookies, pies and cakes.

    I am starting to collect some recipes for that time. Scones would make an admirable addition.

    ReplyDelete
  13. So many delicious things to eat on your blog. Anythingpumpkin usually catches my eye. These are a must do for me come Fall.

    ReplyDelete
  14. More than thousands of the website can help you for reaching out for the live games result and play bazaar satta king games results are free on the every website but there is big trouble for the live game and superfast result of satta king Play Bazaar is trusted websbite.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment