Traditional French Madeleines

Even those these require a Madeleine tray, I thought I'd post the recipe because it's so delicious. You can purchase your own tray here for under $15, and it's worth it because these unique treats certainly do impress! They are best eaten the day they are made and I would recommend that you have all your ingredients organized and ready to use before you start baking because the recipe requires continuous beating.
Ingredients
2 eggs
3/4 tsp vanilla
generous pinch of salt
1/3 cup of caster sugar
1/2 cup plain flour
1 tablespoon of finely grated lemon rind
65g butter
icing sugar for dusting decoration

Method
Preheat your oven to 190 degrees (fan-forced). Melt butter and cool to room temperature. In a bowl beat eggs, vanilla and salt at high speed until light. Beating constantly, gradually add sugar; continue beating at high speed until mixture is thick and pale and ribbons form in the bowl when beaters are lifted (eg. 5 minutes). Sift flour into egg mixture 1/3 at a time, gently golding after each addition. Add lemon rind and pour melted butter around edge of batter. Quickly but gently fold butter into batter. Spoon batter into prepared tray; batter will mound slightly above the tops. Bake for 14 to 17 minutes or until golden. These cook quickly so keep a close eye on them. Use a knife to loosen from the tray, but let cool for around 10 minutes beforehand. Sprinkle with icing sugar and enjoy.

Comments

  1. Thanx for sharing this lovely recipe, they look gorgeous! just perfect to go with a cup of earl grey tea. I guess the beauty is that most ingredients would be staple in most kitchens and I have a lemon tree in my back-yard - so easy peasy.
    Dianne xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. They look so lovely! And it's so easy to eat these delicious, buttery, eggy treats on the day they are made-I always seem to finish them then!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes! They are perfect with a nice cuppa! And Lorraine, I'm glad I'm not the only one that finishes things the day I make them :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. YUM!!!! Those look soooooooooooo good. I bet they aren't on my diet. HATE THAT WORD! Have a great week. Charlene

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh yum! Madeleines are by far my most favorite cookie EVER!!! I even have a pan but haven't made them in almost 10 yars. Now I'm going to have to! Thanks!!!

    www.makignmemorieswithyourkids.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have yet to make Madalenas. Love them! Whenever I am at William Sonoma they are out of the nonstick Madalena pan. But one day I will be lucky.
    Yours look delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fine way of describing, and pleasant post to take information regarding my presentation
    focus, which i am going to convey in university.

    Also visit my blog post :: best diet plan

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment