Bastille Day: French Custard Tart

These beautiful individual French tarts, based on a recipe by Jane Price, are perfect for a Bastille Day Treat. They are themed red, white and blue which are the colours of the French flag. The pastry is not too thick, sweet or heavy and is accompanied with an amazing and subtle vanilla custard. I can't describe how delicious they are; all I know is that there will be a lot more custard style tarts in my baking future! This recipe makes 8 individual tarts, for 1 large tart simply halve all the ingredients.

Ingredients for Pastry
250g plain flour
180g chilled butter, cubed
4 tablespoons icing sugar
4 tablespoons chilled water

Ingredients for Custard Filling
6 egg yolks
4 tablespoons caster sugar
4 tablespoons cornflour
2 cups milk (I used skim milk)
2 tsp vanilla essence
+ fruit for decoration (your choice, or theme it red and blue berry-fruit)
+ 2 spoonful apricot jam

Method
Preheat the oven to 180 degrees (fan-forced). Grease your individual tins or 1 tart tin. Make the pastry by sifting the flour into a bowl. With a wooden spoon mix the butter cubes through the flour until the butter is covered. Transfer to a food processor and slowly, and carefully, process the mixture until it resembles fine breadcrumbs. Alternatively, this step can be done with fingers. Then, mix in the icing sugar. Make a well in the centre and add the water. Take a spatula and use a cutting action until the mixture comes together. Add a drop more water if necessary, but ensure its chilled. Roll out the pastry between two sheets of cling film. Line your tins with the pastry, reusing the cut away pastry until you have none left. Refridgerate your 8, pastry lined, tins for 20 minutes. After this, line the tins with baking paper and spread baking beads or uncooked rice evenly over the paper. Bake for 15 minutes, remove the paper and beads/rice and bake for another 15 minutes, or until golden.
To make the filling, put the yolks, sugar and cornflour in a bowl and whisk until pale. Heat the milk in a saucepan until almost boiling, then remove from the heat and add gradually to the egg mixture; beating constantly. Strain back into the pan. Stir constantly over low heat for 4 minutes, or until the mixture boils and thickens. Do not over cook. Remove from the heat, and add the vanilla and stir through well. Immediately pour the custard filling into the cool pastry shell and top with your choice of fruit eg. strawberries, raspberries or blueberries. Melt the apricot jam over low heat, and gently brush a slightly cooled, thin, layer of jam over the fruit (only the fruit not the custard). Allow to set by cooling in the fridge before serving.

Comments

  1. ♥ Happy Bastile day to you too... Loving the little tarts :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful tarts! Happy Bastile Day

    ReplyDelete
  3. mmmmm these look lovely - tarts are so elegant I think! Lucie x

    ReplyDelete
  4. These look absolutely delicious!! Happy Bastille Day!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a wonderful treat. They are sooo yummy. Not just on Bastille day!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy Bastille Day! Yes, these a a magnificebt choice for the day, and look glorious in their red, (almost) white and blue colouration. And I am a sucker for a fruit tart.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy Bastille Day! Thanks for stopping by my blog. This looks really delicious - I had one for dessert earlier :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. elles sont sublimes tes petites tartelettes colorées, fraîches et surement délicieuses
    je te piquerai une au passage
    bonne soirée

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, my those look wonderful. I see some tart making in my future too.

    Thanks for visiting my blog and commenting!
    ~ingrid

    ReplyDelete
  10. these little tarts look fab !! Yesterday I made the chocolate croissants they were fantastik! & this morning because I had a guest coming for morning tea, I made the same but used asparagus spears and a tasty cheese - they were delicious and so easy to make - I'm going to try different variables may be 'feta & spinach' You've got me on a roll.
    Dianne xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. gorgeous looking tarts! Looks heavenly!

    ReplyDelete
  12. @ pudding lane, that is such a great idea, so glad it came in handy. i was also thinking you could put ham and cottage cheese in them. or even cottage cheese and a dried apricot slice..yum!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. These are so beautiful and perfect for your holiday. Happy Bastille Day! Thanks for sharing. Tarts are my favorite. I had a wonderful recipe at one time but misplaced it years ago. Looking forward to tasting these:)

    ReplyDelete
  14. How beautiful. What a perfect way to celebrate a special day. I hope you have a good day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  15. what a perfect little tart! great pastry, a nice custard and fresh fruit....
    fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  16. So pleased you left me a comment - what a fantastic blog you have. Love the look of these tarts!

    ReplyDelete
  17. A little to pressed for time lately...but I can assure you that your wonderful tasty recipes have not gone unnoticed. I can't wait for a little more down time and for the heat to subside. Tons of oven baking to do. I've taken down a few of your scrumptious recipes to make at a later time.

    BTW Brittany...Good luck in all your studies ;o)

    Flavourful wishes and Happy Bastille Day past,
    Claudia

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'll confess right here and now. I probably won't bake any of these but I get a thrill from reading about them. Custard is my favorite. I would LOVE these tarts.
    V

    ReplyDelete
  19. @ Virgina..that's okay haha, custard is my favourite too! And I get a thrill out of a lot of my blogging friends' recipes too. Nice to have you visit.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hi Brittany,

    wonderful looking tarts. iam sure it would have tasted delicious ! have bookmarked it. will surely try it !

    ReplyDelete
  21. Dear Brittany, This tart looks like a work of art! I am sure it tasted wonderful. I love the French custard filling and the pastry recipe sounds so good. I will try it.. Blessings, Catherine xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  22. Some ground almonds to the pastry works wonders!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment