French Picnic Quiche

This is a delicious recipe which I translated and borrowed from the French blog "sooishi". Originally it's from a German cook, Catherine Kluger, and its recommended for a picnic or Sunday lunch. I made it for dinner and it was very well recieved! I have never made my own pastry before, but it was rather straightforward.

Ingredients for Pastry
200g flour
1 pinch of salt
90g of very cold butter, cut into cubes
1 egg
2 tablespoons of cool water

Method for Pastry Shell
Mix flour and salt, then add the butter. Sand the dough gently between your fingertips until you have a fine "sand-like" mixture. Careful not to overwork the butter, lumps are acceptable here. Mix the beaten egg with fresh water and add to dough. Try to work the dough as little as possible, but make it homogeneous. Sandwich the dough in 2 pieces of cling wrap (ie. sandwich = 1 sheet of cling wrap + the dough in the middle + another cling wrap) and leave it in the fridge for 1 hour minimum (I left mine for around 4 hours whilst I went shopping and got on with my day). After it's been chilled, get out a round 20cm deep cake tin and grease it slightly. Then, get your dough and flatten the dough with the end of a rolling pin whilst still keeping it in the cling wrap. Then roll it out into a smooth dough, about 1cm thick and make it's circumfrence larger than your cake tin. Take one piece of your cling wrap off whilst holding it in your hand. Flip the dough into your cake tin, ensuring there is dough for the walls. There should be 1 piece of plastic cling wrap sitting on top of your dough which should now be snuggly in the cake tin. Smooth it out via the cling wring if needed, before taking the cling wrap away. Prick the dough with the bottom of a fork and then refridgerate it for 30 minutes. After this, line it with baking paper and put some rice or beans or baking weights and bake it for 30 minutes on 160 degrees (fanforced). Remove the weight, and then the pastry with 1 beaten egg. Put the tart back in the oven for 3 more minutes before filling.

Ingredients for filling
300mL milk
200mL of carnation light and creamy evaporated milk (or cream if you desire)
3 eggs
pinch of salt
pinch of pepper
150g of roughly chopped fresh tomatoes
1 clove of garlic
1 onion
100g mozzarella
150g zucchini
150g fresh tomatoes
fresh basil
olive oil
Method for total quiche
Mix vigorously together the 3 eggs, milk, evaporated creamy milk, salt and pepper. Set aside. Wash the zucchini and slice them into very thin slices. Cook them in the microwave with a little bit of water for around 4 minutes on high. Meanwhile, bring your pan with a generous drizzle of olive oil to high heat. Sauté the garlic and finely chopped onion together for around 1-2 minutes. Then, add in the roughly chopped tomatoes. Simmer over low heat for 20 minutes. Add a pinch or two of sugar to reduce the acidity. Then, remove it from the heat and mix some freshly chopped basil. Pour this stewed tomato and onion mixture into the bottom of the prebaked pastry pie. Spread it evenly. Then cover it with a layer of the cooked zucchini (be sure to drain the water before using). Then cut the other fresh tomatoes into slices and lay them on top of the zucchini. Then put mozzarella on top and sprinkle it with basil. Pour the egg mixture over and fill it to the edge of the pie. Cook in the oven for around 40 minutes, or until golden brown.
Serve with a salad.

Note: "Sooishi" has step by step images for the essembly of the tart. Simply click here to see

Comments

  1. I'm going to make some of these. It looks very yummy!

    PS The Pudding Cups are pretty easy if you have regular 5" balloons.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would love to make that quiche but I would use individual tart cases so that I could take them to my "French Class" end of term luncheon.
    I'm wondering about the baking time maybe 15mins - any-one any idea's Please ...
    Dianne

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dianne, that's a great idea. Currently I'm making a Fruit Tart and French Madeleines to bring to my mother's end of term french class tomorrow! (How funny would it be if you turned out to be in the same class!) Tell me how your quiche goes, I'm sure it will be much appreciated. As far as cooking time goes, it does depend on the size of the quiche tarts that you purchase and your oven. My oven is fan-forced, but I think I'd cook the filling for around 15 minutes or maybe 20? Because your experimenting I would advise that you keep a close eye on them, you don't want them to burn. Make sure you test the quiche's with a skewer when you think their done, you don't won't soggy uncooked quiche at the bottom :)

    Thanks for your comment.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I must say, the quiche looks extremely appetising - I'll have to try it out soon.

    Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  5. OHHHH My,, this is right up my alley. I love this. And your blog. Thank you for coming to my Sandwich blog. I appreciate so much the connection and look forward to seeing you often. I'm following you now. Your blog is Too Cool! Keri a.k.a. Sam

    ReplyDelete
  6. More than thousands of the website can help you for reaching out for the live games result and play bazaar satta king games results are free on the every website but there is big trouble for the live game and superfast result of satta king Play Bazaar is trusted websbite.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment