Apple & Almond Bread Pudding [Low fat]

This pudding was adapted from a recipe from Low Fat Food for Life by the Women's Weekly Magazine. It is en effet a healthier twist on the classic 'bread and butter pudding' and results in a comforting dessert that is just too easy to prepare.

Ingredients
2 medium green apples, cored, quartered and peeled
2 tbsp brown sugar
1 tbs water
2 1/2 cups no-fat milk
1 tsp vanilla bean paste
4 slices thick slice raisin/fruit bread
3 eggs
3/4 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
20 whole almonds

Method
Cut the prepared apples into 3mm slices. Dissolve brown sugar in the water and place in a medium frying pan over low heat. Add the apples and simmer for 5 minutes, uncovered, or until the apples are tender; stir occassionally. Preheat the oven to 160 degrees (fan-forced) and grease a 1.5L capacity ovenproof dish that is around 30cm long and 15cm wide. Combine the milk and vanilla paste in a medium saucepan; bring to a boil. Remove from heat; stand, covered for 5 minutes. Meanwhile, cut the bread slices into quarters and arrange the bread and apple in alternate layers into the prepared dish; scatter some almonds throughout the layers and leave around 7-8 almonds to sprinkle the top with. Whisk eggs, cinnamon and nutmeg in a seperate bowl. Gradually whisk the hot milk mixture into egg mixture. Pour egg mixture carefully over bread and apple. Sprinkle remaining almonds over the top layer. Place dish in a large baking dish; add enough boiling water to baking dish to come halfway up the side of the pudding dish. Bake, unconvered, in oven for around 1 hour or until set but not too dry. Serve plain or with your choice of sauce (icecream/custard/cream).
Serves 6 (per serving is 3.6g fat without almonds)

Comments

  1. I love anything pudding but, yours is healthier so, ist really interresting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whoa I didn't know you could make healthy bread pudding! I'm impressed...it's one of my favorite desserts. this looks scrumptious.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a lovely dessert, Brittany. This is one of my favorite treats and I'm delighted you've been able to develop a more healthy version. I hope you are having a great day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  4. My mom is always suggesting I make bread & butter pudding, but its never sounded very appealing - this recipe with apples makes it sound much more luxurious, I'll have to give it a shot just for her!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Brittany...any healthier version of a sweet treat is always welcomed.
    The one thing I got intrigued about is the vanilla bean paste...I've never seen it in these parts. One more thing on my discovery list. Thanks.

    Have a wonderful day,
    Claudia

    ReplyDelete
  6. Every time I stop by here....my mouth waters. We are currently traveling so it is a little hard to make anything more complicated than steaks or burgers on the grill.....but when I get home I'm going to jump in with both feet with your recipes.

    Yummy!!!!

    Jo

    ReplyDelete
  7. We seldom cook bread pudding here and mainly seen in hotels buffet, i've never eaten them before..but will try next time. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is heavenly to think of eating. What a perfect combination.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment